The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

-AJ-

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

This guy gets it. Refreshing after our high hopes of players like Shinkaruk, Virtanen and Juolevi. 

I wouldn't lump Shinkaruk in with Virtanen and Juolevi. I've never seen someone with as much infectious love for the game as Shinkaruk. He had a really bad back injury which severely hampered his development and left major lingering effects on his mobility. Already being on the smaller side, that loss of mobility really hurt Shinkaruk's ability to make the final.jump to the NHL.

It does seems like Kuzmenko gets it though. Definitely feeling positive about him.

Kuz was in the coldbox at the end of the season so the question that worries me is if he can play the way Tocchet wants. He is a scoring machine together with Petey so we will see how things pan out. im hopin he stays coz he definetly got a nose for the net and is very skilled. 

3 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

Kuz was in the coldbox at the end of the season so the question that worries me is if he can play the way Tocchet wants. He is a scoring machine together with Petey so we will see how things pan out. im hopin he stays coz he definetly got a nose for the net and is very skilled. 

Seeing his training videos over the past week,

he wants to come out of the gate hard and fast..   great offseason training will give him a leg up to collect and contribute what he can at the start of a season where everyone is usually dialing in.   This is awesome.

I hope Tocchet realizes the serious manner as to which Kuz has taken his Coaching.

I also hope Tocchet,  while trying to educate Kuz on the 200 foot game,.   Doesn’t ruin the extraordinary creativity and timming Kuzmenko possesses in his “natural” game.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

On 6/16/2023 at 10:24 PM, SilentSam said:

Seeing his training videos over the past week,

he wants to come out of the gate hard and fast..   great offseason training will give him a leg up to collect and contribute what he can at the start of a season where everyone is usually dialing in.   This is awesome.

I hope Tocchet realizes the serious manner as to which Kuz has taken his Coaching.

I also hope Tocchet,  while trying to educate Kuz on the 200 foot game,.   Doesn’t ruin the extraordinary creativity and timming Kuzmenko possesses in his “natural” game.

Being a scorer, Kuz was never expected to play the defensive game in the KHL.  I think he very motivated

to become the best player he can be and is working hard to improve his game over the offseason.

Chances are, Kuz will be an interesting player to watch in the coming season.

https://www.simcoereformer.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-under-the-microscope-fitter-focused-andrei-kuzmenko-would-be-even-bigger-hit

I like this quote from the article...

"If he can apply the same level of dedication to his fitness — it’s good, but not NHL good — then he’s going to take his game to a more complete level".

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Being a scorer, Kuz was never expected to play the defensive game in the KHL.  I think he very motivated

to become the best player he can be and is working hard to improve his game over the offseason.

Chances are, Kuz will be an interesting player to watch in the coming season.

https://www.simcoereformer.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-under-the-microscope-fitter-focused-andrei-kuzmenko-would-be-even-bigger-hit

I like this quote from the article...

"If he can apply the same level of dedication to his fitness — it’s good, but not NHL good — then he’s going to take his game to a more complete level".

I think this is what separates most other countries apart from RuZ ,.  The Attention to off season training, skills, skating, diet and healthy lifestyle does not seem to be priority .

Yet,  the Russian players that are given access and do buy into it , completely excel.

Yes,  a lot is up to the player,  but when you live in a country where it’s not taken seriously, it’s hard to realize.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 10:35 AM, SilentSam said:

I think this is what separates most other countries apart from RuZ ,.  The Attention to off season training, skills, skating, diet and healthy lifestyle does not seem to be priority .

Yet,  the Russian players that are given access and do buy into it , completely excel.

Yes,  a lot is up to the player,  but when you live in a country where it’s not taken seriously, it’s hard to realize.

I wondered if Krutov was Tryamkin’s biological father.

• Cheers 1

i never played hockey so these strange excersizes doesnt make the same impression on me as squats, deadlifts and cleans were on the agenda back in my day....are these crossfit and functional training types proven for musclegrowth or very specific for hockeyplayers movement patterns? or just for kuz in general?

24 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

i never played hockey so these strange excersizes doesnt make the same impression on me as squats, deadlifts and cleans were on the agenda back in my day....are these crossfit and functional training types proven for musclegrowth or very specific for hockeyplayers movement patterns? or just for kuz in general?

We are all born with a limit or max ceiling of natural strength and fitness. Players need to train in ways (that work for them) to get to that ceiling. Kuz Missile has never really approached his ceiling. It looks like we will het to see him at that level this coming year. Doesn’t mean he will be a better goal score. Just means he will be able to play hard longer into shifts with no coasting (floating some would say). 

11 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

Hockey specific training doesn't just rely on these heavy weighted Olympic lifts - sure they are a part of their training but you can see most of these exercises focus on single leg speed, agility, and stopping power.

Kuz's game relies heavily on his quick turning and deceptive edge work so it's great to see him trying to add some explosiveness there.