The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets sign Johnny Gaudreau

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do hockey players get US based endorsements?  Not really.  I think guys like playing down there because no one really knows who they are.  They can be anonymous.  

Yip. Us Canadian fans live and breathe the game, which I'm sure can get obnoxious. 900 + post thread on JT alone. Yikes! Lol.

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. Us Canadian fans live and breathe the game, which I'm sure can get obnoxious. 900 + post thread on JT alone. Yikes! Lol.

I totally get why even Canadian players want to play down south. I would hate that too. I think you need to have the right kind of personality to play up here.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, McBackup said:

This is the only part that’s particularly egregious. You played here for a decade and never noticed Vancouver is pretty well known as a port city? Did you somehow miss the angry somersaulting whale you wore on your chest every day?

I am sure Kesler and his family enjoyed working and living in Vancity where everybody knows your name.  I think it has to do with family reasons and to get away from the FISH BOWL.  

Like American Johnny Hockey said:  it was time to make a little bit of a change,  it was a special place for me. I loved it there. The fans were great to me.  Jeff Petry got his wish to be traded to a US team the other day.  PJ JT went back to Toronto.  Established, rich high end hockey players can pick where they want to live and play just like anybody in the top of their profession.  You don't see many doctors moving to the little hick towns up north.  Like Johnny, Kesler gave Vancouver gave most of his prime hockey years.  He will always fondly look back and know he gave it all playing in Vancouver.  Even when the fans hated him when he decided to leave.

Anaheim, CA

Month     High / Low(°C)     Rain

July            29° / 19°           0 days

August       30° / 19°          0 days

September   29° / 18°    0 days

October       27° / 15°     1 day

More about this destination
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do hockey players get US based endorsements?  Not really.  I think guys like playing down there because no one really knows who they are.  They can be anonymous.  

Sure they do. Yes, an exception but Crosby was making 25% over and above his contract with endorsements. The best the Canuck players can get is advertising cars. I do think it is a factor. Not a deciding one but still on the radar. 

Gaudreau was close to signing with Devils before Blue Jackets called

2h ago
Icon Sportswire / Getty
NEWARK, NJ - OCTOBER 26: Calgary Flames left wing Johnny Gaudreau (13) during the National Hockey league game between the New Jersey Devils and the Calgary Flames on October 26, 2021 at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

The Columbus Blue Jackets eventually won the Johnny Gaudreau sweepstakes, but this summer's most coveted free agent admitted he came close to signing with the New Jersey Devils on July 13.

"The day of, I was only really talking to two (teams)," Gaudreau said during an appearance on "Spittin Chiclets." "I was pretty much signed with a different team, most of the day I hadn't heard from Columbus, and then all of a sudden they called at like 4 p.m., and I told my agent, 'I want to go here. Just try to get this done. This is the spot I want to be right here.'

"I was super thankful Columbus called during that late hour in the afternoon," he added. "I think I was trying to get a deal done with the Devils, and then Columbus called."

The star winger hails from New Jersey, and the Devils were believed to have offered him a seven-year deal that carried an average annual value of over $9 million, according to The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

Gaudreau's desire to be closer to his loved ones drew him away from the Calgary Flames, but distance ultimately gave the Blue Jackets an edge over the Devils for him and his wife while they expect their first child.

"I always said I wanted to play closer to home, but (Columbus) wasn't too close to where I'm getting bombarded with friends and family, basically an open-door policy, come in whenever you want," he said. "That's the way we kind of are down the shore here. … If we did it all year, I think it would've gotten a little out of hand at times."

Gaudreau ultimately opted to sign a seven-year, $68.25-million pact with the Blue Jackets. The 28-year-old said he was surprised by how much his decision shocked the hockey world and by the negative reaction from some Flames fans.

"I didn’t think I was gonna get it as bad as I have," he said. "I obviously thought there was gonna be some fans not happy, but I didn't think I was gonna hear about it as much as I have.

"I get it, they're a very passionate fanbase … they love their Flames, and the city of Calgary loves hockey. I understand it's been hard on a lot of people, but I still love that place. … It sucks having to leave. I wish them all the best, and hopefully, they can get over it soon here."

The talented playmaker had a spectacular end to his tenure north of the border thanks to a stunning 2021-22 campaign that saw him crack the 40-goal mark for the first time in his career. Among Calgary's single-season records, his 75 assists and 115 points this past campaign both rank second in team history.

Gaudreau sits fifth all-time in the Flames' record books with 609 points in 602 games.

23 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wonder which ghostwriter he picked to pen this damage control. Not one very familiar with the NHL if they’re calling Calgary “one of the NHL’s most storied franchises”.

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2022 at 8:28 AM, stanleysteamersmyl said:

I am sure Kesler and his family enjoyed working and living in Vancity where everybody knows your name.  I think it has to do with family reasons and to get away from the FISH BOWL.  

Like American Johnny Hockey said:  it was time to make a little bit of a change,  it was a special place for me. I loved it there. The fans were great to me.  Jeff Petry got his wish to be traded to a US team the other day.  PJ JT went back to Toronto.  Established, rich high end hockey players can pick where they want to live and play just like anybody in the top of their profession.  You don't see many doctors moving to the little hick towns up north.  Like Johnny, Kesler gave Vancouver gave most of his prime hockey years.  He will always fondly look back and know he gave it all playing in Vancouver.  Even when the fans hated him when he decided to leave.

Anaheim, CA

Month     High / Low(°C)     Rain

July            29° / 19°           0 days

August       30° / 19°          0 days

September   29° / 18°    0 days

October       27° / 15°     1 day

More about this destination

This, Also at some point who doesn't want to return to their natural habitat. After a long vacay I love returning back to Vancouver. It's comfort.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, rekker said:

Pretty nice farewell letter from the JG. Gotta admit, I have more respect for him after reading that. He didn't have to say anything and threw that out there. I can appreciate the sentiment. 

He doesnt seem to be a bad guy , I suppose I can start talking nicely about him now that he isnt on my most hated team in all of pro sports.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

He doesnt seem to be a bad guy , I suppose I can start talking nicely about him now that he isnt on my most hated team in all of pro sports.  

I hear you. I've definitely shoveled a lot of crap in his direction over the years. We are Canucks fans, he was a Flame, it's how it goes I suppose. Forget sometimes that these are young men with familes. 

• Cheers 1

CalgaryPuck:

Wonder what Chucky's letter to Calgary will look like? Lol

To Calgary, at least I didn't dick you like Johnny

To Calgary by Elias, Rasmus, and Jacob.

You see the thing is flights to Sweden take a lot less time from the East coast. Ok bye.

loool :lol::lol: comedy gold

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Canuck You said:

This, Also at some point who doesn't want to return to their natural habitat. After a long vacay I love returning back to Vancouver. It's comfort.

Bang on.  We are very fortunate to live in one of the best places in the world.  Mountains, forest and ocean.  Clean fresh air.

A sailor who worked on a ship told me years ago that Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.  Too bad there are many spoiled complainers who live here. 

After vacationing at a sunny hot place for weeks, it still feels good stepping out in the cold, damp rain after exiting YVR.  

Canadian Matthew McGill who is volunteered to fight in the Ukraine told Global News: 

Just be grateful that we don’t have war in Canada.”

Sounds like Gaudreau was willing to sign long term last season…

That would have completely changed that franchises fortunes. They could have got him on an 8 year deal for less than 9 mil. Tkachuk probably would have stayed too.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That would have completely changed that franchises fortunes. They could have got him on an 8 year deal for less than 9 mil. Tkachuk probably would have stayed too.

Not sure how Treleving survives this offseason tbh.

• Cheers 1

Was this said outright last season? Cause if this is true Treliving's time may be numbered. There aren't very many former Canucks on the market for him to stay afloat with.

Yeah, I hate to say it but if you’re a GM in today’s hockey world, you have to be prepared for guys to want to hit UFA regardless of what they or their agent tell you all along. Need to set an internal time limit for guys on their last year, and if they don’t sign by it, make the trade. If you manage it correctly you might still be able to recoup enough assets to continue your playoff push or at very least utilize to strengthen for next season.

Just think what they may have been able to secure for JG leading up to the trade deadline. Now, zilch. Just cap space and no viable replacement to spend it on. 

sucks. 

Edited by RWJC

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Was this said outright last season? Cause if this is true Treliving's time may be numbered. There aren't very many former Canucks on the market for him to stay afloat with.

Gaudreau said himself he was thinking about signing long term, building a house in Calgary and starting a family there.

Maybe he ultimately decided against it, but a good GM may have been able to convince to sign long term knowing that he was due for a big season.

Something tells me he would have jumped at a long term offer after his average 19-20 and 20-21 seasons. After a 114 point season and free agency on the horizon he obviously knew he could get his money anywhere.

Edited by DeNiro