The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drafting Defence

Rate this topic

iceman64

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I would have absolutely preferred him over scat cat Hunt.

Same but Boudreau felt comfortable with Hunt.  Would really had liked to had seen Juulsen get a better audition for the upcoming year but I understand cause they were chasing a spot till the very end.  Almost won the Purgatory cup but Vegas beat us to it - yay !

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Over the years, I've become more and more convinced, that, especially in the 1st round and maybe even the 2nd, always pick the BPA. If you want to stock the cupboards with defensive prospects, pick tons in the later rounds and maybe you'll find one that can stick an NHL job.

If the BPA in the 1st or 2nd round at our pick happens to be a defenseman, that's a bonus.

Yeah I should have been more clear about what I meant, BPA at D, there always seems to be one within a spot or 2 and if it's the case where your not losing by any sort of a margin then I'd go for it but I wouldn't go overboard on it if you know what I mean, oh this works, we're picking at 15 as I remember, and say that's a forward, at 16-17 is a Dman of quality we're looking for, I'd go that route. Unless of course there's a deal to be made for a prospect or other pick. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah I should have been more clear about what I meant, BPA at D, there always seems to be one within a spot or 2 and if it's the case where your not losing by any sort of a margin then I'd go for it but I wouldn't go overboard on it if you know what I mean, oh this works, we're picking at 15 as I remember, and say that's a forward, at 16-17 is a Dman of quality we're looking for, I'd go that route. Unless of course there's a deal to be made for a prospect or other pick. 

I don't totally disagree, but I would say that they would have to be very close to consider. For instance, I would not pick a d-man rated 17 on our list over a forward rated 15. Maybe 16th vs 15th. But the reality is that rankings probably aren't that cut and dry and there may be a group of three or so guys that the scouting team and Allvin are considering at 15, and one of them might be a defenseman that ends up being available. When it's like that and they're effectively tied, it's probably fine to just pick the one that fits the need.

It's an interesting idea. Was thinking about how fortunate the Avs are to have Makar, but they also have Byram. Two very elite young Dmen. The Rangers and Kings have a few really good young Dmen too.

I wouldn't mind if the Canucks loaded up on good D in the first 2-3 rounds over the next year or two, and then try to find the forward gems who will excel in the bottom 6.  

They need to find more high picks this year. (1st, 2nd)

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's an interesting idea. Was thinking about how fortunate the Avs are to have Makar, but they also have Byram. Two very elite young Dmen. The Rangers and Kings have a few really good young Dmen too.

I wouldn't mind if the Canucks loaded up on good D in the first 2-3 rounds over the next year or two, and then try to find the forward gems who will excel in the bottom 6.  

They need to find more high picks this year. (1st, 2nd)

Im on this boat.

We need a stockpile of dmen that can play top 4 regularly and in any situation.  The rathbones will not cut it if we want to contend 

• Upvote 1

I'm just happy he's 6'1, unless his name is Hughes we don't need small-ish Dmen who can't clear big forward's from the crease who would crowd Demko given half a chance, big stay at home Dmen paired with a smaller faster PMD is ok, that works BUT we need size and sandpaper and D isn't a bad place to have it because as we all know, teams will do anything to get a goalie off his game and we need pushback in a big way for a change, "some" but not enough never gets anywhere in the post season. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, mordekai said:

Those last 5 goals came from playoffs

Even better.. goals in crunch time, I didn't see that, thanks. Great point, nice to know he doesn't disappear in the playoffs but turns it on under pressure? Yes please!  

7 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Same but Boudreau felt comfortable with Hunt.  Would really had liked to had seen Juulsen get a better audition for the upcoming year but I understand cause they were chasing a spot till the very end.  Almost won the Purgatory cup but Vegas beat us to it - yay !

Yeah, Hunt needs to be taken away from Boudreau next year.  I'm not sure how in holy hell anyone can look at his defensive play and not want to vomit.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, Hunt needs to be taken away from Boudreau next year.  I'm not sure how in holy hell anyone can look at his defensive play and not want to vomit.

Is there anyone in analytics that can justify Hunts deployment vs someone else ?  Surely, someone can find a metric or two that can sell the narrative that Hunt was the best option.  Kidding aside, I agree and I just want to move on from the Aquaman & JB era.   Now it is the JR & Allvin show with Aquaman on the standby...

11 hours ago, AV. said:

Iceman64 calls for defence and Allvin delivers F. Johansson.

Iceman64 just needs to call for a Stanley Cup and we'll be shredding at the Rogers Arena in no time!

@wallstreetamigo has been calling for Rutherford for a couple of years now and had his wish delivered as well. 

11 hours ago, Googlie said:

Speaking of which, where has Juulsen gone wrong? .......

See:

A solid two-way defender, Noah Juulsen is able to force plays and always find ways to support his teammates. Juulsen is a smooth, yet not dynamic skater, and is mobile when he needs to be. Plays with a chip on his shoulder, and isn't afraid to take the hit to make the play. Sees the ice well and has the individual skills to carry out the possibilities he sees. Very poised with the puck; calm and controls the play with authority. Has good hands. Without the puck and in high-pressure situations, Juulsen tends to overthink things and can try to do a little too much; that will go away with time and maturity. All-in-all, an impactful presence on the ice that strives to be difficult to play against; given how hard he works and how smart he is with the puck, he can be a very difficult player to read with and without the puck. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

He didn't look out of place in his brief call-up, and at 6'2", 201 lbs, would seem to check the boxes, but the fan base, and Managenent, are totally silent on him.

I really liked the way Juulsen looked in his brief time with the big club.  I'll explain what happened with Juulsen's career through one simple stat: games played in a season  

2017-18: 54 games played 

2018-19: 24 games played 

2019-20: 13 games played 

2020-21: 9 games played 

2021-22: 58 games played  

I cannot overstate what a profound impact injuries have had on derailing Juulsen's development.  He had tons of promise when he first came into the league with Montreal.  Here's a scouting report from summer of 2019... 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/top-25-under-25/2019/8/19/20808442/noah-juulsen-2019-montreal-canadiens-top-25-under-25-prospect-profile-scouting-projection-stats

"Noah Juulsen’s career after being picked in the first round of the 2015 NHL Draft has had a multitude of ups and downs. Various injuries have slowed down some aspects of his development in recent years, but when fully healthy he makes it very clear why he’s the most NHL-ready of the right handed defensive prospects.

After a tough rookie year between the struggling Montreal Canadiens and basement-dwelling Laval Rocket, Juulsen was a prime candidate to establish himself on the Habs’ blue line behind Shea Weber and Jeff Petry. The former’s injury threw the door wide open for the young defender, giving him the chance to play higher up in the lineup and prove his worth.

He contributed moderately in his time with the Canadiens, a stint that lasted just 21 games before he was assigned to Laval, then sat out due to a lingering injury.

On November 19, Juulsen took two pucks to the face against the Washington Capitals. One was blocked by his visor, but the other deflected off his stick and cut him open, forcing him from the game with what was diagnosed as a facial fracture.

He played four games after that, averaging around 15 minutes per night, but looked a bit off. He was sent to the Rocket for a refresh, similar to the plan for Victor Mete , who was going through a few struggles at the same time.

Juulsen played three games, leaving the last one with an unknown injury, later attributed to the facial injury. The fracture had created an issue that was affecting his vision, and for the safety of the player, Juulsen was essentially shut down for the year; a disappointing end for him after such a hopeful beginning.

His five points in 21 games is nothing to scoff at, especially when considering he was thrust into a top-four role on defence. It should be something he can improve on even further at the NHL level this year." 

I really hope that we bring Juulsen back on a two year league minimum deal.  

Hopefully the new scouts bring us some better luck but Allvin has had a dreadful scouting history.

I think you usually go for BPA but obviously we're lacking in defencemen.

High picks on defencemen is always risky but I like picking them around the 15-40 mark, there's often some gems picked around then. Bigger than that is how we develop them though.

35 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hopefully the new scouts bring us some better luck but Allvin has had a dreadful scouting history.

High picks on defencemen is always risky but I like picking them around the 15-40 mark, there's often some gems picked around then. Bigger than that is how we develop them though.

To that I'd say, definitely need proper development and of course experience but hopefully we get a success of 2-3 in the next few years because we need ELC'S badly with the cap so uncertain in this day and age. 

52 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yup, his drafting record is atrocious and the Chief amateur scout is Teflon Delorme (if that means anything to you).   

19 hours ago, Googlie said:

Speaking of which, where has Juulsen gone wrong? .......

See:

A solid two-way defender, Noah Juulsen is able to force plays and always find ways to support his teammates. Juulsen is a smooth, yet not dynamic skater, and is mobile when he needs to be. Plays with a chip on his shoulder, and isn't afraid to take the hit to make the play. Sees the ice well and has the individual skills to carry out the possibilities he sees. Very poised with the puck; calm and controls the play with authority. Has good hands. Without the puck and in high-pressure situations, Juulsen tends to overthink things and can try to do a little too much; that will go away with time and maturity. All-in-all, an impactful presence on the ice that strives to be difficult to play against; given how hard he works and how smart he is with the puck, he can be a very difficult player to read with and without the puck. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

He didn't look out of place in his brief call-up, and at 6'2", 201 lbs, would seem to check the boxes, but the fan base, and Managenent, are totally silent on him.

I'm even more interested in Madison Bowey.

I didn't watch Abbotsford at all, and I suppose in both their cases it's a function of already having decent/good RHD at the bottom of the lineup.

But Bowey was a real NHL Dman in Washington and Detroit.

He put up good numbers in Abby as well as a team leading +16

And his bio says he's a great skater, has very adequate size and can play a shutdown role.

What's not to like?