The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

21 minutes ago, mll said:

It's a combination of different players to win and it depends what needs a team are looking to address - they won't find it in one player.

The type of players that Jenner and Foligno are - the teams they play for are meaningless in the example.  It's illusory to think every young player is going to become as good as Miller - ie someone that can't produce like him can't be doing some of the things he does or they will end up on the wrong side of the equation.  Guys like Foligno, Jenner will work and stay on the right side of the puck.  It's the kind of work ethic that a lot of teams want to promote and instil in their players.  If a team wants to address culture those type of players are better suited than a high end producer who might get away with things others can't.

Btw Minnesota is nicknamed the State of Hockey.  No state has produced more NHLers than Minnesota. 

Hold my beer said almost every Canadian Province.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

So if the package were a top three pick this year, severson, holtz and bahl you'd say no?

Tempting, but still no. Hughes is a proven star, on a team-friendly long term deal. We'd have to get back several PROVEN pieces of significant value. Holtz, Bahl and a top 3 pick are all unproven at NHL level. Severson is a known quantity but is only signed for 1 more season.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I believe he said “State of hockey”. Every Canadian province team blows Minnesota out of the water in terms of NHL’ers produced.

Doesn't look to be that way more recently.  They had the close to the same number of skaters as BC, Quebec and Alberta this season.  

1004 skaters dressed for at least 1 game this season - 45 born in BC to 58 born in Alberta.  Minnesota 53. 

611 played at least 40 games.  27 born in Alberta to 32 in Quebec.  Minnesota 30.  

Over the past 5 seasons Minnesota and BC each had 44 skaters play a minimum of 50 games.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, stawns said:

holtz was a ppg player in the AHL as a 20 year old,  He's going to be an impact player in very short order

Meh, I’d rather have a proven young 20+ goal scorer, than someone who is a hopeful.

I think Sharangovich is due for a breakout year, especially on a team who struggles to score at even strength (only 2 of his 24 goals were on the PP). Plus, it gives Podkolzin a countrymen to befriend with.

5 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I believe he said “State of hockey”. Every Canadian province team blows Minnesota out of the water in terms of NHL’ers produced.

I believe you said what I said he said but with the words he said.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mll said:

Doesn't look to be that way more recently.  They had the close to the same number of skaters as BC, Quebec and Alberta this season.  

1004 skaters dressed for at least 1 game this season - 45 born in BC to 58 born in Alberta.  Minnesota 53. 

611 played at least 40 games.  27 born in Alberta to 32 in Quebec.  Minnesota 30.  

Over the past 5 seasons Minnesota and BC each had 44 skaters play a minimum of 50 games.

It depends on if you’re talking about over recent history only or if you mean in history entirely.

9 hours ago, stawns said:

So if the package were a top three pick this year, severson, holtz and bahl you'd say no?

I would hope our GM says no to that. Severson is good, not elite. We don't know what hotlz and bahl will be. Top 3 pick is nice, could be good, could be a Nail. 

You don't trade someone who is already a top 8 scoring d man at 22 for chances at stuff. 

Edited by JM_

32 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I would hope our GM says no to that. Severson is good, not elite. We don't know what hotlz and bahl will be. Top 3 pick is nice, could be good, could be a Nail. 

You don't trade someone who is already a top 8 scoring d man at 22 for chances at stuff. 

Again, holtz scored scored 26 goals as a 20 year old in the ahl and had 25 assists and was a ppg player.  That's a pretty sure bet. 

Bahl is a little more of a guess, but is a pretty sure bet NHL dman.......more in the shut down type, but is an excellent skater. 

Severson is a solid all around dman at a good age and contract for this group.

Obviously the top 3 pick could be a franchise type player, but is never a sure thing either.  

Ultimately that's 4 players into the lineup over the next cpl years and only sending one out.  I'm not sure id do it either, but it's certainly tempting

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Again, holtz scored scored 26 goals as a 20 year old in the ahl and had 25 assists and was a ppg player.  That's a pretty sure bet. 

Well, those are numbers Darren Archibald put up too. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Bahl is a little more of a guess, but is a pretty sure bet NHL dman.......more in the shut down type, but is an excellent skater. 

Severson is a solid all around dman at a good age and contract for this group.

Obviously the top 3 pick could be a franchise type player, but is never a sure thing either.  

Ultimately that's 4 players into the lineup over the next cpl years and only sending one out.  I'm not sure id do it either, but it's certainly tempting

Its not tempting for me. Actual elite players are so rare, you don't move one unless you're forced to imo. 

On 5/6/2022 at 7:51 AM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Makar, Fox, Hughes, Heiskanen, Seider, Dobson, Dahlenm Drysdale,  all in the new wave of young Dmen

Add in the unknowns.........Luke Hughes, Clarke, Faber, Nemec and Jiricek, and anyone else that shows up, and anyone of them could win the Norris

I think it is safe to say that Quinn Hughes is a great young defenseman, but there are alot of great young defensemen...................

2020-2021...............Fox won the Norris

2021-2022...............Makar will win the Norris

That is about all we know, and if you look at the teams they play for, both Playoff teams, where they receive above average support, it all plays into it............

Is Quinn a Norris candidate? Sure! Is Quinn a top 10 Dman in the league today? Well, maybe, but not top 5, IMHO

Makar

Fox

Hedman

Josi

Ekblad

Doughty

MacAvoy

Pietrangelo

Theodore

Carson

Rielly

Letang

Spurgeon

Hamilton

Karlsson

Burns

Heiskanen

Hughes

All of these guys have different qualities, are different ages, and all can dominate a game. Is Hughes top 5 out of this list? Is he top 10 on this list? I am not even sure of that.

Quinn Hughes is a great young Defenseman, who is the best we have ever had, certainly the best we have ever drafted, but is is mostly an offensive defenseman with limited defensive qualities. To put him anywhere near top 10 of all time, is just pure silliness, and who ever thinks he is, does not know the NHL defenseman who have come before him.

We would be lucky if Quinn Hughes was top 50 of all time, at this point in time.

Lets be real here..........

Jersey would way overpay to put the three Hughes’ boys together too.  They need any edge they can get in tha5 market to get attention.  

We could get their first + what else?  + + +

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jersey would way overpay to put the three Hughes’ boys together too.  They need any edge they can get in tha5 market to get attention.  

Would have to start with # 5 overall 2022 draft, Holtz 20 - Smith 22 LD--  Woods 6'2, 26 ,W --2023- 3rd rounder

Only way you trade a star D man, Hughes 22 years old that will produce over 60 points and create lots of offence ..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we had to trade him I would want their 2022 1st, 2023 1st, Mercer and Holtz. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, wildcam said:

Would have to start with # 5 overall 2022 draft, Holtz 20 - Smith 22 LD--  Woods 6'2, 26 ,W --2023- 3rd rounder

Only way you trade a star D man, Hughes 22 years old that will produce over 60 points and create lots of offence ..

Vancouver is one of the lowest 5v5 scoring teams.  Not sure it's always the most efficient approach to have the puck spend more time on the stick of the Ds than the Fs in the o-zone.  Fitzgerald just talked of how encouraged he is by their offence generation so not convinced that Hughes would be the type of D he is looking for - Hischier and Jack generate offence and need to have the puck.  NJD had goaltending issues and need finishers.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Vancouver is one of the lowest 5v5 scoring teams.  Not sure it's always the most efficient approach to have the puck spend more time on the stick of the Ds than the Fs in the o-zone.  Fitzgerald just talked of how encouraged he is by their offence generation so not convinced that Hughes would be the type of D he is looking for - Hischier and Jack generate offence and need to have the puck.  NJD had goaltending issues and need finishers.

Jersey would move a lot to get the three brothers together.  They are fighting in the toughest market out there to get any exposure.  The three Hughes’ boys would be a marketing dream.  It’s not about the hockey move for them. 

I’m confident we could get their 2022 first and add a lot more.  

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jersey would move a lot to get the three brothers together.  They are fighting in the toughest market out there to get any exposure.  The three Hughes’ boys would be a marketing dream.  It’s not about the hockey move for them. 

I’m confident we could get their 2022 first and add a lot more.  

What's the fun of watching a losing team though?  Vancouver had the Sedins and the arena was empty when they were losing.  Why any different in New Jersey? 

30 minutes ago, mll said:

if they need finishers, do you think Boeser would be a fit?

Sign and trade Boeser.

Boeser • Rathbone • & #15

For

Zacha • Mukhamadullin • & #5

This clears cap and roster space for us and stretches our timeline a little.

Zacha is still up trending and could fill Boesers position.

( not a Boeser for Zacha trade or comparison)

Mukhamadulin has great potential, a great skating 6’4 D man.. if he arrives.

(a gamble on uncertainty and NA ice)

KHL contract expires this season, his next season should be decided shortly.

#5 pick is gratuitous to Boesers better over all player value and the #15 pick coming back.

* then trade them all for D man Dahlin from Buffalo. :) 

For the Devils,

•Boeser is proven,

•Rathbone has great potential and played a lot on NA ice.. arguably ready to make the step to the NHL .

•the 15 is still something they could bargain with, or keeps them close to the top 10 pick.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1