The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green to Coach the Stars?

Rate this topic

Me_

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I wouldn't be shocked if he did well with their team. It was time to move on for us tho 100%.

I would be shocked. Worst coach we've had in decades. Brutal. Only reason he won any games was because of Demko 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

I would be shocked. Worst coach we've had in decades. Brutal. Only reason he won any games was because of Demko 

Not even close, WD was worse and arguably as a fit for the team so was Torterella. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I actually think Green was worse than WD. But ya, WD and Torts were bad fits. 

Green coached a lesser team than WD over Minnesota, then the defending Cup Champ Blues then took Vegas to 7 games. WD lost to the Flames 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Green coached a lesser team than WD over Minnesota, then the defending Cup Champ Blues then took Vegas to 7 games. WD lost to the Flames 

Meh. Green had better goaltending, and the better team imho. I believe Willie's record is still better than Greens. Willie has at least won championships as a coach in the AHL. Green has an average AHL record and missed playoffs most years. I never saw the big deal with Green to be honest and glad we have a veteran NHL coach now. Really though, both these coaches seemed overwhelmed in the big league. 

Edited by rekker
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not even close, WD was worse and arguably as a fit for the team so was Torterella. 

Actually WD’s winnng % with us was better than Green’s.  So Green, based on numbers is worse.  

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

I wouldn't be shocked if he did well with their team. It was time to move on for us tho 100%.

Ya I think given the roster (mostly vets) TG would do well there.

Honestly aside from our fanbase he seemed to be thought pretty highly of around the league.

He's the type of coach who has a demanding, complicated system that just didn't mesh with the players that   Benning supplied him, especially on defense. 

While stylistically he's not like Sutter it's a good example of a GM bringing in the right players for the style the coach wants to play.

I'm not a expert when it comes to the X and Os

but TG made it far to difficult having our D collapse while not having the forwards come  back to help with transition and getting the puck out.

We had the goaltending to play his style of conceding a lot of shots but man how many times we would see our D unable to get the puck out, getting hemmed and ending up either icing the puck or turning it over constantly.

With  Bruce the biggest change I saw was the forwards coming back to not only help but also create an option to pass to relieving the pressure and creating North direction options instead of forcing it east- west. Plus his loyalty to  baumer who was just the worst didn't help him either.

Hopefully he gets a chance with a better roster for his style and he learned from watching the same team under Bruce do a complete 180 cuz I liked him and hope he finds some success. Plus the bubble was the most fun I've had since the 2011 run. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Zhukini said:

I’d put my house on green being a HC before dumbo is a GM

I fully admit to being a fan of Benning so maybe I'm blinded but looking back on things and seeing the team   Benning built be a top 10 team that was a top 3 team 5on5 defensively, kind of points to  Benning  being a lot better than what most of our fanbase thought of him.

It's done and in the past but the only real area he had more misses than hits was his UFA signings but then even those it turns out haven't aged that poorly for the most part besides LE obviously. 

Myers was crapped on but under  Bruce was good and apparently has value, Ferland, we'll never know, Poolman, bad, Dickenson?

I think his trades and drafting plus internal contracts like Horvat, Garland, Demko, Pearson, Hughes, etc speak for themselves.

Motte, Highmore,  Lamiko, were wins as well.

I give him credit for having the balls to at least make some big trades but then again I've always been a fan of OEL Garland and Miller long before they were in Vancouver and I'm not one who gets attached to draft picks the way some do in regards to non top 10 picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

In 8 painful years Anyone on here could have drafted stars with the high picks we had and by listening to the scouts we had

BTW, Where are all the top prospects with having such high picks in each round after all those years?

This team  had assets then and got very little or nothing in return in all those years

Even if your picks or prospects don't pan out they get you players like TT (only we ran out of time and lost another asset for nothing)

If you are trading picks or prospects, in the end you have to get something in return for them or you have nothing and being at the bottom of the league standings every year is not what a team moving forward can afford to do

The word GM means Managing

Again anyone on here could go and buy good players to have on the team, but it is how you Manage to make it all come together and be workable for the here, now and future (instead of the day to day) and is why now that the new team will find it  hard to balance and sort out to keep us competitive for now and the future

They gave a rookie GM a job and got the results of one- It was odd hearing them say at the beginning of their terms regarding players that this is the NHL, the best league not a development league, (and yet here was a rookie NHL GM and Coach being developed)  and putting a unready Virtanen on the team who was not ready for the league either

I am looking forward to an experienced management, but I don't expect any overnight miracles and hoping the timing for the players hasn't passed us by to be the best

• Cheers 2

I wish him the best.  Don't be surprised to see him have some success with a fresh new roster.  While he had clearly lost the room in Vancouver, after a bit of time off to rethink his strategy and a room full of new faces, there's no reason why he couldn't become a good coach in the NHL.  The animosity towards former Canucks on this board is a bit much sometimes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

After what Willie did… TO… the Canucks?

What did he do? Do his best with an over-aged, declining team that was a dry as the Sahara in terms of scoring?

He wasn’t the sacrifices CEO of a company who had an employee who burned down the house…

The hell you tawlkin bout?

Playing Megna and Larsen was incredibly disrespectful to the organization.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dekey Pete said:

I wish him the best.  Don't be surprised to see him have some success with a fresh new roster.  While he had clearly lost the room in Vancouver, after a bit of time off to rethink his strategy and a room full of new faces, there's no reason why he couldn't become a good coach in the NHL.  The animosity towards former Canucks on this board is a bit much sometimes.

Green cost us the playoffs with his ineptness and completely amateur handing of the preseason. Also, other glaring issues during this season. Some of us, myself included, are still pissed as I watch the likes of Calgary, LA, Edmonton move into and forward in the playoffs. We can beat these teams. The way the Avs play in their zone? Heck, we maybe beat them as well. 

13 hours ago, Zhukini said:

I’d put my house on green being a HC before dumbo is a GM

This is the truth.

As bad as Green was, he's still better at coaching than his GM was at general managing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2