The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

he's barely 18, can we resist putting the heavy pressure on until say 19? 

No, as a professional hockey player he will be expected to perform under pressure. That pressure will multiply by 10 when he decides to come to North America. Just needs to go out there and play hockey. Allsvenskan is a league he shouldnt be over his head in.     

• There it is 1

18 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The kid is healthy, cant be making excuses for our prospects. He just needs to start performing better and dig deep. 

You don’t just hit the ground running after recovering from mono healthy or not.

I suggest you take a step back and see how he’s performed after 20 games. If he’s still struggling then we can worry. Calling him out after two games is all kinds of :picard:

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You don’t just hit the ground running after recovering from mono healthy or not.

I suggest you take a step back and see how he’s performed after 20 games. If he’s still struggling then we can worry. Calling him out after two games is all kinds of :picard:

Again he is playing professional hockey, and needs to be ready to play. Teams dont have the luxury of waiting 20 games, a poor start to the season can sink a team. Their goal is to make it back to the SHL I would assume. He had prospects camp and the WJC, if fully healthy there shouldn't be too much in the way of rust.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2022 at 2:21 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Cam is such a hot take, click bait guy.

Why no concern for the players taken with 2 of the 4 picks immediately after JL?

Östlund (16th overall) and Öhgren (19th) in the same draft, both are almost 6 months older (a big deal in development at that age), they are all teammates and both are also pointless and -1 and getting more ice time.

Should Buffalo and Minnesota fans be equally concerned about their respective prospects or no?

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Cam is such a hot take, click bait guy.

Why no concern for the players taken with 2 of the 4 picks immediately after JL?

Östlund (16th overall) and Öhgren (19th) in the same draft, both are almost 6 months older (a big deal in development at that age), they are all teammates and both are also pointless and -1 and getting more ice time.

Should Buffalo and Minnesota fans be equally concerned about their respective prospects or no?

Cam is a big Judd Brackett fanboy, so no he won't say that :) 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Cam is a big Judd Brackett fanboy, so no he won't say that :) 

Yeah well I like both Cam Robinson and Brackett, both  do IMO a good job. But my read on this past draft and what makes it interesting is will group think turn out to be good or will it be a case of too many cooks spoil the broth. I tend to think that committees can go wrong. " the camel is a horse invented by a committee"

9 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Again he is playing professional hockey, and needs to be ready to play. Teams dont have the luxury of waiting 20 games, a poor start to the season can sink a team. Their goal is to make it back to the SHL I would assume. He had prospects camp and the WJC, if fully healthy there shouldn't be too much in the way of rust.  

I more or less agree with you. Just wanna comment though, Allsvenskan is a pretty good league. In the vicinity of DEL and VHL. But you're right, not a league he should be in over his head in. We can make excuses all day - still adjusting to men's professional hockey (had I think 26 SHL games last year) moreso than anything to do with mono, he's also still pretty light for pro hockey at 172 (recall Lucas Raymond not particularly lighting it up in SHL at 17 or even 18), and he's playing down the lineup (3rd) and with another 18 year old on his line. Etc.

The fact of the matter is, Djurgardens fell last year. Lost some pretty good players in Cederqvist, Sorensen, Rhakshani, Eklund. Added a couple solid vets in Stefan Elliott and Marcus Kruger but it looks to me like a worse team than it was last year. If they want to have a legit chance to get promoted back up, all of these kids need to be a part of it (Lindbom, Odelius, Engstrom, Ostlund, Lekkerimaki, Ohgren), and ideally at least a couple are gonna have to step up in a big way. But right now they have to earn it. May just be Allsvenskan but these older dudes are making their livings playing the game.

I'm hoping to watch the game tomorrow morning, so will have a better idea what I'm looking at then.

12 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I more or less agree with you. Just wanna comment though, Allsvenskan is a pretty good league. In the vicinity of DEL and VHL. But you're right, not a league he should be in over his head in. We can make excuses all day - still adjusting to men's professional hockey (had I think 26 SHL games last year) moreso than anything to do with mono, he's also still pretty light for pro hockey at 172 (recall Lucas Raymond not particularly lighting it up in SHL at 17 or even 18), and he's playing down the lineup (3rd) and with another 18 year old on his line. Etc.

The fact of the matter is, Djurgardens fell last year. Lost some pretty good players in Cederqvist, Sorensen, Rhakshani, Eklund. Added a couple solid vets in Stefan Elliott and Marcus Kruger but it looks to me like a worse team than it was last year. If they want to have a legit chance to get promoted back up, all of these kids need to be a part of it (Lindbom, Odelius, Engstrom, Ostlund, Lekkerimaki, Ohgren), and ideally at least a couple are gonna have to step up in a big way. But right now they have to earn it. May just be Allsvenskan but these older dudes are making their livings playing the game.

I'm hoping to watch the game tomorrow morning, so will have a better idea what I'm looking at then.

The not producing I can live with, his shot and offensive ability are there and the points will follow. The getting scored on three time during his 11 minutes of ice time, coaches will not look at that favorably. Hopefully he can carve out a spot in the top 6 rather quickly and continue to develop nicely. Confidence is very important for young guys like Lekker, so hopefully he strings some good games in a row here.   

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sounds like he's going through some struggles. That's okay, adversity builds better people/players if he can get through it.