The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Avalanche re-sign Valeri Nichushkin

1 hour ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

It didn't seem so long ago that Nichushkin was one of the favourite non-Canuck whipping boy here at CDC. All because there were posters here who wanted him drafted over Bo. Glad he turned his career around.

I'm not lol

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This could really come back to hurt the Avs. He was a solid 3rd line guy until this year, when he became a top 6 level guy. If he's back to scoring 40 points a year, that's a pretty penny for that production. He does provide defensive play, but I'm not sure it's enough to still justify the price.

I don't think it will hurt them. They get most out of his prime years in the 8yr contract and it's only 6m avv and cap will keep going up and get better as it goes on. 

Like you said he's a 40pt guy in the bottom 6, but a very good defensive forward. Not many teams score when he's on the ice. Clearly the Avs plan on using him in the top 6, as he showed he can deliver pts on top of his defensive responsibility. He was on pace for 69pts this season, and also turned it up during playoffs. 

If he signed this contract with another team, I would worry because I'd feel much less confident if he can provide at least 50+ pts on a new team, new system, new teammates etc. However he's been one of the key players for the Avs. 

A lot for a guy who had 1 good year, but he had a monster playoffs and was basically a big strong hitting top 6 scorer which is what every team wants. This could bite the Avs in the butt if he dips after this year though, but he may even get better and better.

20 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Woa... That's a long time for someone who really has only had one good year. Wonder if it's a low AAV which is why they felt comfortable going for such a long term.

May be you didn't watch the finals? Nischushkin was one of the best players. The guy can check and score playing on the 1st line. Freaking Sakic knows what he is doing. 

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

May be you didn't watch the finals? Nischushkin was one of the best players. The guy can check and score playing on the 1st line. Freaking Sakic knows what he is doing. 

I did, outside of Makar he was arguably their best player. I also watched Cheechoo score nearly 60 in 2005, what's your point? He has only had one good year, that's a long term for someone who has only one year of play at that level under his belt.

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

It is crazy you can be a journeyman for most of your career, join the by far best team, Enjoy career years like everyone else there and cash in. This won't age well as the years go on. He was a beast though. Please podz become that type haha

• Upvote 1