The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Wild trade Cam Talbot to Senators for Filip Gustavsson

Had to figure something would have been brewing beneath the surface after these comments flew between Guerin and Talbot's agent last week:

Good move by the Sens to clear Murray , and run the tandem of Forsberg and Talbot into the season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Tkachuk - Norris - Debrincat 

Formenton - Stutzle - Giroux (maybe?)

Brown - Pinto - Batherson 

Kelly - Gambrell - Joseph 

Chabot - Hamonic 

Brannstrom - Zub 

Sanderson - Zaitsev 

Talbot 

Forsberg 

We haven't even hit free agency yet, but damn Ottawa's putting in work. 

90% giroux signs with Ottawa, so ya

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Probably because he's no longer restricted in his actions by having to clear things with Melnyk first.

Yeah so true. that’s exactly what I wanted to say but deleted it out of respect for Melnyk’s passing (RIP) 

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

an average goalie still having a job because the league is lacking starting goalies... 

I remember when we ran through a bunch of top goalies (e.g. Potvin, etc).

At the time, there were only a few number ones in the world.

We landed Luongo.

I used to be so happy.

We had the best goalie in the world for a while.

Then he diva-ed out of control.

But for a while; we had the best goalie in the world.  And it was good.

Demko

Ian Clark and His Kids

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Harvey Specter said:

Had to figure something would have been brewing beneath the surface after these comments flew between Guerin and Talbot's agent last week:

Good move by the Sens to clear Murray , and run the tandem of Forsberg and Talbot into the season. 

All true, so why didn’t Dubas trade for Talbot.  Better goalie than Murray and a lot less cap hit and only a one year commitment.  Ottawa took Dubas behind the wood shed.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Harvey Specter said:

Post-trade comment:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

an average goalie still having a job because the league is lacking starting goalies... 

if he is an average NHL goalie than why would you be surprised he still has a spot in the league?  Seems he would be right around the middle of quality of NHL goalies. 

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's not really disrespectful to point out the obvious, though.  :ph34r:

Of course not, and wasn’t implying you were being that way at all either. I think this season for OTT will be a benchmark opportunity to fairly critique what Melnyk’s legacy is. I just didn’t want to comment on that specifically too early, because not enough time has passed yet to really gauge it all, imho.

its like Travis Green here in a way.

Bruce turned this club around, and in part so did Travis by his exit (if that makes sense)? The boys played incredible over the last half, but at times still showed the poor traits that in conjunction with coaching caused the previous complacency.

I still think Green was a poor fit, but am also open to seeing how this team performs this season before posting the majority of the blame at Green’s feet for the on ice product. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

No worries about that.  Half the time I'm posting tongue-in-cheek anyways.  :ph34r:

Agreed, though I think what may ultimately prove to be his undoing is his inability (like AV) to adjust to different conditions.  Sure, there may be a "right way to play", but humans are creative beings, and stifling creativity in the name of "playing the right way" is in fact playing the wrong way where ultimately the goal is to win (vs. about being stubbornly dogmatic about how to do things).

100%

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All true, so why didn’t Dubas trade for Talbot.  Better goalie than Murray and a lot less cap hit and only a one year commitment.  Ottawa took Dubas behind the wood shed.  

Spot on my friend. I think what it comes down is nobody likes dubas or the Leafs. Looks at how he has to pay a 1st for cap dumps yearly. The 13th pick to the canes for Marleau was pathetic. Thats Seth Jarvis and he's no joke. 

I hate how the media pats them on the back left right and center for " Getting out of said contract " yet act like the astronomical price they paid is a non issue. Just to turn around and put themselves back in the same situation..

They are in trouble this year with Murray lol. Zero toughness and a lesser team from last year. Enjoy the ride because this will be dubas last one imo

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Tkachuk - Norris - Debrincat 

Formenton - Stutzle - Giroux (maybe?)

Brown - Pinto - Batherson 

Kelly - Gambrell - Joseph 

Chabot - Hamonic 

Brannstrom - Zub 

Sanderson - Zaitsev 

Talbot 

Forsberg 

We haven't even hit free agency yet, but damn Ottawa's putting in work. 

They're looking really solid.  Underrated in my opinion.  I could see them making the playoffs next year with the additions so far.

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Spot on my friend. I think what it comes down is nobody likes dubas or the Leafs. Looks at how he has to pay a 1st for cap dumps yearly. The 13th pick to the canes for Marleau was pathetic. Thats Seth Jarvis and he's no joke. 

I hate how the media pats them on the back left right and center for " Getting out of said contract " yet act like the astronomical price they paid is a non issue. Just to turn around and put themselves back in the same situation..

They are in trouble this year with Murray lol. Zero toughness and a lesser team from last year. Enjoy the ride because this will be dubas last one imo

And the LOSER LEAFS can say bye bye to Matthews when he walks in two years as a UFA.  Dubas should have went for Talbot.  Less money and less term.  Plus he’s the much better goalie over Murray.  Dorion wins this goalie carousel. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Alflives said:

And the LOSER LEAFS can say bye bye to Matthews when he walks in two years as a UFA.  Dubas should have went for Talbot.  Less money and less term.  Plus he’s the much better goalie over Murray.  Dorion wins this goalie carousel. 

Think about AZ's top line when they want to give the middle finger to the coilers duo...

Bedard-matthews-cooley

Might not be a legit line with a bunch of centers but that combo has real potential reaaal soon. Anyone but Chicago please win next years lotto

The Sens have a bright future. All of their core players are young, and now they're in a position to support them with high profile players acquired via trade and free agency. 

As far as the Canadian teams go, assuming we more or less stand pat, they're gonna pass us by this season.

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

They're looking really solid.  Underrated in my opinion.  I could see them making the playoffs next year with the additions so far.

This year that would've taken an almost 30pt improvement to make last w/c spot, I see them improving,  but that much in one off-season?????