The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

This was my target since early last season, so happy they got him.  Not sure if he can up his offensive game or not, but I think he can be a very versatile, useful player on any line.  A Russian honey badger with more skill and hockey iq

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

This was my target since early last season, so happy they got him.  Not sure if he can up his offensive game or not, but I think he can be a very versatile, useful player on any line.  A Russian honey badger with more skill and hockey iq

Exactly the type of player Toronto needed so of course they let him go. :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Hope this is how things work out.

To me, this is the first big test of the new management group. With the beefed up pro scouting unit, new AGMs, and emphasis on consensus decision-making not to mention Allvin and JR at the top, I am sure a lot of due diligence went into this move.

Mikheyev is a good player but this is a high price tag, especially for a team as cap-constrained as the Canucks.

The Canucks do have just enough cap room for today's moves but they will be into LTIR and have basically zero cap room left unless they move someone out. 

Yea, I assume once FA settles, at least one, maybe two of: Miller, Garland, Pearson, Hoglander or Dickinson get moved. Depending on the trade it could bring in assets. A trade like

Miller, Garland for Marino, Zucker, Poulin, a 1st 2023 and a 2nd 2024, maybe Hallander as a throw-in, the Canucks would look like an upgraded team from last year while also filling in the youth cupboard a little bit.

Kuzie - Petey - Mikheyev

Zucker - Horvat - Boeser

Hoglander - Dickie/Trade - Podkolzin

Pearson - Lazar - Lockwood

Hallander

Hughes - Marino

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Dermott

Schenn, Burroughs

Demko

Martin

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The difference is Jannik Hansen's career earnings are less than the value of this 4 year contract.

Look Mason Marchment just got 4.5 x4 years for a "breakout year" that saw him score 18 goals! If you think we overpaid you haven't been paying attention to what middle 6 forwards with upside potential are commanding theses days

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I would have liked 1yr/$1M less, but that's free agency for you. 2 years to show he actually can continue to produce would be even better, but we'll see if his finishing ability follows through. We know he can skate like the wind.

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

?? We don't need more 2nd/3rd liners.. Are we "going for it" again this season... ? 31 points on the freaking Leafs is not impressive. 

Someone (Garland or Pearson) is obviously getting traded to make room for him. Management must see this as an upgrade (potentially?) Time will tell

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, coryberg said:

They just said Lazar has really good speed as well :picard:

Lazar was drafted high (13OA) because he has very good skills.  He came into the league as a goal scorer.  He had to accept he was going to not play that role if he was to have a career.  Much like Malholtra (8OA) Lazar has not only accepted his role but has learned to be very good at it.  He’s a fabulous signing.  Mikheyev is a steal.  He is big, fast, and tenacious. Two great signings by a good management group.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

25 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

played with two mediocre players in Kampf and Engvall, and was the play driver on his own line

He mainly played with those guys yes, but about a quarter of his regular shifts were with either Tavares/Marner, Tavares/Kerfoot, or Tavares/Nylander.  

All I'm saying is let's be realistic.   Just like we need to be realistic wt Kuz.

Just now, Fanuck said:

He mainly played with those guys yes, but about a quarter of his regular shifts were with either Tavares/Marner, Tavares/Kerfoot, or Tavares/Nylander.  

All I'm saying is let's be realistic.   Just like we need to be realistic wt Kuz.

DeBrincat and Mikheyev will be neck in neck in goals next year; one will have a QO of 9 million, one will be locked up for 4.75 and killing penalties. LET'S GOOOOOOO

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

What people aren't realizing is that Russian players excel proportionally higher when surrounded by other Russians. Based on evidence and historical fact when Russians players are paired up to play on the same line results are amplified still.

This signing isn't just for his skill or speed, it is a direct and intentional buy into the fact that as a whole the Russian unit in Canucks will shine and through a collective movement the entire package will come through across all the Russians. That is a truly informed take that I wish more posters on here have.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Great acquisition. Love the player and what he brings.

Contract seems maybe a tad high (I think he models at around $4.1M value FWIW), but I’m sure the market required stepping up to this kind of AAV to get a deal done. I’d expect there were many other teams interested/competing on Mikheyev, and with at least a few offers in the same neighbourhood on salary and term.

This will be a test of the new management and pro scouting. Results TBD. Certainly Mikheyev’s last season (assuming it’s representative long term) more than justifies this level of contract. If he continues at that rate, or improves on it, and maintains his underlying numbers, this contract will prove to be a significant bargain. If he drops back to something closer to what you see in his three-year weighted average, then he might underperform on value. I’m more inclined to believe he’s on the upswing and last season was just a taste of what he can provide to this team over the next four seasons. But it’s a gamble. An informed gamble, of course, and he’s a very good player to bet on. Hopefully this acquisition and contract will look very good on our managers and pro scouts in the coming years. 

Somehow the long version is better than my short version. Always look for your posts though Sid.

28 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

he was top-30 in goals per 60 mins played

played with two mediocre players in Kampf and Engvall, and was the play driver on his own line

pundits are haters, Mikheyev gonna hit 35 goals/60-65 points this year playing with Petey

Except, if he was so good the Leafs would have moved him up. Or he would have gone on a scoring steak when Marner was injured. Both never happened lol. 

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Except, if he was so good the Leafs would have moved him up. Or he would have gone on a scoring steak when Marner was injured. Both never happened lol. 

Yea, like a coach has never underplayed a player for suspect interpersonal reasons before, and then they breakout elsewhere :huh:

2 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

DeBrincat and Mikheyev will be neck in neck in goals next year; one will have a QO of 9 million, one will be locked up for 4.75 and killing penalties. LET'S GOOOOOOO

Love the optimism Beer Ok GIF by Busch

Let's gooooo!  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1