The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

23 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Sure thing... or if we were to promote Klimovich and entice Kuzmenko over... then we get to form a Soviet line!! 

haven't heard too much on Kuzmenko and where he might land. Canucks' chances good with the guy? 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Hedman won it before Makar was in the league, no? 

Not sure about Adam Fox. 

Fox won it last year, Josi the year before.  Hedman and Josi will both give Makar a run for his money this year.  They will be the 3 finalists.  I think Josi will win it.  If Josi played on Colorado he would have had 120 points this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Is Miller really that solid veteran presence.  Miller has some of his short-comings forgiven because of his production but is he really the example to follow - the guys aren't all going to be top end players.  If you are building a contender with a lot of youth wouldn't you prefer someone that is on the right side of the puck and doesn't give up on plays or tries to dangle through guys when the safe play is getting it in deep?  

Minnesota has entrusted that veteran role to Foligno.  It's Boone Jenner in Columbus.  Don't know who could be available but if it's about culture and making sure of playing the right way - those type of players seem better suited.  For production, Miller if not for his age, so looking at younger options there. 

I don't think you're giving Miller enough credit for how he's grown as a leader over his time here. 

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't think you're giving Miller enough credit for how he's grown as a leader over his time here. 

I think he has off the ice but not always sure he shows it on the ice.  

Sat Shah says when the going was tough he was the one trying to keep the team going and keep everyone engaged.  Boudreau talked of how he addressed the room when they weren't playing well etc.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

I think he has off the ice but not always sure he shows it on the ice.  

Sat Shah says when the going was tough he was the one trying to keep the team going and keep everyone engaged.  Boudreau talked of how he addressed the room when they weren't playing well etc.  

I do think we've seen him take both Boeser and Podz under his wing a bit too. 

I get what you're saying about end of contract value and the risk of older players, but guys like Miller also don't become available every year. Sometimes teams need to take calculated risks. Will Miller be a 99 pt player in 6 years, almost certainly not. Could he still be a 40 pt 3rd line C and valuable in the playoffs? I'd say that isn't unrealistic. 

Edited by JM_

57 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

haven't heard too much on Kuzmenko and where he might land. Canucks' chances good with the guy? 

VERY good according to reports... but then again he might pick the Oilers coz of the McDavid-Draisaitl attraction... who knows!

Kuzmenko spent 2 years playing with Podz on the SKA team but no word on how much they actually played on the same line... I think not much... but at least a famiiar face here!

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

It wants that long ago (the first half of the season)  that we were talking again about the pouty, bad attitude, sulking Miller

… so I don’t buy him having grown that much as a leader.  It is easy to have a good attitude and be a good leader when stuff is going well.  A lot harder to come out in front of the cameras during the rough times.

to NJ - #15, Boeser and Hoglander

to VAN - #5

to NJ - Garland and Myers

to VAN: Severson and Zacha

Sign (UFAs) Burakovsky and Nichushkin

Burakovsky - Miller - Podkolzin

Zacha - Pettersson - Nichushkin

OEL - Severson

Hughes - Schenn (then Jiricek or Nemec)

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

It wants that long ago (the first half of the season)  that we were talking again about the pouty, bad attitude, sulking Miller

… so I don’t buy him having grown that much as a leader.  It is easy to have a good attitude and be a good leader when stuff is going well.  A lot harder to come out in front of the cameras during the rough times.

we may have been, I don't believe the players were. I think the whole pouty thing is really overblown like a lot of yap in this market. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

to NJ - #15, Boeser and Hoglander

to VAN - #5

to NJ - Garland and Myers

to VAN: Severson and Zacha

Sign (UFAs) Burakovsky and Nichushkin

Burakovsky - Miller - Podkolzin

Zacha - Pettersson - Nichushkin

OEL - Severson

Hughes - Schenn (then Jiricek or Nemec)

I think we will need to wait a few days and see where that NJD pick ends up after the lottery, could be a #1 pick, could be a #7 pick. Doubt they trade it until they know exactly what they have in hand.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fox won it last year. Josi will win it this year. I’d even put Hedman ahead of Makar this year. So he still has some work to do to actually win the Norris. 

Makar isn’t Bobby Orr or even Nik Lidstrom. There are guys equal to or better than him playing right now. 

Believe the post was Hughes vs Makar, not Orr, Lindstrom or anyone else. They are two young defensemen, 22 & 23 who are exceptional but yes still learning and developing, I Agree with the original poster and think you may have missed the point IMO. I am a HUGE QH fan but given the chance to trade him straight up for Makar I would have a really hard time saying no :(

6 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Next year isn't Shane Wright.

See superstars like Connor McDavid and Sidney Crosby.

My assumption was that the discussion was around NJ and a possible 1st this year. If we're talking Bedard next year that changes things but there is still no sure thing in the draft. Who's gonna give up Bedard anyway, so pointless conjecture. I stand by my statement I'm not trading QH for a roll of the draft dice. 

1 minute ago, Moe Knows said:

My assumption was that the discussion was around NJ and a possible 1st this year. If we're talking Bedard next year that changes things but there is still no sure thing in the draft. Who's gonna give up Bedard anyway, so pointless conjecture. I stand by my statement I'm not trading QH for a roll of the draft dice. 

Sounds good.

The question I responded to was very hypothetical. Would you trade QH for the 2023 1st OA?

Reality does not work like that.

2 hours ago, Zhukini said:

6 years ago maybe. He's a good 3, maybe a 2nd guy on a bad team

Nah he’s a 1D.

Take out OEL and Hughes and the Canucks are the thinnest team on D.

Put them in the the Canucks are in the upper .600’s.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Moe Knows said:

Believe the post was Hughes vs Makar, not Orr, Lindstrom or anyone else. They are two young defensemen, 22 & 23 who are exceptional but yes still learning and developing, I Agree with the original poster and think you may have missed the point IMO. I am a HUGE QH fan but given the chance to trade him straight up for Makar I would have a really hard time saying no :(

I believe my first response was about a post saying Quinn would become an all time great, top 5-10 all time.  I then responded with the Bobby Orr comparison and it went from there.

As for Quinn versus Makar, Makar is obviously the better player, I never mentioned that he wasn't.  Makar hasn't won a Norris yet though.  Josi could still take it this year and Josi, Hedman and Fox are all in the running next year as well.  I don't see Makar as being so in front of those guys like Bobby Orr was in front of his peers when he played, so I don't see Makar winning like 5-6 Norris trophies in a row.  It could happen, but I doubt it.  The only trophy it seems that will be dominated for some time is the Art Ross trophy by McDavid.  It seems he can get those points he needs when he needs them.  I thought Huberdeau had a shot this year but it didn't happen.  With the amount of ice time McDavid gets and having Draisaitl with him I see him getting another 4-5 Art Ross trophies in a row I think.  We will see.

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Nah he’s a 1D.

Take out OEL and Hughes and the Canucks are the thinnest team on D.

Put them in the the Canucks are in the upper .600’s.

I think people are forgetting how well OEL played when Hughes was injured.  He was playing like a legit #1 D putting up points while taking the tough match ups.  If he wasn't tasked with full on shutdown duties he'd be putting up better numbers.

Can't remember which poster had the idea but it would be interesting to see Hughes - OEL as a pairing.  Both great skaters with offensive instincts and a good defensive game.

But then we'd need another LD to handle the tough minutes.  Going to be an interesting off season that's for sure.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I believe my first response was about a post saying Quinn would become an all time great, top 5-10 all time.  I then responded with the Bobby Orr comparison and it went from there.

As for Quinn versus Makar, Makar is obviously the better player, I never mentioned that he wasn't.  Makar hasn't won a Norris yet though.  Josi could still take it this year and Josi, Hedman and Fox are all in the running next year as well.  I don't see Makar as being so in front of those guys like Bobby Orr was in front of his peers when he played, so I don't see Makar winning like 5-6 Norris trophies in a row.  It could happen, but I doubt it.  The only trophy it seems that will be dominated for some time is the Art Ross trophy by McDavid.  It seems he can get those points he needs when he needs them.  I thought Huberdeau had a shot this year but it didn't happen.  With the amount of ice time McDavid gets and having Draisaitl with him I see him getting another 4-5 Art Ross trophies in a row I think.  We will see.

Thanks I Agree. No offense intended. Yes probably Josi but I think it may be close

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I think we will need to wait a few days and see where that NJD pick ends up after the lottery, could be a #1 pick, could be a #7 pick. Doubt they trade it until they know exactly what they have in hand.

so let's say the lottery comes and goes and NJ's pick is clear and they want QH for the brother trio and they are serious about a package (not just the pick, but a serious move to get Hughes) including their first pick.  Should the Canucks listen and give it serious consideration if..........

The pick is #1 overall?

The pick is #2-3?

The pick is #4-5?

The pick is 6-7?