The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford interview on Donnie & Dhali

Rate this topic

Googlie

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

And Aquallini agreed to the retroactive punishment, when he agreed to the new, at the time, CBA

he didn't really have a choice, he had to approve the entire CBA not pieces of it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

he didn't really have a choice, he had to approve the entire CBA not pieces of it. 

That's true but it didn't seem like they even tried to fight it at all.  Still highly frustrating to think about that whole situation.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/29/2022 at 9:23 PM, bigbadcanucks said:

Aquilini actually did with the hiring of Trevor Linden, and then subsequently parted ways with him because there was a difference in opinion of how to build the team. 

I initially liked what Benning was trying to do -- bringing in players in the 23-25 year old group (Baertschi, Clendening, Pouliot, Sbisa, Vey, Pedan, Etem, Granlund) since Gillis didn't leave him with much with players in this age group.  But who would have thought that he was such a piss-poor judge of pro talent?  None of the guys Benning brought in in this demographic amounted to anything.

Then, he showed his pure lack of pro talent knowledge with signing UFAs like Er iksson, Gagner, Vrbata, Del Zotto, Beagle, Roussel, etc.  His only UFA signing wins were Ryan Miller, and Thomas Vanek (Vanek, only because he yielded Tyler Motte).

Benning talked til he was blue in the face about character and he ended up with punks like Virtanen, Boucher, Leipsic.  And for all his bravado about being a whiz at the amateur draft table, his only wins were Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Boeser and Podkolzin.  And possibly Rathbone , Klimovich, McDonough, and Hoglander.

Listening the Benning give his pressers wasn't even worth anyone's time.  He'd say one thing and do the opposite and sounded like that buffoon alf who's as senile as they come.  At the very least, JR sounds intelligent and is articulate when answering the inane questions that the Vancouver media throw at him.  Gillis was the same when he first got here, but after a few years of the idiocy of Patterson, Sekeres, Price, MacIntyre, Gallagher, Botchford, et. al., it was evident that he had nothing but disdain for the media.  Give JR time. He'll will grow to hate the Vancouver media and lose his patience with them just like Gillis did.  Benning was just too stupid to know he was getting played by the Vancouver media. 

And yeah, his choice of coaches (Willie D and Travis Green) didn't do him any favours. 

Yeah, Linden was the PoHO to JB but only for parts of his tenure.  Anyways, JB just got worse as time went on and the re signing of Green, was the proverbial nail to his tenure, as GM.  Both (JB & Green) were bad leaders and there record confirms it.  Ultimately, the blame is on Aquaman for assembling that crew of i$&@+s.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

He grew up very close to there as well. He was in Ohio but where he was born/grew up is more of a suburb of Pittsburgh actually. Chance to play with Sid, likely Letang and 'maybe" Gino, and a chance at a few more cups, can't see why he wouldn't want to re-sign with them (which would bring us more value in the trade). Plus you have Burke there too, who we know would LOVE the way Miller plays.

If the Pens want to make a few last runs with the old band, Miller will certainly help them become contenders again. My bet is Pittsburgh is where he ends up as well. Boston will want him but I think Pittsburgh will end up giving us more.

If it was  Boston, they may want another Big Defenceman from us as well?

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

That's true but it didn't seem like they even tried to fight it at all.  Still highly frustrating to think about that whole situation.

the NHL isn't a democracy, its a small club. We don't havre the leverage of a NY or Boston. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

He could have said 'No"- and chose not to, therefore he had a choice.

All this Loungo pain was directly the fault of the owner.

He could have said ' You want a unanimous vote to accept- then ditch the re capture penalty."

He chose not to.- Bad negotiating.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

He could have said 'No"- and chose not to, therefore he had a choice.

All this Loungo pain was directly the fault of the owner.

He could have said ' You want a unanimous vote to accept- then ditch the re capture penalty."

He chose not to.- Bad negotiating.

I guess? he could have been the 1/30 that said no, and it still passes. 

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'd rather retain 1/2 on Miller for this year, but that deal has some for now, some for later pieces. 

Its not a world beater but it fills some holes. 

I forgot Poulin as well.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I guess? he could have been the 1/30 that said no, and it still passes. 

The league wanted a uniramous vote, to present solidarity between owners and Frank rolled over.

And if it was still going to pass, Frank would have been blameless, instead of wearing it.

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

The league wanted a uniramous vote, to present solidarity between owners and Frank rolled over.

And if it was still going to pass, Frank would have been blameless, instead of wearing it.

fair enough. I can understand why at the end of the day he chose to present a unified front with other owners but I can see why people may see it that way.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  That would be a great deal for us if we could dumperoo Myers in the Miller deal.

Miller + Myers for Marino + Kapanen.

Maybe they want Garland too?

Miller + Myers + Garland for Marino + Kapanen + (what else to they have we want/need?)

Nice try, Burkie. Give Alf his account back!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

fair enough. I can understand why at the end of the day he chose to present a unified front with other owners but I can see why people may see it that way.

All just a con game.

I hate stuff that is just for show.

At one union meeting I was attending, as a person on the executive, an attempt was made to have a vote to make a previous vote unanimous.

The looks I got when I explained that I would launch an appeal to both the Union's trustees, the B.C. Federation of Labour, and the L.R.B if they cancelled my vote.

We run this country, province, territories, cities, towns and regional districts on majority vote- not unanimous vote.

• Vintage 1

Just now, gurn said:

All just a con game.

I hate stuff that is just for show.

At one union meeting I was attending, as a person on the executive, an attempt was made to have a vote to make a previous vote unanimous.

The looks I got when I explained that I would launch an appeal to both the Union's trustees, the B.C. Federation of Labour, and the L.R.B if they cancelled my vote.

We run this country, province, territories, cities, towns and regional districts on majority vote- not unanimous vote.

it does happen all over. I think the NHL owner thing was to not give the NHLPA any kind of opening for future disputes. 

I can't remember the time line - was Gillis fired before or after the CBA changes? 

On 5/30/2022 at 2:45 PM, gurn said:

Only Mike and Frank know for sure.

Wasn't Laurence Gillman the cap guru who orchestrated the deals?

This issue still a sore point

It was legal within the rules and contract was accepted by the league (while they denied other attempted signings to other teams)

To use an analogy

How would you feel getting off on driving slightly over the speed limit with a warning by a cop

Only to have them say years later, oh we changed the speed limit in that area, now you were excessive speeding and we're confiscating your vehicle

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Like 3

I like it!

Ppl were nervous after Scotty Walker's comments on analytics but it looks like this leadership is taking a very balanced and wholistic view of everything. 

Just as I had hoped, analytics is another tool that confirms the eye test or what the great hockey minds are already thinking.  If the advanced stats don't support their opinion, they would take a deeper dive to understand why. 

This pretty much shows that this collective group of leadership will use every tool available to build the best team they can build. 

It doesn't mean they are jumping on the latest fad like advanced stats to make a decision but use all of these data as supplementary tools to confirm and validate their opinions. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Wasn't Laurence Gillman the cap guru who orchestrated the deals?

This issue still a sore point

It was legal within the rules and contract was accepted by the league (while they denied other attempted signings to other teams)

To use an analogy

How would you feel getting off on driving slightly over the speed limit with a warning by a cop

Only to have them say years later, oh we changed the speed limit in that area, now you were excessive speeding and were confiscating your vehicle

Plain and simple the Canucks got hosed. If a contract is signed under an existing legal framework, and is within the rules of such framework, irrespective of whether the league realizes there's a loophole, they cannot legally do what they did to the Canucks.

Acquilini could have fought it in court but it would have created more bad blood with the league so they just accepted it....but legally the NHL would have lost in court. Just another example of the canucks getting hosed. 

38 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Plain and simple the Canucks got hosed. If a contract is signed under an existing legal framework, and is within the rules of such framework, irrespective of whether the league realizes there's a loophole, they cannot legally do what they did to the Canucks.

Acquilini could have fought it in court but it would have created more bad blood with the league so they just accepted it....but legally the NHL would have lost in court. Just another example of the canucks getting hosed. 

Teams were warned well before CBA negotiations even started that there would be retroactive penalties for that type of contracts.  The CBA at the time allowed to sign them but it was known that they would be consequences for bending the definition.

They built an out with the compliance buyouts.  Buffalo and Rangers used them to avoid the recapture risk.  Vancouver not the only team with a recapture penalty - Florida too and LAK had the one for Mike Richards.  The Wild bought out Parise/Suter rather than try and trade them because of the recapture risk.    

• Cheers 1