The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nice player but ASP has a way higher ceiling and that’s what Allvin wants. A difference maker. 

For those very same reasons, I don't expect him to be available at 11.

Most scouting lists have him outside the top 10, but considering the scarcity of right handed dman in this draft, especially those who can be a difference maker, he will go higher than people anticipate. 

Last year you saw Kevin Korchinski go to Chicago at 8 when he was ranked anywhere from 12-early 20's. Mobile dman are a premium, especially a right handed dman.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Reinbacher is my guy this draft, but I hope 2 defensemen do go in the top 10. I believe this is almost no chance David falls, so I'd rather see a forward get pushed down a slot with someone like the blues reaching for ASP

I still think there's a good chance no dman goes top 10 in this draft

On 5/11/2023 at 12:10 AM, Pure961089 said:

So many options for the Canucks here.  Let's not draft for the needs we have right now. Sure we want to get more rhd in our pipeline but not at the cost of reaching with an 11th overall pick.  An 11th overall pick is like a top 5 pick in any other draft. Yeah, this draft is that good.  By the time our pick is ready we might not need a rhd. Hronek and to be honest I think Woo is going to pop off next year. Check me but he (Woo) scored like 16 points in his last 25 games. He rekindled his scoring touch and still has his physical gnarl.  And it's all attributed to our new development staff.  I like Bear, maybe not a top 4 but pushing towards that.  The Canucks need high end talent at the Centre possition and the LW as well, identify that special thing that can't be taught.  My personal choices would be Wood, Cristall, (of course Benson but unlikely), Stenberg, Sale and Shimishev. All those picks have something you can't teach.  With our development staff they can produce stars if they're willing to put in the work. 

I have a feeling you replied to the wrong post as not one single Dman was discussed. I suggested in that scenario we go for Moore. 

13 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Could contain: Page, Text

I really hope someone takes Dvorsky before us. Imagine squandering one of the most elite drafts in recent history to make a "safe" pick

My opinion is smaller guys are the really mispriced commodity. The NHL is getting smaller, faster, more skilled. A guy like Benson is an elite talent who gets punished because hes short. Look at so many of the huge steals in recent history - DeBrincat, Caufield, Point, etc. all small guys with elite talent who got passed over because "muhhh small". 

Edited by YearoftheNuck

9 hours ago, stawns said:

I still think there's a good chance no dman goes top 10 in this draft

I think that's a fair evaluation if we are basing it off talent. I do personally believe Reinbacher is a top 10 talent this year, but I've also been high on him since January when he was being rated in the 15-20 range. But even then, teams often reach for position, so I think a team or 2 will definitely reach for a defensemen. IMO best case scenario is Reinbacher is there at 11, he's my guy 100% this draft.

23 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The thing is...we took Podkolzin at 10th and I wasn't enamoured with the pick as a winger.  A lot were and still are but nothing about Podkolzin says more than 3rd liner to me at this stage.  Did during the 2019 draft.

It was a winger and I liked Boldy more.  He just had something Podkolzin seemed to be missing.

I feel the same with Wood.  He has that something and that size is so tempting because all of his flaws are absolutely fixable and the ceiling would be something the Canucks have not had since Big Bert in a winger.

You're right.  We're missing a hard nosed winger to go with our skill guys.  Wood or Dvorsky fit that and between the two I like Wood more.

Those shinny wingers…. Must resist and finally take a RHD and solve the biggest long term hole in franchise history… once and for all… must stay strong…

One more year to build from our massive stockpile of wingers until the addiction can be fixed with the top club.

especially the power forward variant that has been this clubs majority focus in drafting.

Get the big guy that can skate and score… and yes, this is not a knock on the viability of any one pick this year.

it’s a summary of repeated failures of a franchise to address things that cannot be addressed outside of drafting and or giving up first rounders in packages to address,

A lot of work has been done to fix and or improve the internal structure and personnel for our prospects and depth on the farm.

If no only If the RHD ASP and Reinbacher are gone, both blue chip RHD that will make the NHL as either 2-3 guys with shots and or offensive skill.

Then it makes sense to go after a player that is equally likely to make the NHL in a top six role as a Center, LHd  or PF winger.

I just can’t take it anymore…

lol. 

I think there is something missing from Podz, at this level that I thought wasn’t a problem in other settings.

his development in Russia was terrible, and I like his drive.

he was shut down with injuries and maybe that’s a good thing.

a lot going on for a Young Russian man these days.

a lot of his friends from childhood are dead in a war right now, cafe’s he went too in St Petersburg have been the site of bombings and the Restaurant Czar of St Petersburg is now a Mercenary General who has led almost countless young Russian men to violent deaths.

I loved his progress in the back half of last year, and it and many things did not materialize this year.

like Jett Woo, there are some issues with development that were neglected and or impossible to solve in other leagues or with prior coaches.

Boldy is looking great, and your not wrong, I am also not right.

Edited by Phat Fingers

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Been listening to a lot of scouting podcasts/interviews from Shane Malloy, Chris Peters, and Corey Pronman.

A name they said to keep an eye on is Tom Willander. Swedish RHD, 6'1 179lbs. Played 30 mins at the Ivan Hlinka tourney for Sweden. Scouted to be an all-around two way dman. Corey Pronman saying he is a minute munching dman who plays all situations is a guy who is ascending up the draft lists. I'd be interested to see if perhaps the Canucks trade down to gain an extra pick to help move out salary while also taking stylistically a player they desperately need in their pipeline. Some lists have him as early going 16-18, and as late as early 2nd round.

https://thehockeywriters.com/tom-willander-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

If Reinbacher and Dvorsky are gone, I definitely wouldn't be opposed to trying to trade down with Detroit for 18 and 43. We could potentially walk away from the draft with Willander at 18 and Strbak/Bonk/Akey at 43.

Willander definitely seems to have flown under the radar a bit and might not be as NHL ready as Reinbacher but I can see him having similar upside if we're patient. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Gawd I hope so. 

Michkov is potentially a franchise altering player. 

Wouldn’t the Caps take Michkov? Russian connection. Next great Russian. All that PR stuff. Plus, the kid is a great player. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Those shinny wingers…. Must resist and finally take a RHD and solve the biggest long term hole in franchise history… once and for all… must stay strong…

Good to see you're still with us.

• Huggy Bear 1

There is so much trauma it's kinda sad. Our fans wounds are so deep from Juolevi and Virtanen that we just keep flogging ourselves with 160lb wingers. 

Our scouts should be laser focused on D, 2 way C's and PWR Fwds who can skate. Of which there are a plethora that could be on the board at 11 but somehow everyone will lose their minds if we don't take the scrawny winger who drops to us. 

It's time to move on. It's ok to do something nice for yourself. Some players just don't work out regardless of what position they play. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

Just now, hammertime said:

There is so much trauma it's kinda sad. Our fans wounds are so deep from Juolevi and Virtanen that we just keep flogging ourselves with 160lb wingers. 

Our scouts should be laser focused on D, 2 way C's and PWR Fwds who can skate. Of which there are a plethora that could be on the board at 11 but somehow everyone will lose their minds if we don't take the scrawny winger who drops to us. 

It's time to move on. It's ok to do something nice for yourself. Some players just don't work out regardless of what position they play. 

What if Michkov falls to us? He’s a smaller winger? Benson is a smaller winger. 
Elite skill is what we are looking for. If a guy is big and rugged that’s great but he’s got to combine that with the skills that allow him to play top minutes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Wouldn’t the Caps take Michkov? Russian connection. Next great Russian. All that PR stuff. Plus, the kid is a great player. 

Absolutely. I don’t see anyway he gets past the caps. I can’t believe they were only five point out of a playoff spot and then sold key players to tank this year. It’s looking like a pretty smart move right about now, and will look genius if they manage to land Michkov. 

True story; when they sold at the deadline I told my bud that I thought they were tanking for Michkov. I really hope that doesn’t work out for them lol

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, hammertime said:

I agree. I think you're making a great point here. You absolutely can have success in the playoffs with small skilled players. The key is most successful teams only have a few. Like a Pete, Hughes, Kuzmenko boom done! Then you surround them with monsters. As much as I'm a huge Hoglander, Garland fan. When we look at our top 6 scorers

Kuzz Pete Beau

Garland Miller Brock

We have 1 player who could win a physical battle down low. 

We won't have success in the PO's built like that. 

I think each of Beau Garland Brock should be able to return roughly a 2nd rnd pick. There's approx 15m cap there. If I'm gm I move all 3 at the draft. Shop for a 3C and a shut down D or 2 maybe one or several of them ends up part of those deals.  

If Alvin is successful in accomplishing this sort of re configure I'll throw my full support behind him drafting all the Lekkerimakis he wants. 

I agree on the first point completely. That top 6 as we have constructed would get eaten alive in the playoffs. I've been watching the playoffs very closely and this is the exact reason Toronto failed. Got pushed around and outhit man for man, especially at the top of the line-up.

On the second point I'm not sure Garland or Boeser get a return as you suggest. I think we'd be awfully lucky to dump them for free.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What if Michkov falls to us? He’s a smaller winger? Benson is a smaller winger. 
Elite skill is what we are looking for. If a guy is big and rugged that’s great but he’s got to combine that with the skills that allow him to play top minutes. 

That's like saying what if Bedard falls. Michkov just beat Ovi's records. 

Benson is another story. I get Garland vibes. I'm a big Garland fan. But we don't need another midget who can't play special teams. 

Benson put up nearly 100 points but only 24 came on the PP where the D box out. He has 2 of the top 10 scores in the WHL on his line 3 I guess if you include Benson.

Heidt 43 PP Pts 

Cristall put up 30 PP Pts but the next best player on his team is Gabriel Szturk who finished 21st in scoring.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I agree on the first point completely. That top 6 as we have constructed would get eaten alive in the playoffs. I've been watching the playoffs very closely and this is the exact reason Toronto failed. Got pushed around and outhit man for man, especially at the top of the line-up.

On the second point I'm not sure Garland or Boeser get a return as you suggest. I think we'd be awfully lucky to dump them for free.

I think there's a possibility for a hockey trade. They could be part of trades that return a 3c or a shut down D. 

If I go into the proposals section and propose to trade Brock for a 2nd the Brock fans will come out of the wood work. 70 point this and that. Heck even a smart guy like @HighOnHockey wanted to do Ottawa 7 overall for Brock last year. And he's an Ottawa fan first. 

I think both Garland and Brock for that matter Beauvellier are worthwhile players they just don't fit here. We need a new look. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Agree with your first point. Canucks are not close to being big enough. We have Miller in the top 6 and that is pretty much it. 

It will be a bad thing is Allvin cannot move out Boeser and Garland for at least 2nd rdrs or prospects. That might be overvaluing them but dare to dream. Your concern is even more valid as the success of the Pathers, Carolina and Seattle brings home the realization that teams who play a tight checking and disciplined game can be competitive. NHL teams watching them might decide to spread their CAP money down in to the 3rd & 4th lines rather than spend it on Marner and Matthew types. 

• Upvote 1