The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

-AJ-

On 10/1/2022 at 10:52 AM, stawns said:

they'd have to move someone to keep Kuz, that's for sure.  Unless Boeser lights it up this year, he'll be tough to move without a sweetener

Brock wouldn't be the one they moved just to keep Kuzmenko, that's just a lateral move.

Brock would absolutely not need a sweetener,  you're nuts if you think that.

Despite all the injuries, he's led the team in scoring 2 seasons ago and if he hadn't been hurt he's probably got at least 1 40 goal season.

I know he's technically not a 30 goal 65-70 point guy but really that's just Symantecs, every season but last year a betting man would wager he would have hit those targets.

Last season was a write off and we all no the reason for that.

Tons of teams would gladly add Brock and laugh at us when he finally gets some luck for a change

On 9/30/2022 at 2:17 AM, -AJ- said:

Didn't watch the game, but from the highlights, it looked like Kuzmenko was far better this game. Looked like the 45-65 point player I'm hoping he can be.

I went back and watched a bunch of games and clips from 2014 to last season while reading comments from people in Russia and it blows my mind how overlooked he was.

Granted his game wasn't as consistent but fans in Russia had been pumping his tires since he was 19. He could have come over in 2018 and I wonder if he re-upped because he was comfortable in St Petersberg and that meant more than the big payday in the west?

The way he decided on us also lends credence to him looking at fit and lifestyle over strictly money.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he re-signed here over chasing the money, besides if the guys a star why wouldn't our GM offer him a fair deal?

As much as I (and everyone) likes this guy, you have to admit he's been fairly invisible and hasn't produced much, 2 points so far (Pearson has 4) and he gets loads of PP time. Worst of all he's getting scored on as much as Miller, he's now -5 and getting plenty of ice time.

Hate to say it but we don't quite have the superstar scorer we all saw in preseason.

• Cheers 1

I wouldn't say Kuzmenko has been invisible but he's only been partially noticeable. He's shown flashes of high skill and effort that haven't panned out some times due to no fault of his own (for example setting up Podkolzin who didn't finish for whatever reason).  This is pretty endemic right now on the team.  Someone makes a really nice play and someone else flubs it.  Nobody is down right terrible, but everyone is dropping the ball (read that losing the puck) at critical moments.  It's a hard thing to coach a team out of.  Here's hoping BB has an answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Secretly been hot lately, 5 points in his last 3 games and 16 in 19 now on the season, safe to say he's showing he can be a bit of a streaky scorer but much more consistent playing with Pettersson. At this pace he could score 30 goals this season which is huge.

His next contract will really be up in the air but at this 25-30 goal scoring, 70 point pace scoring, he'll be worth 6M easily. Hopefully he'd settle for a bridge contract a bit like Boeser's previous deals, maybe 2 x 6M? Takes him to 28 years old when he can prove what he's really worth and then he can sign a longer-term deal to take him to his early-to-mid 30s. It'd be a bit risky signing him to a 6x6M deal off the back of this one season, it's hurt us before and it could easily do it again.

57 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Secretly been hot lately, 5 points in his last 3 games and 16 in 19 now on the season, safe to say he's showing he can be a bit of a streaky scorer but much more consistent playing with Pettersson. At this pace he could score 30 goals this season which is huge.

His next contract will really be up in the air but at this 25-30 goal scoring, 70 point pace scoring, he'll be worth 6M easily. Hopefully he'd settle for a bridge contract a bit like Boeser's previous deals, maybe 2 x 6M? Takes him to 28 years old when he can prove what he's really worth and then he can sign a longer-term deal to take him to his early-to-mid 30s. It'd be a bit risky signing him to a 6x6M deal off the back of this one season, it's hurt us before and it could easily do it again.

Won't he be a UFA, given that he'll be 27 by the end of the year? I'm not sure he'll want a bridge, though that would be nicer for us.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Won't he be a UFA, given that he'll be 27 by the end of the year? I'm not sure he'll want a bridge, though that would be nicer for us.

Correct, he will be a UFA after this season. I think he would probably want a 4-5 year deal following this contract. I'm sure something was also discussed in the initial contract discussions when bringing him to Vancouver and what the organization sees for him in the future. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JCorgi37 said:

Correct, he will be a UFA after this season. I think he would probably want a 4-5 year deal following this contract. I'm sure something was also discussed in the initial contract discussions when bringing him to Vancouver and what the organization sees for him in the future. 

Didn’t Kuz say part of why he signed with us was because he wanted to have a good chance to stay in the city beyond just this year, and he felt he had that chance with us?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t Kuz say part of why he signed with us was because he wanted to have a good chance to stay in the city beyond just this year, and he felt he had that chance with us?

Exactly. That went into the decision of him signing anywhere. He knew he could only sign a one year deal for his first contract, but he didn't want to go anywhere for just one year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JCorgi37 said:

Exactly. That went into the decision of him signing anywhere. He knew he could only sign a one year deal for his first contract, but he didn't want to go anywhere for just one year. 

Would be great if we could clear all of either Boeser or Garland so there’s money to extend Kuz.  

I think the jury is still out on Kuzmenko; I would like to see more physicality if he wants to get more than $5m AAV with term and limited movement clauses.

I like that he is scoring (who couldn't with Petey as your center?) but I don't like the way he just stops and looks around when things don't go the way he expected.

Very good signing for this year though: A+ and Mickey too (I also like the Lazar and Aman signings).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

I think the jury is still out on Kuzmenko; I would like to see more physicality if he wants to get more than $5m AAV with term and limited movement clauses.

I like that he is scoring (who couldn't with Petey as your center?) but I don't like the way he just stops and looks around when things don't go the way he expected.

Very good signing for this year though: A+ and Mickey too (I also like the Lazar and Aman signings).

Well yeah, it's only 20 games into the season. However, the Canucks wouldn't have pursued him if they only wanted to have him for one season. He is still adjusting to the North American style game. I would say right now though, the positives outweigh the negatives and him/Petey/Mikayhev have developed some good chemistry. 

5 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

His cross ice passes are better than JT's most of the time. I'm not sure if he's a physical player, or has ever played that game, but, his skating is NHL calibre, and his brain is NHL calibre. I like him on PP1, more than I do Boeser right now. $5M worth, let's see how the rest of the season goes as well.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

His cross ice passes are better than JT's most of the time. I'm not sure if he's a physical player, or has ever played that game, but, his skating is NHL calibre, and his brain is NHL calibre. I like him on PP1, more than I do Boeser right now. $5M worth, let's see how the rest of the season goes as well.

I agree.  He is a bit of an enigma imo, I don't think I have seen a player quite like him.

He looks kind of soft, but makes his way to the crease and does good things when he gets there.

Those tip-in goals look easy with the great passes, but you have to be there at the right time and able to earn your space.

That is toughness too; although not so much in the typical Canadian, or American kind of way; e.g. I was a big fan of Pronger. (Except against us oc).

I think he is considerably better than Wellwood but he kind of reminds me of him; talented, smart, and quick but not fast nor physical.

And able to put the biscuit in the basket and that is a good thing right there.

• Like 1