The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Slafkovsky is awesome! If he can play center I’d be down for a trade!

Me too!  I’m just hoping our owner will allow JR to make moves that do take us a step back, but tjat will have us leap forward in two years.  Old ?Alf doesn’t trust our owner to do what’s best for our club’s future.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Me too!  I’m just hoping our owner will allow JR to make moves that do take us a step back, but tjat will have us leap forward in two years.  Old ?Alf doesn’t trust our owner to do what’s best for our club’s future.  

I’m just hoping that it’s Miller NJ is willing to give up that pick for and not just Quinn Hughes.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m just hoping that it’s Miller NJ is willing to give up that pick for and not just Quinn Hughes.

What would it take for us the get Jack and Luke?  How about our owner does whatever it takes to bring the three brothers here? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Trading Hughes seems pretty improbable... especially for that return.

Hughes and Demko are the two players the new regime gushes over.  Of our three young stars, it would be Petterson I would be least surprised if he moved.  They haven't seemed sold on him being a top line centre.  JR even mentioned at the end of the season about Petterson possibly being on the wing.  That probably would only be if Miller was re-signed... but the love hasn't been quite there for Petterson.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

imo if they are talking about the 2nd OA it's Hughes and only Hughes.  I see no reason for them tpo make a move like that for Miller.  If that's the case, perhaps they have another deal for Byram and Miller.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What would it take for us the get Jack and Luke?  How about our owner does whatever it takes to bring the three brothers here? 

Only way to one up the last set of brothers! Two Sedins? I see that with three Hughes' 

Edited by Rick_theRyper

1 hour ago, stawns said:

imo if they are talking about the 2nd OA it's Hughes and only Hughes.  I see no reason for them tpo make a move like that for Miller.  If that's the case, perhaps they have another deal for Byram and Miller.

Miller is a whole lot closer to the value of a 2OA than Hughes.

Hughes would be numerous first round picks, multiple top prospects, plus more.

It makes far less sense for the Canucks to trade Hughes than it makes for Jersey to give their 2OA for Miller.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not going to happen. Would take too much. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

No way the Canucks brass does that. Quinn for the 2nd OA? Nope. No thanks. 

I’d rather give them Miller for the 2OA straight up, even. We’d then be able to draft Nemec, who would be Quinn’s defensive partner for the next decade, and Jersey would have Miller for another year, possibly for more depending on negotiations, but at that point, it wouldn’t be the Canucks’ problem. 

7 hours ago, Provost said:

To get the rumour mill going even more crazy.... The Canucks interviewed Slafkovsky (the expected 2nd overall pick) and asked him if he could play centre.

This is per Marek and Friddman who spoke with the player.

Due diligence, or some actual conversations about the possibility of moving up to 2nd overall?  Probably the former but it does make you think the teams have had some discussions about the possibility at least.

You're probably right but if you're asking a player if they could potentially switch their positions, I think it indicates something a little more at least imo. The question is a little fishy.

Usually, if you're just doing your due diligence with a player you are set on not selecting, I think you just do a straightforward interview about their attributes as a player and their goals.

Just my mind wandering off but yeah it's still most likely just due diligence.

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

No way the Canucks brass does that. Quinn for the 2nd OA? Nope. No thanks. 

I’d rather give them Miller for the 2OA straight up, even. We’d then be able to draft Nemec, who would be Quinn’s defensive partner for the next decade, and Jersey would have Miller for another year, possibly for more depending on negotiations, but at that point, it wouldn’t be the Canucks’ problem. 

What if it’s more than just the 2nd overall? What if they love the sell of all 3 Hughes brothers so much that they offer something that really looks like they lose the trade off first glance just to get it done. If they offer up 2nd overall, Mercer and Ty Smith for Quinn Hughes.

46 minutes ago, Provost said:

Miller is a whole lot closer to the value of a 2OA than Hughes.

Hughes would be numerous first round picks, multiple top prospects, plus more.

It makes far less sense for the Canucks to trade Hughes than it makes for Jersey to give their 2OA for Miller.

Obviously it wouldn't be Hughes for the 2oa

2 hours ago, billabong said:

To njd: Miller, boeser

To van: 2nd overall pick, zacha, smith 

I would definitely be open to a deal like this for multiple reasons... 

1) Cap space -  Brock most likely going to take his 1 yr QO at 7.5 and Miller is a UFA after next season and at worst will get 8 million on a 7 year deal. We aren't a playoff team with these two currently making in the 5 million range, how are we suppose to get better with them making 7.5 and 8 (realistically closer to 9)... If Brock is getting paid 7.5, Miller definitely deserves 9. We can't afford that. Personally for me Brock isn't fast enough and is injury prone. We should be building around Horvat, Petey, Hughes and Demko. 

2) We keep our 15th overall selection which we can select another player or trade down later into the first round and get a 2nd round pick. 

3) We get younger and definitely make positive strides in replenishing our prospect pool. 

With all that said, I would like a prospect/young player other than Smith. We already have Rathbone and Hughes on the left side that are under six feet. I'd look at Shakir Mukhamadullin (D - 6'3 200) or Micheal McLeod ( 6'2 bottom 6 C but F/O beast and can PK). Just depends which 3rd piece we value more. A young D with potential or a current roster player that could fill the PK and defensive zone face-offs of Miller. 

Of Course all this doesn't really matter if Miller doesn't pre-agree to an extension with Jersey. 

• Like 1

OK.  My take on this van and Jersey asking about the centre potential for Slafkovsky.

If the Devils are asking if he can play C while having Hischier and Hughes, it means Zacha is gone.  Period.  It does not mean for a second though that it supplants Hischier or Hughes.  

With the notion Zacha may be gone; it also brings to mind the question.  If Vancouver is asking and Jersey is asking.  is jersey knowing Vancouver is wondering, and also looking for confirmation to see if Vancouver WILL in fact dangle a carrot juicy enough to get the devils to trade yet another bit of found money asset in their 3rd lotto win in 6 years.

Personally.  If I am seeing that the team holding the 3rd piece of the most dynamic family in hockey today is seeking if he's a centre, I am also gonna ask because I want knowledge about that because knowledge in that instance is power.  Van has MIller/Boeser/Hughes and pick 15 and any of those or a combo of any 2 of those helps Jersey immensely. 

I'd also wanna know so I could nudge van and tell them "he's the possible future centre you need; we know and you know so let's get down to brass tacks boys and make a deal". Again, if Fitzgerald knows and Van knows; it takes that power away from Van in a deal making situation and levels the playing field a bit.

3 hours ago, billabong said:

To njd: Miller, boeser

To van: 2nd overall pick, zacha, smith 

Add in a goalie prospect like Silvos/Martin/DiPietro to sweeten the pot and ensure there's a guaranteed contract from Miller he'd be willing to sign and I think this is more than possible

Personally I think if Miller does not sign an extension here,  

He will let his contract expire into Free Agency irregardless of being traded or not.

If he is traded,  that team will consider him a “rental” because of that ,  

and the return for Miller will not be anything near some of the expectations in thread.

Edited by SilentSam

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

What if it’s more than just the 2nd overall? What if they love the sell of all 3 Hughes brothers so much that they offer something that really looks like they lose the trade off first glance just to get it done. If they offer up 2nd overall, Mercer and Ty Smith for Quinn Hughes.

Ty Smith? Still wouldn’t do it. 

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Canucks have waited over 50 years to have a genuine, #1, Norris-finalist type defenseman. We finally have one, and he's locked up at a ridiculously low cap hit through much of his prime.

There's simply nothing that a team would consider offering that would be worth trading him for. It could be decades before we find another player like him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1