The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I see Bradley is 17 and Josh is 19...  

I wonder if Josh went undrafted last year?  Bradley seems to be ranked in high second round by some publications. 

Josh did go undrafted.  Was very undersized.  Check out the next time the Penticton vees play in your area for a BCHL game.  They are electric together 

• Cheers 1

If we're picking 5th overall, it's hard to get a read on Benson. Super highly offensively skilled guy but obviously smaller and mainly played wing. If Bedard wasn't in his league he'd be leading the league in scoring. 81pts in 51 games in the W is pretty nuts, ignoring Bedard's totals. I know Bedard is of another level but guys like Fantilli (who is leading the NCAA amongst guys much older than him) alongside Carlsson and Michkov who are playing against fully grown men and basically scoring like middle-6 players are all up there.

Benson would probably be first, if not top-3 overall in any other draft but he's surrounded by beasts. I wonder if he falls because of his size but I think someone will snag him because of his high offensive ability. Will Smith is almost like Fantilli-light and will surely destroy the NCAA next year.

3. Leo Carlsson C 6'3 - His combination of elusiveness and power is just so rare and unique. I talked earlier in the season about how he relied mainly on skill to create offense at the pro level and yet he has this whole other area of untapped potential if he could start using his size to bring more of a power element to his offensive game. I was on the verge of caving to general opinion and bumping Fantilli ahead of him, but I watched a couple Orebro games in the past week and I'm finally starting to see glimpses of the monster Carlsson could become.

One thing I noticed at the WJC was, Carlsson was always around the puck and involved in every play. He has sze as a youngster and you can't teach size as others have pointed out. Sorry to say without a BRian Burke type move hee's going to be long gone, unless we can fall further or jump up in the lottery. He may be better suited for NHL hockey than Bedard :P

Usually I develop clear opinions about the draft even I have never seen most of the guys play and there is very little in the way of advanced stats available. So my opinions don't much. But there are a few things I know.

1. One thing to keep in mind is that between age 18 and age 20 the average height gain is about 1 inch and the average weight gain is about 10 pounds. And most guys continue to add another 5 pounds or so after that and some guys even add a bit more height.  Of course it varies a lot by individual. Guys who mature early (like Horvat) might be full size at the draft while other guys that age might add a lot later (like Tanev, who was undrafted). So I usually add one inch and 10 to 15 pounds when assessing likely NHL size.

2. Pretty much everyone has Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson at the top. Bedard has the strong pre-draft record since McDavid and Fantilli and Carlsson would be good first overall picks most years. Getting anything in the top 3 would be great.

3. Some "contrarians" insist on putting Michkov in the top 3. There is no way he goes in the top 3 and I would be very surprised if he goes at #4. or #5. One problem is that he is signed in the KHL through 2025-26 (3 more years). Not only does that mean he cannot play in the NHL until the 2026-27 season at the earliest, it also means the drafting team cannot control his development. With a top 5 pick you hope the guy can help you by his Draft + 2 year or maybe Draft +3. Both Petey and Hughes were stars in their Draft + 3 years. Michkov would not be available until his draft +4 year and he might not sign even then. Current geopolitical problems with Russia do not help.

Also, while his offensive skills are outstanding, his defence is not great and there have been concerns about "character" issues. Also, NHL scouts have not had much chance to watch him live or interact with him.  In addition, he is on the small side and is one of the older guys in the draft. He is high risk (think Yakupov). Also, he is a winger -- the least valuable position. When trying to determine the best player available (BPA), position matters. Given the number of very good players available it would be a mistake for the Canucks to take Michkov anywhere in the top 8 or 9.

4. There are advantages to getting players who actually want to be here (like Petey). I am not saying that is a big factor, but it matters when it comes time to re-sign players.

5. This is a very strong draft. The value from "tanking" and from acquiring picks is higher than usual. I hope the Islanders do well enough so that the Canucks get their pick this year.

6. Benson is close to being a consenus top 5 or 6 pick.  I would be very happy if the Canucks get him.

7. The rankings on D's are all over the map. Many names have made it into the top 20 on different lists but no-one is a consensus top 20 pick. Sandin-Pellikka has the highest average rating and is at least a consensus first round pick. It might make sense to go after D's in the second round. Hope the team can acquire another second round pick.

• Cheers 2

I'm finding that this Draft doesn't have the Ds that make me go "wow".  There's no Makar, Hughes, Power, Dahlin, Sergachev or Heiskanen, etc.  So far there are only 3 D I would consider in the 1sr Round:

Sandin-Pellikka

Simashev

Willander

Does the 2023/24 Draft look better to draft Ds?

Maybe the Canucks should try to get 2024 Draft picks in trade returns.  Or, if the NYI 1st pick gets moved to next year's draft, the Canucks could select the best possible D with their two 1sts.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm finding that this Draft doesn't have the Ds that make me go "wow".  There's no Makar, Hughes, Power, Dahlin, Sergachev or Heiskanen, etc.  So far there are only 3 D I would consider in the 1sr Round:

Sandin-Pellikka

Simashev

Willander

Does the 2023/24 Draft look better to draft Ds?

Maybe the Canucks should try to get 2024 Draft picks in trade returns.  Or, if the NYI 1st pick gets moved to next year's draft, the Canucks could select the best possible D with their two 1sts.

I would like to see the Canucks pick up one of the big, skilled C's in the top 6, although I like Dvorsky more

than Smith.

Sandi-Pellikka is great selection, but my preference for the Islander 1st (13-18) is a RD with a bigger

frame like Reinbacher (although I can see the Canucks taking Sandi-P).  I also like Simasev + Dragicevic.

Sure would be awesome if the Nucks could somehow pick up a late 1st at TCL.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

@HighOnHockey

Well if luck has it, we get your wish....

our first pick..........Dvorsky, Smith, .....................Moore, Yager

NYI pick................ Reinbacker, ..........................Sandi-Pelliikka

our 2nd pick...........Strbak, Wiilander, Bonk?.......Allen

Anyways.................if we come out with a combination of any of these players, I would be very happy

• Vintage 2

7 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

4. Adam Fantilli C 6'2 - A true old-school power forward, an elite defensive forward, and a highly skilled offensive playmaker walk in to a restaurant, and the hostess asks "table for one?" How is this possible???

Your entire write-up made for an excellent read, but I especially enjoyed your take on Fantilli! Lol so clever! 

• Cheers 1

With Garland and Boeser finally finding their scoring touch, I’d like to see if the Canucks package those 2 for a 1st rounder.  Garland is on a pretty good deal and when playing the way he has is worth his contract.  And Boeser is a streaky goal scorer, has been his entire career.  If the Wild want him they better be willing to part with their first round pick.  Or at the bare minimum Ohgren.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

With Garland and Boeser finally finding their scoring touch, I’d like to see if the Canucks package those 2 for a 1st rounder.  Garland is on a pretty good deal and when playing the way he has is worth his contract.  And Boeser is a streaky goal scorer, has been his entire career.  If the Wild want him they better be willing to part with their first round pick.  Or at the bare minimum Ohgren.  

I don't think any team is willing to take on 10m worth of cap right now. Especially for wingers.

I’m a few days late to the party on this but last Friday my roommate was streaming the Seattle Thunderbirds vs Tri Cities game so I sat down and watched. I have to say, I did not find anything exciting about Lukas Dragicevic. Which is weird because he had a 2 point night. But I just never really felt like he did much out there and I wasn’t all that impressed with his defensive play. Despite two points he was also a -1. I know as a dman he’s probably potentially in play for our pick from the Islanders so I figured I’d see how he looked. I felt like he didn’t control the point all that impressively on the PP. his defensive positioning wasn’t all that great. He didn’t wow me on breakouts once during the game. 

I think the Thunderbirds play Tri Cities a couple more times, including a game this Friday that I’ll likely be going to. Definitely curious to watch him again and see if he lives up to the hype. Obviously not going to fully judge a player on just one game, but I certainly wasn’t very impressed. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@HighOnHockey

Well if luck has it, we get your wish....

our first pick..........Dvorsky, Smith, .....................Moore, Yager

NYI pick................ Reinbacker, ..........................Sandi-Pelliikka

our 2nd pick...........Strbak, Wiilander, Bonk?.......Allen

Anyways.................if we come out with a combination of any of these players, I would be very happy

That is a very realistic projection of the Canucks draft in the first 2 rounds (without the lotto).

I could see the Canucks landing either one of those dman with the 2nd pick.  Really like Strbak + Bonk.

If they can acquire another 2nd, maybe pick up another C or LD.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

That is a very realistic projection of the Canucks draft in the first 2 rounds (without the lotto).

I could see the Canucks landing either one of those dman with the 2nd pick.  Really like Strbak + Bonk.

If they can acquire another 2nd, maybe pick up another C or LD.

If we acquire another 2nd......let's take a goalie

Coming out of it with a center, 2 RHD and a goalie out of the first  two rounds would be incredible....but maybe with our 3rd....

It will be a good draft year for us, if they all hit! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Todays spin:

image.png.ebdd4b2ff617d618853272a63550effd.png

I'd be happy with any of these guys except Cristall. I'm starting to think Sale may be a guy people are sleeping on. Looks to have a lot of composure and pro translatable skills. But I definitely want a center.

Out of curiosity what’s the knock against Cristall? I haven’t seen him play in person but he has good numbers and a good highlight reel.