The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg waiting on Canucks to make a move

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We have gotten quite a bit bigger and tougher at forward.  

Highmore, Motte, Lammikko, Petan, and Chiasson got replaced with Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Lazar, and Joshua. 

Yep baby steps.

Mikayev in the top 9 should make a big difference.

And Podkolzin coming into his own will give us that much needed powerforward.

Just need some more nastiness in the lineup. Lazar and Joshua are a good start, need one more guy who can play top 9 and bring the truculence.

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Some were for sure....where's that prediction thread?

I mean predicting a wild card spot isn’t exactly confidence.

Im confident that this team is a playoff team. Could even challenge for the division.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I would pass on Klingberg. Not really a need. Canucks already have Hughes and hopefully Rathbone for offense-first defensemen. Klingberg would be too expensive to be redundant. Sure it would be great to have two elite powerplay quarterbacks, one for each unit, but not if they're gonna combine for upwards of 15 million and neither is effective in a shutdown or PK role.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s 6 actually give me a break not including a 19 goal scorer. :lol:

You don’t think between Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, or Pearson one of them won’t hit 20? Of course they will.

I don’t know what happened to you, but lately you’ve just been a jaded Debbie Downer who just craps on everything about this team.

Thats a playoff team on paper, not sure why some fans still have to bitch and moan so much.

It's entirely dependant on how much ice time certain players get, and of how much of that ice time is taken from the guys at the very top of the lineup that produce at a higher clip. If players on our third line are netting close to the same ice time as the players on our top line, that likely means that our top line players are receiving less ice time, which will affect their numbers. 

But regardless, a surplus of forward depth is a good problem to have. I'm not arguing that. My issue is with the allocation of resources. We have a surplus of forward depth and glaring holes on our blueline, and now that teams have used all of their cap space on free agents and basically have their rosters set, it's become almost impossible to make a move to reallocate some of that forward depth to the blueline. 

Time will tell whether or not something happens, but as it stands right now I don't believe our D core is nearly good enough to be considered a well balanced team, nor do I believe our high end is strong enough to carry our sorry blueline into the playoffs. 

As far as me being a "Debbie Downer" is concerned, to put it bluntly, I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated that no steps seem to have been taken one way or another. We haven't created any cap space. We haven't gained any picks or prospects. We haven't filled the holes in our lineup. It's just kinda been "status quo", and status quo just isn't good enough.

And, to bring it back to the topic of discussion, Klingberg isn't the answer.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm frustrated that no steps seem to have been taken one way or another. We haven't created any cap space. We haven't gained any picks or prospects. We haven't filled the holes in our lineup. It's just kinda been "status quo", and status quo just isn't good enough.

We got some more sandpaper, we got a right handed center that can PK, and we got a lot more skill and speed with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev.  

While we haven't gained extra picks/prospects, we did sign Linus Karlsson, the RHD from Minny, Nils Aman, and probably someone else I'm forgetting.  

I do scratch my head though at why we had to give so much money to Mikheyev as that was the extra cap flexibility that we were looking for.  

Defense isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to you, and I don't think that there was an easy avenue to improving our defense.  We need a legitimate top pairing RHD to improve, otherwise we're just making sideways moves. 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We have a player that just put up 100 points and one that’s poised to be a 100 point player in his prime.

We do have those players, and I’d argue better depth and balance to our forward lineup then those teams. Makes it harder to shut down.

Better depth and balance to our forward lineup than TB?

gary coleman television GIF

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

All of the guys who scored 20+ goals (Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Miller, Mikayev) will all still get their same opportunities, nothing has changed.

Garland barely got power play time and bounced throughout the lineup. He’ll still be able to hit 20.

That leaves one of Podkolzin or Kuzmenko who should get elevated minutes and opportunity and based on Podkolzins rookie season it wouldn’t be surprising to see him get 20.

Spreading minutes will happen but you’re not accounting for higher quality of linemates. Having more winger depth would allow us to play Pettersson, Miller, and Horvat down the middle. That equals more production. Even if those guys don’t hit 30 they definitely hit 20.

49 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I think the hesitation is "on paper" was the same argument last year and they missed. People feel like they have been burned.

I think they'll make it though especially if they pull off one more move.

Yep, people dream of this stuff every year and then reality comes along. Chances are more likely there are problems with reaching these goals. Pearson getting 20 is highly unlikely as is Podz in his sophomore year. Kuzmenko getting 20 is just purely living in dreamland. If that all happens we'll likely be Conference Champs.

Yeah that stuff ain't happening. Lol 

52 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I'm looking forward to Joshua. He isn't huge but he's mean.

Lazar hits too.

Definitely think we added some grit to our lineup. Think it really adds another element to our forward group. Also, nice to have 3 more forwards who are good on the PK. Would still love to add a top 6 guy who plays a bit on the edge. Obviously Wilson comes to mind, but that's not going to happen. 

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Do Toronto or Edmonton?

Thats who I was comparing us too.

My bad. I think you're way over optimistic on this team though. It's going to be a large task for BB to get these guys all playing in the right spots and firing on all cylinders out of the gate. 

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Big time.

Garland has more heart and tenacity than you're giving him credit for.

It's ok, you can undervalue that. It's just opinion. Hope we get into the playoffs this season to see what's what.

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Garland has more heart and tenacity than you're giving him credit for.

It's ok, you can undervalue that. It's just opinion. Hope we get into the playoffs this season to see what's what.

Yeah. Garland, while small, has huge heart. I’m curious to see how he performs. He was quoted as saying that last year was very difficult. I hope he rebounds offensively in a huge way. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yep, people dream of this stuff every year and then reality comes along. Chances are more likely there are problems with reaching these goals. Pearson getting 20 is highly unlikely as is Podz in his sophomore year. Kuzmenko getting 20 is just purely living in dreamland. If that all happens we'll likely be Conference Champs.

Yeah that stuff ain't happening. Lol 

Podkolzin getting 6 more goals is crazy talk sure. :lol:

And lets not pretend we can even begin to know what Kuzmenko will do. You don’t know any more than I do whether he will or won’t score 20. If he really is a legit powerplay guy there’s no reason why he won’t get the opportunity.

• Upvote 1

My bad. I think you're way over optimistic on this team though. It's going to be a large task for BB to get these guys all playing in the right spots and firing on all cylinders out of the gate. 

He already had them firing on all cylinders last season. The belief is there.

I don’t think it’s being too optimistic. This team showed they’re capable of winning in the second half. Just about putting the effort in consistently, which is no different than any team.

The talent and drive is there.

• Cheers 3

Just now, DeNiro said:

Podkolzin getting 6 more goals is crazy talk sure. :lol:

And lets not pretend we can even begin to know what Kuzmenko will do. You don’t know any more than I do whether he will or won’t score 20. If he really is a legit powerplay guy there’s no reason why he won’t get the opportunity.

Exactly.

And I keep hearing from the radio guys and some analysts that Kuzmenko may have a translatable game to the NHL but he's not going to be dangerous or a big producer. I just keep watching tape of him and can't imagine he will score under 20 goals. Guy looks dangerous with the puck. Too many Debbie Downers here.

Maybe the kid will rip it up. Will be fun to find out anyways.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

You mean like when he got hired to a team that was 9-15-2, then went 32-15-10? Not to mention revived Petey's season and boost almost everyone on the teams stats? 

• Vintage 2