The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Brad Hunt, Nic Petan to test free agency

Hunt was a pretty solid offensive 7th d-man, but wasn't particularly great defensively. By all accords, loved in the locker room though.

Losing Petan will hurt Abby, but we've had a few other signings that will probably help fill the gap.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I was impressed with Petan’s showing in the preseason, he did less than nothing at the NHL level after that. Hunt I ended up liking his game here overall in the second half of the season. Only knock on Hunt is his lack of size. 

Hunt will be 34 in August.  I think that’s another knock on him.  He is a skilled guy though, so I can see him playing a couple years in Europe.  

• Cheers 1

Hunt was surprisingly good for us for the level of player he is. Kinda a shame to see a local boy move on, but he wasn't going to get the ice time in Vancouver. I would have liked to see him stick around for depth, but it is what it is.

Petan was useless at the NHL level. He tried hard, but his size and lack of finish was apparent. When he was on the ice, I found myself constantly frustrated by his play. I'd rather have Lockwood in there; neither score, but at least Lockwood can contribute in other ways.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Because he did nothing to earn a spot.  He was brutal in camp and his history indicated that he didn't belong in the NHL. The only reason he didn't start in the AHL where he belonged was the incompetent baboon we started the season with who was too stupid to set the lineup.

The guy has played NHL minutes ever year since 13. He was signed as a 7 or 8 D, you're right. he was signed to play in the AHL, yet there he was once again playing NHL minutes.

I think your completely off base on this one, and the fact the guy gets NHL minutes year and year shows professionals agree.

It's fine to have opinions. But being this headstrong against someone when the take is iffy in the first place, paired with the fact that he is such a good person is what really gets me. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

25 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Isn’t -6 on Detroit pretty good?

Don’t think we should bring Stetcher back. Move forward, not back. 
‘Didn’t really care for Hunts game and Petan couldn’t translate offence at NHL level. 

Meh. I think the more alarming part is he couldn’t crack a team even worse than ours yet people are still acting like he’s the saviour of our defense. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Pears said:

Stecher was a -6 on Detroit and could barely crack that team so I wonder what that makes him in Heff’s eyes:rolleyes:

I believe that would be 'a bum and a piece of trash who could be replaced by a beer league player'.  But

hey...6 gms have signed Hunt in the past 9 years, but Heff knows better than any of those 'bums'.B)

Edited by higgyfan
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Poolman > Hunt

Pretty sure we’re losing some loose change on the team to gather an offer for Zadorov.

Hunt has been valuable to us , a pro who can fill the holes or hold his lines together.

I dearly appreciate his time and play here…

but it’s time to let the prospects battle in and out of the line up,.   And we still need that extra vigorous great skating D man to let them all play the same  6’7” together as a D core.

Rathbone gets that promise with the one way contract..  

but I do beleive after a solid Summer,  and hopefully the Canucks have their new trainers ready,  Juulsen Breisbois and a really great looking Viktor Peersson start to create some waves .

Id love to see us land Zadorov,.  and maybe we get a late Christmas present in March ;) 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/COdwFGXFQHr/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Pretty sure we’re losing some loose change on the team to gather an offer for Zadorov.

Hunt has been valuable to us , a pro who can fill the holes or hold his lines together.

I dearly appreciate his time and play here…

but it’s time to let the prospects battle in and out of the line up,.   And we still need that extra vigorous great scatting D man to let them all play the same  6’7” together as a D core.

Rathbone gets that promise with the one way contract..  

but I do beleive after a solid Summer,  and hopefully the Canucks have their new trainers ready,  Juulsen Breisbois and a really great looking Viktor Peersson start to create some waves .

Id love to see us land Zadorov,.  and maybe we get a late Christmas present in March ;) 

“vigorous great scatting D man”

Maybe this guy?

image.jpeg.77a074cc4068b3998cff9d08f0285feb.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Yes,  that was an oooopsy ! ;) 

It’s too bad we still didn’t have Jarko Ruutu. If you ever heard him speak, let alone understand him, it was as close to scat in both forms when he opened his mouth. Loved that dude. 

him making Phaneuf look like a straight up goof was still one of my best Nux memories.

image.gif.728bdec27ad818be87ada61ea0c7443e.gif

5 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Get those guys back now !!

It’s THAT culture that needs to come back.. 

to me…. Miller breathes it,  he’s a war horse any team will have….    So why give him away for anything.