The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

-AJ-

I still can't believe that after some amazing moves and all the highlights from Europe, that this guy would "possibly" come in and fail, there's skill and then there's slick skill and Kuz is loaded with that!! 

Smokin happy with this guy, if management trades him, omfg that would be the worst mistake ever, not only does he score, he scores a lot of his goals exactly at the right time. Awesome Kuz! Keep it up! 

Actually if he keeps it up, he may just overtake Demko for my fave player on the roster, but then again Demko keeps us in game after game which with a lesser goalie we'd almost always lose. Quite the toss up for a fave player, glad to see Demko back though! 

Edited by iceman64

36 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

True. This just the beginning. Podz is like a dog on the bone already, so you gotta like that. 

Yep, he will get going as his self confidence grows and he's more likely to show off more of his O skillset instead of the focus on his D game. 

How soon will that happen? Idk BUT if it happened next season I wouldn't be surprised at all, seems to be settling in a lot more now. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

Yep, he will get going as his self confidence grows and he's more likely to show off more of his O skillset instead of the focus on his D game. 

How soon will that happen? Idk BUT if it happened next season I wouldn't be surprised at all, seems to be settling in a lot more now. 

Exactly. We'll see how far his offensive game will develop, but he's an excellent passer, plus work ethic, forecheck and defensive accumen. He's only going to get better, and with Kuzmenko guiding him, Miller, Petey, Hughes, etc, he has a lot of mentors, including Tocchett, Gonchar, and more. 

8 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Podz is already a big boy but is filling in nicely. He is a force in the corners.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/18/2023 at 7:44 AM, jyu said:

Kuz was re-signed for 2 more seasons whereas Bo's contract would have been 8 years. It was never Kuz vs Bo. 

It was always going to be a choice between Miller and Bo because they were both looking for retirement contracts with significant dollars.

The stupidity of the management was that they didn't realize what they were doing when they re-signed Miller; they seemed to think that they could re-sign both easily. My guess is that they were projecting Bo to be on pace for 25-30 goal and 60 points and by the middle of the season, they could offer him a moderate raise of 6.5 mil and that would get the deal done.

Well, Bo had other ideas and decided to chase stats and he was out of their price range. Allvin says he made a reasonable offer, which I assume would have been 7.5 mil. But I don't even know how they were going to fit Miller's 8 mil and Horvat's 7.5 mil if they did end up re-signing Bo at that price. Where's the cap space coming from? Literally they would have been backed into a corner and would have had to give up massive sweetener to unload Myers/Boeser or give away Garland for free and buyout OEL?

The fact that Bo gave them the middle finger was a good thing as now we are forced into a retool (or rebuild) and do not have to hastily try to clear the cap space. If we don't end up upgrading the top 4D next season and go again with Myers, well that's not a big deal. Another stinker of a season but another high draft pick is good for us.

The season after, we will have Beauvillier, Myers, and Pearson off the books (I would consider re-signing Beau at a reasonable cost). Boeser has 1 year left and may be easier to trade. Garland might be gone by then too. Kuz will have one year left and we could trade him then for good return if he is still a 30 goal scorer. Younger guys like Podz, Hogs should be on the team and making contributions. Raty, Klim, Lekkerimaki, 2023 1st rounders should be knocking on the door as well. 

Well signing Kuz had a bit to do with that, probably they thought Kuz would come in a just do "ok" but then Kuz showed what he could do and management was forced to sign him for a lot more than anticipated. At least that's my guess, how much of a impact did that have? Well we may never know but if he'd have signed for less the difference could have been offered as a raise to what Bo was going to be offered and Boeser didn't help things either simply because other teams know of his wrist problems and doubtful we would get anywhere near his value but if he finishes off the season with no injuries that could change things but if that contract was off the books for prospects or picks that would have helped kept Bo in town as well but Flow's injury at the start of the year certainly came at a particularly bad time. 

Sometimes it's a lil easier said than done, especially for us.. we seem to have the worst luck going which why getting Kuz surprised me so much! 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Podz is already a big boy but is filling in nicely. He is a force in the corners.

That's for sure, he's knocked over quite a few guys and pissed them off so bad they went after him, we need more of that, a LOT more! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

That's for sure, he's knocked over quite a few guys and pissed them off so bad they went after him, we need more of that, a LOT more! 

My hope is he takes a few lessons to protect himself over the off season . A big boy like him with confidence to hold his own would do wonders for his game.

Edited by Dannydog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

My hope is he takes a few lessons to protect himself over the off season . A big boy like him with confidence to hold his own would do wonders for his game.

Yeah if it was up to me the whole team would take boxing lessons or whatever.. anything...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

This tweet deserves a much wider audience. Brilliant observation.

So, funny, yet so true as well.  Thing is, there is a good chance it would not even be a 10 goal scorer on the 3rd line, it could be a 4th line plug or a permanent member of the Abby Canucks.  But people still seem to like the magic beans more than the real deals...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, funny, yet so true as well.  Thing is, there is a good chance it would not even be a 10 goal scorer on the 3rd line, it could be a 4th line plug or a permanent member of the Abby Canucks.  But people still seem to like the magic beans more than the real deals...

Kuzmenko is the equialent of a top 5 pick IMO. Plus we have him for a further 2 years at $5mill/season. The way it's turned out it makes JR/PA look like they might know what they're doing

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1