The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Okay, Save the Oilers..PLEASE!

Rate this topic

HKSR

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

That, would probably work for both sides.

The big question is, will Klefbom ever play again. If he does, then their free space on cap drops from 7 million down to 3 million, but they do pickup one more warm body on defense.

If Smith retires, that doesn't help them either as he's on a 35+ contract, so I believe he would still count against their cap next season, so they would have to cut into that 3 million to find a league minimum backup goalie.

They badly need Keith gone, but through trade, not through retirement, for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.

On Puljujarvi, he still has potential, but I think he badly needs out of Edmonton. An offer of Poolman straight up might work if the understanding from Edmonton's side is, if they don't accept, we offer sheet him for 3 million for 2 years and give up a 2nd round pick.

It's not exactly like Bouchard is going to be cheap to resign next summer for them either.

They should be trying to get rid of Bouchard by any means necessary.  He's an absolute disaster defensively and is likely to never even be close to a legitimate NHLer.

Like the title..but to put it bluntly: Mission Impossible.

Simply figure prominent NHL'ers don't wanna live in such a place(& not trying to be petty/snarky either).

If you're a young, fit, attractive millionaire, you likely want a swanky setting to frame yer pictures.

53 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Easy solution: Sold McDavid, all problems solved.

Rabbit hits the nail here. Few yrs back I tried to trade McNugget to Ottawa. But IF they sell their top pieces for youth, probably just become a high-scale hybrid of an AHL-NHL franchise. With tax laws & a corrupt league, this has happened to many franchises(varying shades) anywho. It'll just get worse, with the shoddy biz venture called the NHL.

Amusing Q& A: How did you become bankrupt?

A- Uhh 2 ways actually. First gradually..then suddenly! (I know, it's cliche..but apply this to someone asking the league how it became sooo untrustworthy/corrupt)

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

They should be trying to get rid of Bouchard by any means necessary.  He's an absolute disaster defensively and is likely to never even be close to a legitimate NHLer.

Bouchard is still a very young defenceman.  I think he's the least of their concerns given his cap hit.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Bouchard is still a very young defenceman.  I think he's the least of their concerns given his cap hit.

I'd still be trying to get rid of him.  He's soft, slow, and stupid, which is not a good combination for a blueliner.  There's zero reason to believe he'll every learn how to play defence.

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Saw an article about Holland hoping to bring Evander Kane back, and I laughed.  Talk about a cap hell situation...

The way I'm reading it is that they have $7M in cap space, but need to sign another 5 forwards and a starting goalie.

Among those 5 forwards needed to be re-signed include Yamamoto, Puulujarvi, and McLeod. 

Also, sounds like they won't get a cap credit if Keith retires lol

They also don't have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick this year to help in a cap dump situation. 

Last but not least, Hyman is probably the guy most contenders would want... but he's signed until he's 38 years old at $5.5M AAV.

Ugly ugly ugly....

Now picture Miller signed until he's 37 for 8.5mil...if it's bad to have Hyman on your roster at 5.5mil when he's that old (and rendering him virtually untradeable and therefore chewing up dead capspace), then it will be HORRIFIC to have Miller chewing up 8% of our CAP space making him virtually untradeable...THIS is why we need to move on from him. I absolutely LOVE Miller as a player and a leader, wish he was signed for 2 more years...but I also love Porsche 911's...problem is, the finances don't seem to work for either of those passions...must, move, on.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

& Poolparty whining again? Stick a fork in these guys...

When McD has about 18 mos left in his tour-of-duty, he'll quietly tell them he won't re-sign. They'll get quite a haul for the guy, especially if they retained some bux on his last season.

Poolparty is probably sick of the gutless flopper he has for a captain throwing tantrums and complaining about getting him as a linemate.  I can't blame him for not wanting to play on a team that is classless enough to give a scumbag like McDiver the C.

2 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Not sure what rock you have all been hiding under but haven't you heard - here in Alberta they believe the Coilers are now Stanley Cup Contenders.....

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

2022Golf500x500.jpg

Maybe next year.

Edited by King Heffy

On 6/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, HKSR said:

Saw an article about Holland hoping to bring Evander Kane back, and I laughed.  Talk about a cap hell situation...

The way I'm reading it is that they have $7M in cap space, but need to sign another 5 forwards and a starting goalie.

Among those 5 forwards needed to be re-signed include Yamamoto, Puulujarvi, and McLeod. 

They also don't have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick this year to help in a cap dump situation. 

Last but not least, Hyman is probably the guy most contenders would want... but he's signed until he's 38 years old at $5.5M AAV.

Ugly ugly ugly....

Great news if you're a Canucks fan.

Something you missed was addressing goaltending. 

Edmonton has a lot of problems starting with ownership and management. lack of long term planning yet again. 

I think they have full blown Jim Benning disease. 

They threw everything in the hat this past season and were exposed as a long way to go team.

I truly feel Vancouver is in better shape moving forward.

Edmonton needs a similar overhaul. You can't afford to waste two of the best players in the world on your team.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:29 AM, HKSR said:

As long as they have McJesus, they'll never be bad enough to land 1st OA... although stranger things have happened I guess.

I think you are buying into too much hype over McDavid. Everyone in the NHL top 20 player club has similar skill sets, they are all elite. Just some people prefer a certain player play style over another that doesn't necessarily means one player is better or best. This is a parity league all players who are stars on their team are good.

6 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

I think you are buying into too much hype over McDavid. Everyone in the NHL top 20 player club has similar skill sets, they are all elite. Just some people prefer a certain player play style over another that doesn't necessarily means one player is better or best. This is a parity league all players who are stars on their team are good.

Problem is Batman (McDavid or Draisaitl) has his Robin.  They have TWO of them not just one.

Fortunately for us, we've got a trump card (Demko).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

On 6/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, HKSR said:

Ugly ugly ugly....

I enjoy watching this team flounder. They made the playoffs and still floundered when they ran into a real good team. 

I love it!

On 7/6/2022 at 3:32 PM, aqua59 said:

Great news if you're a Canucks fan.

Something you missed was addressing goaltending. 

Edmonton has a lot of problems starting with ownership and management. lack of long term planning yet again. 

I think they have full blown Jim Benning disease. 

They threw everything in the hat this past season and were exposed as a long way to go team.

I truly feel Vancouver is in better shape moving forward.

Edmonton needs a similar overhaul. You can't afford to waste two of the best players in the world on your team.

I have no sympathy for this team and as a Canuck fan, I think they are doing well.  I now understand why Detroit moved on, from Holland for there rebuild.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

So Kane and Campbell for a combined $10M+ AAV...

Still haven't signed McLeod, Yamamoto, Poolparty...

Around $5M cap space remaining.  5 forwards needed, and 1 defenceman to dress 13F, 7D, 2G.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:36 AM, HKSR said:

So Kane and Campbell for a combined $10M+ AAV...

Still haven't signed McLeod, Yamamoto, Poolparty...

Around $5M cap space remaining.  5 forwards needed, and 1 defenceman to dress 13F, 7D, 2G.

Edmonton's problem isn't just goaltending - its the fact they are still a 2 line team. They addressed the 1st issue (maybe) and did nothing to address the 2nd one