Severson

Marino 

Nemec 

Just like we shouldn't go into the season with an RD of:

Schenn

Myers 

Poolman

Burroughs

Something will give, it's just a matter of when.

That's why I'm thinking: lefties for righties (I admit, I got hung up on the idea of Hamilton for OEL; still got legs in my old brain, but..).

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The Devils didn't aquire him just to flip him. 

I hope you know I’m not picking on you or your perspectives. I’m playing devil’s advocate because ppl seem to be jumping the gun and being critical of a future event that has not happened. There’s a lot of time still prior to next season. We obviously have excess at F which could be effectively used to shore up D. We have tradable desirable options. Let’s see how things shake out before assuming mgmt has already F’d everything up. That’s all I’m hoping to convey. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

the log jam is on the right, not the left.  Podz, Mik, Garland, Boeser........one of those guys is going to have to flip to the left side and push Hogz out of the lineup, which is unfortunate.

You're right. I mixed up my sides. 

Boeser

Garland

Mik

Podz

Podz can't be on the fourth line. 

But yeah, if one of them flips to LW to keep them all in the top 9, then the LW is jammed up. 

Regardless, somethings gotta give. We can't go into the season with our blueline looking the way it does and with a top 9 forward on the fourth line.

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

We'll see.  Somehow I don't think it will be a bargain like that Marino trade though.

Maybe, but things converge at different times and not every one is privy to the events leading up as to why, nor get the chance to partake. 
if Marino could have been had for Rathbone and a 3rd, we could afford to absorb the Marino cap hit, JR wasn’t asleep in the golf cart on the 11th hole (jk), maybe something could have worked out. OR maybe PIT really values Smith as a pickup and think they made off like bandits with the best trade available to them that fits their immediate criteria.

We have to respect that we are just fans observing a business operation, assuming we are more involved than any current NHL mgmt professional who’s job is on the line to establish success. 

19 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think Bratt is untouchable. I'd be game for that though. 

We'd still have to move a LW though, as we currently have a logjam there. As it sits right now, and would still sit if we were to move Miller for Bratt and Severson, one of Pearson/Hoglander are on the fourth line, and I don't want to see either one of them there.

I like the idea of Mercer instead.  He's shown he can produce offence in this league, can play center or wing, young, good defensively and a high compete level.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I like the idea of Mercer instead.  He's shown he can produce offence in this league, can play center or wing, young, good defensively and a high compete level.

Is he a 5 tool player?

does he have a good looking girlfriend?

image.gif.9eb37b5c8e0daa1a781370caa3b65028.gif

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Assuming we'd be using him as our full time 3C, I'm not very comfortable with his low faceoff percentage. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player and I'm not opposed to the idea so long as we can net a 3C with something approaching a 50% clip somehow. We can't go into the season with 2 of our top 3 centers having a poor faceoff percentage.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Maybe, but things converge at different times and not every one is privy to the events leading up as to why, nor get the chance to partake. 
if Marino could have been had for Rathbone and a 3rd, we could afford to absorb the Marino cap hit, JR wasn’t asleep in the golf cart on the 11th hole (jk), maybe something could have worked out. OR maybe PIT really values Smith as a pickup and think they made off like bandits with the best trade available to them that fits their immediate criteria.

We have to respect that we are just fans observing a business operation, assuming we are more involved than any current NHL mgmt professional who’s job is on the line to establish success. 

In other words we shouldn't have opinions on this Canuck fan board?  You must have been beside yourself when

Benning was in charge.

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

In other words we shouldn't have opinions on this Canuck fan board?  You must have been beside yourself when

Benning was in charge.

I didn’t say or mean that at all. 
opinion is what this is all about!

insinuating that mgmt has already f’d up when we’re still months away from hockey being played, not to mention the potential for trades during the season, is both completely short sighted and convoluted though

Edited by RWJC

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Boeser

Garland

Mik

Podz

But yeah, if one of them flips to LW to keep them all in the top 9, then the LW is jammed up. 

Regardless, somethings gotta give. We can't go into the season with our blueline looking the way it does and with a top 9 forward on the fourth line.

Good thing wingers can learn to play both sides, not an issue I see at all

20 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Boeser

Garland

Mik

Podz

Odd man out is Garland.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

I didn’t say or mean that at all. 
opinion is what this is all about!

insinuating that mgmt has already f’d up when we’re still months away from hockey being played, not to mention the potential for trades during the season, is both completely short sighted and convoluted though

IMO they did miss out on a great option for a fabulous price.  I am aware that there is still time to find potential the

trades before season begins in Oct.  That is hardly being 'completely short-sighted and convoluted.'

I think the NYR, NJ Devil, NYI  will be in mix for Miller? How about Calgary they have some good 

Devils  - Miller 5.5 million-- Pearson 3.2 million-----  Vancouver- Marino 4.4 million RD-- Wood 26 RFA 2.8 million??, W -- Bahl 6'6 LD --- 2nd rounder 2024

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Odd man out is Garland.

Yup.  Garland is a decent player, but he is replaceable.  Having speed on the wing driving the D back will open up space above the dots for Brock to fill.  Shooting from those high danger spots Brock will score 40+. Garland doesn’t have the shot to take advantage.  Nor does he have the speed to drive defender back to create space.  

34 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

That's why I'm thinking: lefties for righties (I admit, I got hung up on the idea of Hamilton for OEL; still got legs in my old brain, but..).

I guess it's possible in theory for a Hamilton for OEL swap, but I doubt it works for for several reasons.  Beyond that, all we have is Rathbone for Marino, but then NY is back in the same boat as before with Ty Smith.  RD (Severson or Marino) for Forward (Miller, Garland) just makes too much sense for both teams.  At this point I think it will happen.

Just now, higgyfan said:

IMO they did miss out on a great option for a fabulous price.  I am aware that there is still time to find potential the

trades before season begins in Oct.  That is hardly being 'completely short-sighted and convoluted.'

Why when and how did they miss out?

Can you provide the transcript of the conversations/negotiations.
you don’t have it?

you’re just assuming you know what went down then?

what if they wanted Podz for Marino straight up and wouldn’t budge?

is that still missing out? 

You’re making up a story in your mind that they lost out on Marino without any fact to back it up, and then establishing a further narrative off of said conjecture. 

that’s called convoluting something. 

Marino went for next to nothing.

Could mean the rest of the league is low on him, including the Canucks. We could have easily beat this offer, so perhaps management has something else up their sleeves.

Or it could mean the rest of the league fell asleep on this, like the Toews trade to Colorado.

As for Severson, no thanks, at least not as the centerpiece of a Miller trade. Rather get one "A" piece over 2-3 "B" pieces. He'll probably be looking for 6M or something on his next deal given he's an upcoming UFA... don't want any part of that.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Marino went for next to nothing.

Could mean the rest of the league is low on him, including the Canucks. We could have easily beat this offer, so perhaps management has something else up their sleeves.

Or it could mean the rest of the league fell asleep on this, like the Toews trade to Colorado.

As for Severson, no thanks, at least not as the centerpiece of a Miller trade. Rather get one "A" piece over 2-3 "B" pieces.

Severson is an “A” piece. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1