The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets sign Johnny Gaudreau

I'm still laughing at this head shaker.  At Calgary for just being such a loser city that no one wants to stay there.

And also at JG, (who has a face you just want to punch), giving up about 12 million dollars, not because he's going to a contender and will take less because of who is already on the team, and their chances for a Cup. He's going to a rebuilding team. And another team that no one wants to play for.  I don't buy that Johnny Hokey's presence will be enough to flip that perception for top NHL players. He got what he wanted I guess, out of the pressures of a Canadian market, where he can disappear between games, and can live in his home country.  That was his main reason, not money or a Cup. He's neither loyal or very smart.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I'm still laughing at this head shaker.  At Calgary for just being such a loser city that no one wants to stay there.

And also at JG, (who has a face you just want to punch), giving up about 12 million dollars, not because he's going to a contender and will take less because of who is already on the team, and their chances for a Cup. He's going to a rebuilding team. And another team that no one wants to play for.  I don't buy that Johnny Hokey's presence will be enough to flip that perception for top NHL players. He got what he wanted I guess, out of the pressures of a Canadian market, where he can disappear between games, and can live in his home country.  That was his main reason, not money or a Cup. He's neither loyal or very smart.

It was pretty clear that winning isn't his main motivator based on his refusal to even try in the playoffs.  He played scared and was constantly floating out there.  He simply wasn't man enough to take the pressure and somewhere like Columbus where the media won't care how gutless he is will be a perfect fit.  It's a smart move considering his loyalty is to himself.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I love the hate on here. If some Canadian guy left an American team to come to the Canucks and left money on the table in the process while citing a desire to play closer to home or in his home country he would be praised endlessly. 

But Johnny Gaudreau does it and he's stupid, gutless, hates Canada lol. 

Edited by TmanVan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

I love the hate on here. If some Canadian guy left an American team to come to the Canucks and left money on the table in the process while citing a desire to play closer to home or in his home country he would be praised endlessly. 

To give the devil their due, it's perfectly understandable why Flames fans are pissed. Gaudreau blew smoke up their ass the entire time about staying despite knowing full well he wasn't going to. He finally alerts them at the 11th hour, handcuffing their ability to plan for the future, and then ends up taking a paycut to sign nearly 800km away from "home" anyway.

I'm all for it as watching Flames fans suffer is almost as good as watching hockey, but their ire is pretty justified.

Edited by McBackup

5 minutes ago, McBackup said:

To give the devil their due, it's perfectly understandable why Flames fans are pissed. Gaudreau blew smoke up their ass the entire time about staying despite knowing full well he wasn't going to. He finally alerts them at the 11th hour, handcuffing their ability to plan for the future, and then ends up taking a paycut to sign nearly 800km away from "home" anyway.

I'm all for it as watching Flames fans suffer is almost as good as watching hockey, but their ire is pretty justified.

Calgary is spinning down the toilet bowl known as Alberta.

They better merge with Edmonton or they'll both be moved to the states.

22 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

I don't blame him and he's not gutless for moving on.  He's gutless for his laziness in the playoffs and refusing to play like a real man.  I didn't respect that midget before the signing and nothing had changed.   There's no reason for any of us to pretend he's anything more than a selfish coward.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

The funniest part about the Calgary meltdown is how much shade they're throwing at the poor city of Columbus. Granted, I've never been to Columbus, but they're acting like Gaudreau chose to go to Mordor. It's not like Calgary is some preeminent destination city. Glass houses and all that.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

How did you get "hate" from the posts here?  Why would anyone here be angry with him?  Mostly its laughing.

And sure, maybe you are right, like the reason Hamhuis was praised for chosing Vancouver over reportedly greater offers. Its because we are Canadians. And BCers. Its kinda predictable. I'm sure there are a few Columbus fans that are proud that one of the reasons JG chose their team was because of "USA USA USA!!!" Its natural.  Whats your point?

One puzzling thing is why didn't he then chose the Devils, Flyers, or Islanders, who are closer to his actual home area if he wasn't concerned with topping up the money? Just a kind of bizarre decision.  But hey, maybe he'll flourish there and help them make the playoffs next season. 

13 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

They just upgraded the Westerner Park Centrium arena in Red Deer!  Half ways inbetween, perfect.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If the Flames re-sign Tkachuk and sign Kadri, I'd say they're better off than last year.  Not all hope is lost for the Flames just yet.

You're right. I was hoping he'd sign in Cowtown.  An arrogant whiny little man/boy who would be playing for a team he wished he wasn't, because of the money. It would start to be reflected on the ice. And the Flames would be committed to 10 mill off the cap for the next eight years.

Kadri signing would convince Tkachuk to stick around

21 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Your saying he took the hard road but he did not 

So sticking with the Flames (contenders) where he is comfortable, played his whole career, the organization built around him and was first in the division is "harder" than going to the CBJ to try to win a Cup?

I'm not sure I understand your point. 

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

I don’t get it either. 

More than a head scratcher. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

If the Flames re-sign Tkachuk and sign Kadri, I'd say they're better off than last year.  Not all hope is lost for the Flames just yet.

I don’t think or assume that Tketchup would want to re-sign. 

I think that there will be an exodus of talent, like rats on a sinking ship. 

Johnny was just the first domino to fall. 

42 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

So sticking with the Flames (contenders) where he is comfortable, played his whole career, the organization built around him and was first in the division is "harder" than going to the CBJ to try to win a Cup?

I'm not sure I understand your point. 

He shoulda just told the truth and said he was leaving instead jerking everyone around but I guess that could be hard work 

36 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don’t think or assume that Tketchup would want to re-sign. 

I think that there will be an exodus of talent, like rats on a sinking ship. 

Johnny was just the first domino to fall. 

Exactly. I bet Johnny and Tkachuk talked. MT probably said he's bolting once he can and that helped Johnny along with his decision. Just guessing. 

Edited by rekker

4 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

He shoulda just told the truth and said he was leaving instead jerking everyone around but I guess that could be hard work 

Or we can not assume the worst, and just believe that he really did decide not to resign with the Flames at the last minute. It was a big decision and I'm sure it weighed heavily on him. Millions of dollars on the line, also, it was irresponsible of the Flames for not having a backup plan on case he didn't resign. The player doesn't owe the GMs (bosses) anything. 

• Like 2