The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lawsuit Against Hockey Canada/CHL (2018 World Junior Team)

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Love the sport and all, but hockey culture is rotten

Westhead's journalism over the past year has been top notch stuff

its been set up to shield abusers, like a lot of institutions. 

Whats at the root of it? I haven't been to a kids game in a while, but about 10 years ago the parents at a U15 game I was at were off their nut, screaming at kids, refs, other parents, etc. Sorry folks, most of your little money dreams are not going to make it. Maybe the ridiculous expectations on kids is part of this? dunno. 

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its been set up to shield abusers, like a lot of institutions. 

Whats at the root of it? I haven't been to a kids game in a while, but about 10 years ago the parents at a U15 game I was at were off their nut, screaming at kids, refs, other parents, etc. Sorry folks, most of your little money dreams are not going to make it. Maybe the ridiculous expectations on kids is part of this? dunno. 

I dunno, but I doubt it's just NHL'ers, it likely goes all the way down to at least rep hockey 

It's likely a multifaceted issue 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno, but I doubt it's just NHL'ers, it likely goes all the way down to at least rep hockey 

I think it has to, the pressure starts so young. The game I went to was for the kids of my bro in law's best friend. I'm no coach, but even I could see these kids had no chance of making it, but the parents poured thousands into these kids every year and were ridiculously intense, and hardly alone in how they acted. So would parents like this be open to hearing about abuses going on, and risk having their kids maybe passed over? or would they look right past it? what kind of messaging are the kids getting? Can totally see that spawning weird hazing and other group behaviours. 

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think it has to, the pressure starts so young. The game I went to was for the kids of my bro in law's best friend. I'm no coach, but even I could see these kids had no chance of making it, but the parents poured thousands into these kids every year and were ridiculously intense, and hardly alone in how they acted. So would parents like this be open to hearing about abuses going on, and risk having their kids maybe passed over? or would they look right past it? what kind of messaging are the kids getting? Can totally see that spawning weird hazing and other group behaviours. 

You hear stories about what some parents and families sacrifice for their children to play but unfortunately there are a lottttt of toxic hockey parents. So yeah, lot of pressure put on kids from a very young age. The higher up you get the more everything becomes about hockey too, so you're surrounded by peers who've likely grown up the same.

I reckon those who go the college or uni route turn out better, because even as jocks they're still exposed to classmates who have nothing to do with sports. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

hockey culture is rotten

It is definitely not just hockey, e.g. high school gym teachers, I could name a few but won't for obvious reasons, priests, councilors, etc.

As well as hazing mentioned herein, which supports gang behaviour and inclusion/exclusion, these hockey kids have parents that can afford an extremely and increasingly expensive development, and as such are extremely entitled, and their support adults are probably the most to blame for this.

Once they start getting selected to higher and higher opportunities, they get this support from the other entitled kids who make it that far too.

Does anyone remember this?

One year I refused to cheer for Team Canada juniors because, on the ice at stoppages, they skated into the faces of the other countries' players, and showed them the names on the backs of their sweaters, not the team, but their own entitled, rich, drafted, names.

It was disgusting imo, and it shows what a bunch of jerks and worse some of them become.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

it's not just hockey players, though obviously in Canada that's the big one.........but it's all sports where athletes are put on a pedestal and catered to for whatever reason.  I may have only gone as far as the WHL, but what I saw in my experience as a Jr player was disgusting and was a major reason why I packed it in and distanced myself fro all of it.  

The importance weput on sports is ridiculous and, ultimately, it comes back to fans who support this industry

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

it's not just hockey players, though obviously in Canada that's the big one.........but it's all sports where athletes are put on a pedestal and catered to for whatever reason.  I may have only gone as far as the WHL, but what I saw in my experience as a Jr player was disgusting and was a major reason why I packed it in and distanced myself fro all of it.  

The importance weput on sports is ridiculous and, ultimately, it comes back to fans who support this industry

I think you need to shed light on this stuff for fans, not sure how many really know how bad it can be. I don't think most fans would want kids going through hell, but then again, I could be wrong about that. 

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Absolutely correct 

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's the tough question, but pushing institutions like Hockey Canada to be accountable is a good start

I was in Canadian Tire yesterday - team Canada jersey's $100 off :unsure: 

I guess we could begin by not buying their stuff for a while.  

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I was in Canadian Tire yesterday - team Canada jersey's $100 off :unsure: 

I guess we could begin by not buying their stuff for a while.  

Needs to be more than that but money, or the lack of it, talks 

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, stawns said:

Sadly the question isn’t just what can we do, it’s also what are we willing to do.

We see on these boards regularly that talk is cheap. The list of over-privileged a’holes that many would  like to see brought to the Canucks shows that we are willing to overlook most anything if the guy has some talent, grit or size. Success trumps much, a cup trumps everything for some.

The support by some here for Montreal drafting Logan Mailloux last year is a good example. 

• Cheers 3

With the younger 'kids', there needs to be more scrutiny, supervision, and accountability everywhere, including the sanctity of 'the room', dressing rooms, video rooms, showers, etc.  As they get older and stay in motels/hotels, adult supervision of all activities should be increased, not letting them make decisions about off-ice activities themselves or allow them to be out in groups without supervision.  Also, beginning immediately, a system where each child and teen has regular one-on-one counselling appointments by professionals who can identify things they would not bring up without such a process, and the discipline developed should not be easily understood to have come from any one player's disclosures.  This sounds cumbersome and I know lower leagues have enough trouble finding coaches, referees, etc, but this crap has been going on everywhere for decades (at least) and the damages caused are unaccounted for.  Immediately stop all hazing and tribal behaviour.  Non-adults should be banned from alcohol and not be allowed to have guests in their rooms i.e. mostly young girls, but there are same-sex predators too.  

All adult violators should be immediately suspended, outed, charged, convicted, and punished; and their cases made public (to the extent no further harm is caused to the victims).

Etc.

Etc.

These creeps and group creeps need to be stopped.

Now.

The damage is too much to bear. 

• Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Sadly, it seems we might need an audit of the adults involved too. What good is adult supervision if the adult in question is an a-hole too?

Actually, I intended to convey that in my post, but it didn't come across.  The adults are the most likely offenders in the first place and they create the culture that perpetuates it.  But thank you for extending the discussion. 

I had a predatory gym teacher who was way too involved in the shower room and would call students into his closed office.  He didn't like me because I stood up to him and kicked me out of phys-ed twice (and I needed a phys-ed credit to get into university). 

I hate that little shint to this day. 

In wrestling, he matched me up (I had skipped ahead a couple grades so I was smaller than most of my classmates) against the biggest heaviest guy in the class. 

I was holding my own until he put a choke hold on me and the teacher let him call it a pin.

I was choking and sputtering "It's a choke hold" and he enjoyed ignoring it. 

When we stood back up, I dropped the big goof with one nice right and got kicked out of phys-ed again.

• Cheers 1

"allegedly passed a private polygraph exam."

With out knowing what questions were asked, it doesn't matter if they "passed" or not.

I'm getting a bit confused, though, I thought she was going to co operate with those investigations or was it just for the re-launched criminal investigation.?