The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets sign Johnny Gaudreau

If Flames can sign Tkachuk long term this is probably best for Calgary.

Not saying losing Gaudreau for nothing doesn't hurt but I was never sold on him being part of a core of a winning team.  

I always said if McDavid and Draisaitl were part of the Flames ( and the Flames do have a good collection of players), the Flames would be a scary team.

Kekaleinen himself was incredulous when Gaudreau's agent called them back - says it kind of came out of the blue.  They had made an offer earlier in the day but didn't really expect a call back.  They already wanted to move out players to create spots for their prospects now it will also be to create cap space.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

If Flames can sign Tkachuk long term this is probably best for Calgary.

Not saying losing Gaudreau for nothing doesn't hurt but I was never sold on him being part of a core of a winning team.  

I always said if McDavid and Draisaitl were part of the Flames ( and the Flames do have a good collection of players), the Flames would be a scary team.

Tkachuk is as good as gone. That teams going up in fLames :excl:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Kekaleinen himself was incredulous when Gaudreau's agent called them back - says it kind of came out of the blue.  They had made an offer earlier in the day but didn't really expect a call back.  They already wanted to move out players to create spots for their prospects now it will also be to create cap space.  

I used to think Kekalainen was really smart.

Either I was mistaken, or he has really lost it.

He is going to regret this huge contract for years and years now.

25 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I used to think Kekalainen was really smart.

Either I was mistaken, or he has really lost it.

He is going to regret this huge contract for years and years now.

Not even the slightest, A hockey team from Ohio just signed the biggest fish, 40 goals 115 is no joke. I don't like the player but this is exciting for Columbus!

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Not even the slightest, A hockey team from Ohio just signed the biggest fish, 40 goals 115 is no joke. I don't like the player but this is exciting for Columbus!

I am glad you believe that; you could help market that team; Gaudreau is going there to get lost in woods, not light the place on fire.

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

I am glad you believe that; you could help market that team; Gaudreau is going there to get lost in woods, not light the place on fire.

What do you expect from him? To sign a 5x5? He puts up points and is a pretty electric player 

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Agreed about the “getting lost in the woods” part.  But lots of players want to get to where they can live in anonymity and just play the game and then live their lives without the attention away from the rink.  All US cities offer that.  And Columbus is a very nice city on top of that.   

The Flamer GM has aged 10 years in the last 24 hours. I have no problem with a player sacrificing money for his family's desire to be closer to home. All that aside didn't like Gudreau's game that much. IMHO his game wasn't balanced enough to pay him that kind of money, even with the discount. I think Calgary dodged a bullet. If Tachuck leaves a real issue looms with all Canadian clubs. If American born players actively abandon Canadian teams then the structure of Canadian teams has to change. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Flamer GM has aged 10 years in the last 24 hours. I have no problem with a player sacrificing money for his family's desire to be closer to home. All that aside didn't like Gudreau's game that much. IMHO his game wasn't balanced enough to pay him that kind of money, even with the discount. I think Calgary dodged a bullet. If Tachuck leaves a real issue looms with all Canadian clubs. If American born players actively abandon Canadian teams then the structure of Canadian teams has to change. 

Hes not even close to home.  And ohio is a craphole.  He just couldnt handle canada.

Just now, JM_ said:

pretty thin, but I suppose the plan is to let Sillinger and Johnson mature and maybe add more later?

I feel like the original plan was to 'retool' as a mediocre team for one more year, but the Gaudreau signing came truly out of the blue and put a shock on their timeline.

Kind of feel like they're gonna want a real 1C for Gaudreau, but without any cap space they'll probably bank on a Laine - Jenner - Gaudreau first line. At least Jenner has some comparables to Lindholm in terms of two-way play, and Laine a shoot first type like Tkachuk. I can imagine Laine would benefit greatly form Gudreau's elite playmaking abilities, so the line could end up being pretty good.

3 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I feel like the original plan was to 'retool' as a mediocre team for one more year, but the Gaudreau signing came truly out of the blue and put a shock on their timeline.

Kind of feel like they're gonna want a real 1C for Gaudreau, but without any cap space they'll probably bank on a Laine - Jenner - Gaudreau first line. At least Jenner has some comparables to Lindholm in terms of two-way play, and Laine a shoot first type like Tkachuk. I can imagine Laine would benefit greatly form Gudreau's elite playmaking abilities, so the line could end up being pretty good.

Jenner is great, but if he's the 1C, who's doing the heavy two-way lifting? 

But maybe they can work out a deal and bring in more veteran C depth. Hell, even adding a guy like Richardson would help. 

Just now, JM_ said:

Jenner is great, but if he's the 1C, who's doing the heavy two-way lifting? 

But maybe they can work out a deal and bring in more veteran C depth. Hell, even adding a guy like Richardson would help. 

Yea for sure, they don't have a ton of depth and that's gonna be a problem - the team is chalk full of problems which is part of the reason it's shocking JG signed there IMO. Larsen is probably gonna have to use his 1st line to outplay other team's 1st lines rather than having a classic checking line, unless GMJK can make another shrewd move. Secondary defensive duties will likely come from Kuraly. Not radically different from using Horvat as a primary matchup against top players, and Juho with secondary duties under BB.

This is from a CBJ site before the Gaudreau signing:

image.png.a3fd83791d3f1717a61e649cdce08ffc.png

• Thanks 1