The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Off Season Moves [Miller/ Forsberg/ Toronto Offer Sheet?] [PROPOSAL/DISCUSSION]

Canucks move Miller as discussed to NYR/ Vegas allowing us to re stock our draft pool/ gain picks in the Top 3 rounds and ultimately improve our Right side of defence.

Boeser is signed to a cheaper deal, less then his 7.2 M offer for 3 to 4 year period as a show us deal once again.

We would take the $ saved on possibly Millers contract being moved out and go after Filip Forsberg from the Predators as he is a UFA. Preds can easily re sign him, but we offer him 7.5M x 6 years and a chance to play with his fellow Sweden teammates in Petey, Hoglander, OEL. Giving us a legit LW that we have been lacking.

Kuzmenko enters as a mid LW for us playing with Horvat or our future 3C.

---

Now Toronto you may ask, another season failed.... They only have 2.9M next year in cap space- in which Campbell needs a raise. This leaves 2 defensive prospects in Sandin and Liljegren at risk of an offer sheet.

We can either trade for them both or offer sheet.  Only downside is we lack a 2nd rd pick this year, probably prohibiting us to make an offer sheet for Liljegrin as he would command 2.5 to 3.5 M and Sandin near 1.25M

Regardless this allows us to improve our lack of defence depth at a low cost and gets us 2 young dmen we need in our organization.

Potentially we can move Myers at this point and go after a partner for Hughes and allow for a 2nd Pairing of OEL Schenn

Edited by PunjabiCanucks

• PunjabiCanucks changed the title to Off Season Moves [Miller/ Forsberg/ Toronto Offer Sheet?] [PROPOSAL/DISCUSSION]
9 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Does Sandin and Liljegren really move the needle for us? Toronto's not exactly known for having a lights-out D.

Neither of those players can play any defence whatsoever and both belong in the AHL.  I wouldn't take either of those pylons for free, let alone give up something actually useful for them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If I’m not mistaken offer sheet compensation picks would be 2023. For example. The compensation for the Kotkaniemi offer sheet last summer were 2022 draft picks. 

Vancouver  currently has all their 2023 picks except for the 7th. 

IF Miller isn’t re-signed, and Bergeron retires BOS could be a possible landing spot.  

I like PF, however in light of risking another Player Name like contract, Id much rather allocate that cap space to a proven contributor like Miller.   

I think the Canucks need to focus on more efficient/lower risk contracts and save that cap space for when their younger guys (including future acquisitions) come off ELC’s etc.  

33 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

IF Miller isn’t re-signed, and Bergeron retires BOS could be a possible landing spot.  

I like PF, however in light of risking another Player Name like contract, Id much rather allocate that cap space to a proven contributor like Miller.   

I think the Canucks need to focus on more efficient/lower risk contracts and save that cap space for when their younger guys (including future acquisitions) come off ELC’s etc.  

I hope new management team go after Nick Paul 27, 6'3, 225lbs plays with energy top 9 player UFA this summer? Say 3 yrs X 1.7 million depth player fits in great since trade to Tampa...

Trade Miller to NYR, LA Kings, lots of young prospects and both team need Miller for playoffs next season..

Look at LA. Kings key guys, Kopitar 34, Doughty 32, Quick 35 they really need to add a Miller 29....

Kuzmenko. 26, W-- Hope he signs

Sign another RD man --

Domi 27, would fit in nice if Miller is traded?  2 yrs X 4.8  show me more plays in top 6... GP 75 --G 21-24 -- PTS 58--62--Plays with grit, skill

Rathbone on 3rd pairing -

1.Hughes -- _______ ( Schenn- Dermott )

2.OEL -- ( Myers - possible move )

3.Rathbone -- Poolman -- Juulsan 6'2, 205 RD-- Keeper 6'2 RD

• Like 1

If it was that easy Nashville would have already re-signed Forsberg.  He's looking for a mega deal.  7.5Mx 6 is by far insufficient when he's chasing 9M x 8.

Zibanejad and Hertl got upwards of 8M x 8.  In Nashville Johansen and Duchene are 8M and Josi is 9M - Forbserg looking for the Josi deal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I hope new management team go after Nick Paul 27, 6'3, 225lbs plays with energy top 9 player UFA this summer? Say 3 yrs X 1.7 million depth player fits in great since trade to Tampa...

Trade Miller to NYR, LA Kings, lots of young prospects and both team need Miller for playoffs next season..

Look at LA. Kings key guys, Kopitar 34, Doughty 32, Quick 35 they really need to add a Miller 29....

Sign another RD man --

Domi 27, would fit in nice if Miller is traded?  2 yrs X 4.8  show me more plays in top 6... GP 75 --G 21-24 -- PTS 58--62--Plays with grit, skill

Kings would be a great trade partner, a Miller extension would kick in as Quick's deal is expiring too 

They've got a lot of great youth I'd love to have 

They'll need someone in that Kopitar spot soon and while they've got some great center prospects nobody's close to stepping into that spot yet 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Kings would be a great trade partner, a Miller extension would kick in as Quick's deal is expiring too 

They've got a lot of great youth I'd love to have 

They'll need someone in that Kopitar spot soon and while they've got some great center prospects nobody's close to stepping into that spot yet 

Was Byfield injured or did the Kings give up on playing him (in this series) because he was so bad?  

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Sign another RD man --

lol.. you know it's like 3 years ago max domi got 17 goals.. and he's been down at 9 and 11 goals the last 2 seasons.. so i dunno why people insist on signing him.. he's not even known to be a scorer.. he had that 1 good season in montreal and that's basically it so i dunno why ppl thinks he can be a 20+ goal scorer.. so pay 5mil for a guy that have grit? and will net u 10 goals? easy pass.. really the guy had 2 good seasons in his entire nhl career.. and have been declining every year since his career year in montreal..

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Sign another RD man --

Ive had my eye on Paul for awhile, and was hoping the Canucks could sign him in the summer.  However, I think his playoff performance is gonna increase his demand a lot, unfortunately for us.  Maybe the Canucks can circle back to Motte if hes healthy (Paul-lite)

16 hours ago, wildcam said:

Paul will get a deal in the $3-3.5 million range as a UFA.  I'd consider him if Miller is traded and we don't get a 3C in return...

15 hours ago, mll said:

If it was that easy Nashville would have already re-signed Forsberg.  He's looking for a mega deal.  7.5Mx 6 is by far insufficient when he's chasing 9M x 8.

Zibanejad and Hertl got upwards of 8M x 8.  In Nashville Johansen and Duchene are 8M and Josi is 9M - Forbserg looking for the Josi deal.

Vancouver would need to offer Forsberg a 9x7 contract to get a deal done.  Miller and one of Boeser or Garland would have to be traded as well to make the numbers work.

Adding Forsberg and Kuzmenko would solidify our top 6 and we either get a 3C in a Miller trade (Nicolas Roy) or we go after a UFA like Nicholas Paul...

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Vancouver would need to offer Forsberg a 9x7 contract to get a deal done.

In terms of take home pay, $8.0m in NSH is the same as $9.4m in VAN. I think we'd need to be offering at least that amount for Forsberg

This is insanity.  You are suggesting sending JT Miller to a divisional rival???????  Sending him to Vegas?? Seriously???  The rest of the OP is great but I don't relish the prospect of Vegas and Miller destroying us every time we play them.

Edited by CanucksFan8353

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

In terms of take home pay, $8.0m in NSH is the same as $9.4m in VAN. I think we'd need to be offering at least that amount for Forsberg

US dollar is 25% more on exchange.  8 mil US is 10 mil spending money up here.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

US dollar is 25% more on exchange.  8 mil US is 10 mil spending money up here.  

That argument would be fine if the cost of living in VAN was lower than in NSH. However, the costs of housing, groceries, restaurants, transportation, entertainment and clothing is significantly more expensive in VAN compared to NSH, even when exchange rate is accounted for.

2 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

That argument would be fine if the cost of living in VAN was lower than in NSH. However, the costs of housing, groceries, restaurants, transportation, entertainment and clothing is significantly more expensive in VAN compared to NSH, even when exchange rate is accounted for.

Live in Winnipeg and commute.  

• Haha 1