The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

12 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

I have a feeling you replied to the wrong post as not one single Dman was discussed. I suggested in that scenario we go for Moore. 

No, you're right, if both D were taken Moore would be the best player available.  

What's a tougher league? The NDTP U18 or J20 Nationall?  I think it's important to understand the Swedes like ASP are playing against 18, 19, 20 year olds. And Leonard and Moore are playing against 16, 17, 18 year olds. There's a big difference. Even if players aren't lighting up the SHL what they do in their J20 league is still very impressive. 

Yeah its not about size / position anxiety for me its how the player is gonna fit into the team in 2 years time. I mean whoever we draft I'm gonna be concerned their gonna be the next Jake/OJ/JL( even tho he hasn't even properly busted yet lol).

Drafting another small lightweight winger just isn't gonna work with our squad - we have almost no size on the wings or really at center to help make space for them, unless they have say, Marner type upside and we can truly restructure around them. And I don't see us getting that player outside the top 6, unless Michkov does fall - but still if Washington pass on him, u gotta worry and he isn't gonna play in the NHL till 2026. Also u gotta worry about the development of Podz and what that means for Michkov.

I feel we need a strong 2 way player with size and skill either C/RHD much preferred. I kinda feel the really good players that might be available but don't fit that mold are Benson and ASP.

13 hours ago, stawns said:

I still think there's a good chance no dman goes top 10 in this draft

The earliest I can see Reinbacher going is 6 to Arizona.  They take the top rated defenseman with 6 and BPA forward with the 12th.

I can see St.Louis drafting Sandin-Pellikka out of need.

I'd say there's a 10% chance one of them gets drafted in the top 10. :lol:

52 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think there's a possibility for a hockey trade. They could be part of trades that return a 3c or a shut down D. 

If I go into the proposals section and propose to trade Brock for a 2nd the Brock fans will come out of the wood work. 70 point this and that. Heck even a smart guy like @HighOnHockey wanted to do Ottawa 7 overall for Brock last year. And he's an Ottawa fan first. 

I think both Garland and Brock for that matter Beauvellier are worthwhile players they just don't fit here. We need a new look. 

Yeah Garland is a unique tweener just not suited to our team. He fits on a team where he can slot into the top 6, silently produce offence, and not hurt your overall defensive structure. He's a pretty expensive 5mil dollar 3rd line checker who doesn't PK or impose his will physically. I don't think he holds much value due to that contract.

Beauvillier I like too. He's on the smaller side but played pretty damn good with Petey. He has really good skills, speed, and hockey sense, and he is known as a playoff performer. Easiest contract to get rid of though.

I would hope for a hockey trade too, obviously the value is hugely impacted by Covid so while I agree with the sentiment of 70 point Brock it's hard to see in reality. I heard Chicago mentioned and I think they or someone else might be persuaded but trading those 3 for 3 second rounders would be an incredible move for the organization. 

Oh My George Takai GIF 

I'm getting mushy just thinking about it. Haha, just one second rounder would be awesome. C'mon Allvin ... DOOOOOO STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUF !!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

What if Michkov falls to us? He’s a smaller winger? Benson is a smaller winger. 
Elite skill is what we are looking for. If a guy is big and rugged that’s great but he’s got to combine that with the skills that allow him to play top minutes. 

You take Michov... 100%.

The chance of him being a generational talent is just too good to miss out on at the 11th pick...

As for Benson, I'm not sold on him and a case can be made for taking him and for not... But Michov you take...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wouldn’t the Caps take Michkov? Russian connection. Next great Russian. All that PR stuff. Plus, the kid is a great player. 

although I don't see the concerns as others do . Western countries  don't want to blame the Russian people for Putin and he wants any Russian  to make money outside of Russia as long as they don't break their contracts. That being said Washington might not want to risk having 2 first round picks in a row in the same situation . that's just how I see it but i really don't know anything about how it all works .I would really like to see him in a Canucks uniform if we are taking a winger in this draft !!! OK from all i have read I am having him first on my wish list now that we didn't win the draft lottery   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nurnge said:

although I don't see the concerns as others do . Western countries  don't want to blame the Russian people for Putin and he wants any Russian  to make money outside of Russia as long as they don't break their contracts. That being said Washington might not want to risk having 2 first round picks in a row in the same situation . that's just how I see it but i really don't know anything about how it all works .I would really like to see him in a Canucks uniform if we are taking a winger in this draft !!! OK from all i have read I am having him first on my wish list now that we didn't win the draft lottery   

Maybe, if he falls out of the top five, we trade up a couple spots to get him? 

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think there's a possibility for a hockey trade. They could be part of trades that return a 3c or a shut down D. 

If I go into the proposals section and propose to trade Brock for a 2nd the Brock fans will come out of the wood work. 70 point this and that. Heck even a smart guy like @HighOnHockey wanted to do Ottawa 7 overall for Brock last year. And he's an Ottawa fan first. 

I think both Garland and Brock for that matter Beauvellier are worthwhile players they just don't fit here. We need a new look. 

Nein nein. Let's be clear it was moving down 8 spots. Not giving away a 1st for Boeser. No need to be disingenuous.

And furthermore, considering Lekkerimaki was my guy, Sens could've got him at 15 anyway so double win for me. We needed goal-scoring. I was stoked for DeBrincat though.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Nein nein. Let's be clear it was moving down 8 spots. Not giving away a 1st for Boeser. No need to be disingenuous.

And furthermore, considering Lekkerimaki was my guy, Sens could've got him at 15 anyway so double win for me. We needed goal-scoring. I was stoked for DeBrincat though.

@HighOnHockey

if Leonard, ASP, Moore, and Benson are there for us at 11 who do you think is best for us? 

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

That's like saying what if Bedard falls. Michkov just beat Ovi's records. 

Benson is another story. I get Garland vibes. I'm a big Garland fan. But we don't need another midget who can't play special teams. 

Benson put up nearly 100 points but only 24 came on the PP where the D box out. He has 2 of the top 10 scores in the WHL on his line 3 I guess if you include Benson.

Heidt 43 PP Pts 

Cristall put up 30 PP Pts but the next best player on his team is Gabriel Szturk who finished 21st in scoring.

I don’t see the garland comparison at all outside of their public measurements. 

garland I still don’t think he’s actually 5 10, I think he’s more 5 9 or even shorter. And he’s 165lbs as a full grown man. 

benson could still grow a little I. Height and he’s already the same weight as a garland.

now stylistically.

they are immensely different. Garland does not have the defensive IQ and doesn’t kill penalties.

Benson has the defensive awareness of a 2 Way C, generates offence from defensive play and his work away from the puck. And he’s not just a penalty killer he’s a star on the penalty kill.

Benson also plays a hard skill style of game and had success in JR hockey from his first season there where he was 15.

Garland wasn’t even drafted his draft year.

i just don’t see the comparisons stylistically or in skill sets and the only comp I see is there current weight / height publicly listed  

a vibe is a vibe though.

cause bensons really only negatives are that:

- he does not have elite speed (like some GMS want to see from smaller forwards) 

- faceoffs

- size 

I do think his speed can be improved and I think since he’s so smart he will read plays ahead and be on the right spots when he needs to be. I also think his skating is better than public reporting says and his edge work is great also better than people give him credit for. 

faceoffs are a learned skill, but him struggling in jr this far in makes me think he just hasn’t had the appropriate coaching, or his size combo is just not ideal for  winning draw. But faceoff stats really depend on wingers battling for those wins too. But from what I’ve seen they are an issue for him.

size

hes such an amazing 2 way player, passer / distributer and he’s so smart that it sucks to

think he checks so many stud centre boxes but how important size and faceoffs are. I think he will be able to overcome the size issue due to having multiple elite traits.

-

also there is something to be said about how bedard pushed a generation of local kids here to be better and benson is one.

garland what are his elite traits? His motor is 1, draws penalties is 2 but come from his hard working motor.

he’s a winger that doesn’t kill penalties, isn’t great defensively, doesn’t have size, has a short stick, isn’t an elite distributor, doesn’t have elite speed (but his skating is good), his work away from the puck isn’t great, he’s most effective when he has puck possession. I guess I just don’t see it. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

@HighOnHockey

if Leonard, ASP, Moore, and Benson are there for us at 11 who do you think is best for us? 

today in this moment I’d go

Leonard

benson 

Moore / ASP (they are in the same tier for me right now and I haven’t concluded the order for them yet, gun to head I’ll go ASP due to him being a super high end asset / tradechip at the very least)

i just think Leonard is a can’t miss power forward with skill who plays a translatable style game and has an NHL shot. 

i really do see a blend of Matthew Tkachuk and JT Miller in Leonard 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, R3aL said:

garland I still don’t think he’s actually 5 10, I think he’s more 5 9 or even shorter. And he’s 165lbs as a full grown man. 

benson could still grow a little I. Height and he’s already the same weight as a garland.

now stylistically.

they are immensely different. Garland does not have the defensive IQ and doesn’t kill penalties.

Benson has the defensive awareness of a 2 Way C, generates offence from defensive play and his work away from the puck. And he’s not just a penalty killer he’s a star on the penalty kill.

Benson also plays a hard skill style of game and had success in JR hockey from his first season there where he was 15.

i just don’t see the comparisons stylistically or in skill sets and the only comp I see is there current weight / height publicly listed  

a vibe is a vibe though.

- he does not have elite speed (like some GMS want to see from smaller forwards) 

- faceoffs

- size 

I do think his speed can be improved and I think since he’s so smart he will read plays ahead and be on the right spots when he needs to be. I also think his skating is better than public reporting says and his edge work is great also better than people give him credit for. 

faceoffs are a learned skill, but him struggling in jr this far in makes me think he just hasn’t had the appropriate coaching, or his size combo is just not ideal for  winning draw. But faceoff stats really depend on wingers battling for those wins too. But from what I’ve seen they are an issue for him.

size

hes such an amazing 2 way player, passer / distributer and he’s so smart that it sucks to

think he checks so many stud centre boxes but how important size and faceoffs are. I think he will be able to overcome the size issue due to having multiple elite traits.

-

also there is something to be said about how bedard pushed a generation of local kids here to be better and benson is one.

garland what are his elite traits? His motor is 1, draws penalties is 2 but come from his hard working motor.

he’s a winger that doesn’t kill penalties, isn’t great defensively, doesn’t have size, has a short stick, isn’t an elite distributor, doesn’t have elite speed (but his skating is good), his work away from the puck isn’t great, he’s most effective when he has puck possession. I guess I just don’t see it. 

Exactly right. People talk about Garlands junior offence as well, but QMJHL is a very high scoring league. Garland didn’t have anywhere near the tools Benson does, hence why Garland ended up in the 5th round 

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

now stylistically.

a vibe is a vibe though.

- faceoffs

- size 

size

-

I'm more referring to Moncton Wildcat Garland in cica 2014-2016 and you're right he was about 5'8 160 put up roughly 130 points both years and displayed all kinds of elite skill but struggled and still does when the D was played tighter. Just loooked it up because my memory was foggy. 

2016 Garland 2ppg player 128pts in 62 games reg season. In 17 playoff games put up 15 points with only 1 PPG

I remember taking an interest in Garland because I love a good underdog story. 

Benson to me has oodles of skill and does drive his line he battles hard but in my opinion feasts in run and gun and scramble scenarios but struggles in tight checking games that are played with more structure. This is quite normal and it's absolutely something he can overcome. 

I'm just drawing the parallell because I started the year really high on Benson he showed me all the things right away I love to see. Maybe I'm just looking for fault where there is nothing to be worried about or maybe there is something more there. Honestly though if we get a 60 point 5v5 2way player with 11oa thats not terible. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garlsnd is closer to 5’5” than he is to 5’9”. He’s tiny. He has short legs too. Too small. Dumperoo him if we can. 

Ok Alf. 

Personally I hope Garland goes to a big strong team like Dallas and puts up PPG and lifts a cup with his stubby little legs. He's overcome so much and worked so hard to get where he is and I have a huge amount of respect for him.   

• Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm more referring to Moncton Wildcat Garland in cica 2014-2016 and you're right he was about 5'8 160 put up roughly 130 points both years and displayed all kinds of elite skill but struggled and still does when the D was played tighter. Just loooked it up because my memory was foggy. 

2016 Garland 2ppg player 128pts in 62 games reg season. In 17 playoff games put up 15 points with only 1 PPG

I remember taking an interest in Garland because I love a good underdog story. 

Benson to me has oodles of skill and does drive his line he battles hard but in my opinion feasts in run and gun and scramble scenarios but struggles in tight checking games that are played with more structure. This is quite normal and it's absolutely something he can overcome. 

I'm just drawing the parallell because I started the year really high on Benson he showed me all the things right away I love to see. Maybe I'm just looking for fault where there is nothing to be worried about or maybe there is something more there. Honestly though if we get a 60 point 5v5 2way player with 11oa thats not terible. 

If one person states something you listen, if 2, 3, 4, 5 people say the same thing then surely what they are saying must be taken seriously.

https://thehockeywriters.com/zach-benson-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

In the 9 mock crafts listed in the above article he is listed at 5 in 5 of them, 6th in 2 , 7 in 1 and 9th in 1.

• Cheers 1