The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Colorado Avalanche (C1) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) | Avalanche win 2022 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2022 Stanley Cup Final  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Avalanche in 4
    • Avalanche in 5
    • Avalanche in 6
    • Avalanche in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/19/2022 at 12:00 AM

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

We are no where near....and not even watching other teams. Anyone who's old enough to have watched 2011 close enough, could see the pace, fire and cohesiveness as a unit we played with.

Our team is nothing close to even that team. That's how I always guage it. I remember how that team was never out of a game, they were always able to come back on teams, they were able to 'step on the throat' of teams when up because they competed so hard.... I see so much inconsistency with this group and that's both an effort and a roster composition issue.

Everything is better when your top 4 defence can advance the puck quickly up ice.  Our defence is nowhere near where what the Avs and Bolts have. We need.to set the bar at what they have.

All of the other stuff will take care of itself, when you’re not playing in your own zone for extended periods.

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

My drinking happened last night, nursing myself back to health today haha 

How was your scotch?

I had some auchentoshen that I received as a gift.  Pretty smooth and quite tasty. 
A couple of drams in and my tongue has been loosened. Cheers :towel:

55 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yes and no, matchups matter but the reality is St. Louis was, and is, a much better team than a lot of people give them credit for. They had what.. nine 20 goal scorers? The fact they had to meet up with the Avs in the second round at all is a bit sad. They would have trounced any of the Pacific teams that got in. 

Oh for sure, every team is always trying to get better. Colorado will too, Kadri or no Kadri. 

And I disagree, I reckon we're at least four years out. Most teams have to beat their heads against the playoff wall before even getting a sniff at a conference final, let alone a cup final. To think we're just going to waltz our way back into the playoffs and contend sooner than later is incredibly optimistic at best, and likely unrealistic. This team is a good ways off imo.

4 years!?!  Yikes, if that was the case then I think JR and Allvin would be coming in and declaring a rebuild.  

Hockey is a game of bounces and has way more luck involved then other sports.  I consider any of the top 8 teams in the league contenders, and I see the Canucks as presently constructed in the murky middle that goes from 12th best to 20th best in the league.  

We'll have to agree to disagree on our view of our team as I believe that getting a legitimate top 4 RHD that can play 22 mins/night and a couple of bigger cheap forwards would push us into the top 10.  We can get checkmarks next to all those requirements next summer IMO.  

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yes and no, matchups matter but the reality is St. Louis was, and is, a much better team than a lot of people give them credit for. They had what.. nine 20 goal scorers? The fact they had to meet up with the Avs in the second round at all is a bit sad. They would have trounced any of the Pacific teams that got in. 

Oh for sure, every team is always trying to get better. Colorado will too, Kadri or no Kadri. 

And I disagree, I reckon we're at least four years out. Most teams have to beat their heads against the playoff wall before even getting a sniff at a conference final, let alone a cup final. To think we're just going to waltz our way back into the playoffs and contend sooner than later is incredibly optimistic at best, and likely unrealistic. This team is a good ways off imo.

I think Colorado takes a slight step back next year. They will lose one of Kadri or Nichushkin for sure, and possibly Keumper too. Then again, young guys like Byram snd Newhook should only get better.

But therein lies the problem for the Canucks. Elite teams are built over long periods of time, with numerous shrewd moves to build up top end talent, quality roster depth player, and promising youth to supplement the roster in waves. Even if the Canucks have something special in Hughes, Demko, and Pettersson, the damage done by years of mismanagement will be hard to overcome. Despite being at the bottom of the standings for multiple years, we have no extra picks, a shallow prospect pool, and little cap space to work with. It will take time to unravel this mess, and it’s unlikely that JR & Co will be able to build something out of it as strong as Tampa or Colorado in just a few short years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

4 years!?!  Yikes, if that was the case then I think JR and Allvin would be coming in and declaring a rebuild.  

Hockey is a game of bounces and has way more luck involved then other sports.  I consider any of the top 8 teams in the league contenders, and I see the Canucks as presently constructed in the murky middle that goes from 12th best to 20th best in the league.  

We'll have to agree to disagree on our view of our team as I believe that getting a legitimate top 4 RHD that can play 22 mins/night and a couple of bigger cheap forwards would push us into the top 10.  We can get checkmarks next to all those requirements next summer IMO.  

Yes, four years. Rebuild? Nah, but they'd be placing a lot of emphasis on youth and getting younger, which has come up since JR's arrival. 

Even if you look at it that way, all contenders aren't created equal. We were a fringe team this year, we'll likely be in the running for a spot next year but likely still as a fringe team if you look at the rest of the Pacific. But good enough to actually go deep? Not likely sooner than later I reckon. 

Yup, we'll have to. At the minimum we're going to need two top 4RD because Myers won't be around much longer and we aren't getting one for what we were paying Hamonic. Schenn isn't a top 4D, he's a third pairing guy on a team that's any good. These team isn't going to be turned around over the course of a single offseason, and I doubt it'll happen over two. If I had my way I'd see some serious surgery done to this team and build around our young core, as I've been saying for months. 

I don't see us contending over the next two years, I think anyone who believes we will is either incredibly optimistic or out of their mind. We'll see. 

2 hours ago, DS4quality said:

I do think it's odd Colorado is getting a lot of help from the league, like they win their challenges based on the slightest interpretation of the rule book. Things that no other team has won in the past.

If a teams loses the interpretation then other team wins the interpretation. Does any team win all the time? Of course not. Interpreting the rulebook is exactly what the refs job is. It's the same with DoPS. 

Teams technically have too many players on the ice throughout the game without a call. Players always leave the bench before the player they are replacing is off the ice. It's at the refs discretion as to how far the players are from the bench, and whether or not it has an immediate effect on the play that dertimines them calling it or not calling it. And that's if they actually see it. 

The onside/offside, by the way the rule is written and enforced was onside. Even using pursuit of the puck doesn't change it considering how that part of the rule has been enforced. Pursuit is only called when the pusuing player himself is offside and continuing to pursue the puck. Otherwise, in the name of nitpicking, a player skating from his blueline towards the blueline where the delayed offside occurs is technically pursuing the puck. Has that ever been called? Of course not. Delayed offside is called by touching the puck while it is in effect, or by a player being offside and continuing pursuit.Those are the only two ways I've seen a delayed offside called for offside. Even then, in the latter linesman will yell "offside, offside, offside" to warn the player off if possible rather than calling it. Based on the way it's been enforced they got it right. A player who isn't offside himself can skate any direction they want while a delayed offside is in effect.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Ever notice that quite a few sports announcers seem to pronounce "Colowado Avawanche"  ?

Some of them sound like their favourite pastime is hunting Buggy Bunny.

48 minutes ago, Baggins said:

If a teams loses the interpretation then other team wins the interpretation. Does any team win all the time? Of course not. Interpreting the rulebook is exactly what the refs job is. It's the same with DoPS. 

Teams technically have too many players on the ice throughout the game without a call. Players always leave the bench before the player they are replacing is off the ice. It's at the refs discretion as to how far the players are from the bench, and whether or not it has an immediate effect on the play that dertimines them calling it or not calling it. And that's if they actually see it. 

The onside/offside, by the way the rule is written and enforced was onside. Even using pursuit of the puck doesn't change it considering how that part of the rule has been enforced. Pursuit is only called when the pusuing player himself is offside and continuing to pursue the puck. Otherwise, in the name of nitpicking, a player skating from his blueline towards the blueline where the delayed offside occurs is technically pursuing the puck. Has that ever been called? Of course not. Delayed offside is called by touching the puck while it is in effect, or by a player being offside and continuing pursuit.Those are the only two ways I've seen a delayed offside called for offside. Even then, in the latter linesman will yell "offside, offside, offside" to warn the player off if possible rather than calling it. Based on the way it's been enforced they got it right. A player who isn't offside himself can skate any direction they want while a delayed offside is in effect.

I dunno if I agree... I've watched hockey my entire life. Never have I watched an "onside ruling" like Makar against the Oilers. 

As for Kadri's early change, the guy is taking a pass going full speed at centre ice before McKinnon is off the ice.

Yes there are some leeways given in line change some times but never when the player that is replacing the guy going to the bench plays the puck. They call it even when it's right in front of the bench let alone streaking up the middle of the ice. 

This video is pretty conclusive that this should have been a too many men penalty. McKinnon is nowhere near 5 ft from the bench when Kadri steps on

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jaimito said:

TBL no stranger to icing 7 men at one time playoffs. 

Last year against the Islanders TB scored the game winner with 7 men on the ice, if I recall correctly. ( June 15, 2021)

Did Cooper have anything to say about that? Nope, just crickets. 

Karma’s a bitch.

• Cheers 1