The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

I really can't see them trading away or down the 11th after trading away a first and second rounder already this year but i do see them trading up into the second with picks and or players 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Apparently we are going to trade our first every year. :frantic:

Trading an elephant for a first and then using that first to get an elite, young player is good. But we shouldn’t do a Benning and trade our own first (top 12) for an old, over paid, piece of craperolla. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Apparently we are going to trade our first every year. :frantic:

Every year the trade up / trade down is a hot piece of speculation around the league but it rarely happens. 

The deal with Chicago only makes sense from a cap bind position - and even then I wouldn’t do it to just shed cap.  

I’d want the cap dump AND a 2nd.  And even then I think I’d be happier with the 11OA… but that’s also a pretty nice deal (and probably unlikely Chicago goes for it, even if our “cap dumps” can actually play.)

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

11oa is gonna get us someone that drops out of the top 7-8

which will be a player who would prob go #2-4 in a normal draft year 

We gotta keep the pick, draft BPA 

then use our 3rds/4ths to load up on defensemen 

I agree with this.  I also doubt we go D in the first round.  It’s going to be Dvorsky or Benson. Maybe Leonard.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not a big fan of taking a chance that your guy "may" be there. I have to agree with @hammertime on this one. If you want a guy take him. Dropping down and missing out would be stupid just for an extra pick.

I am normally of that conviction as well, but if the players you have on you list are more or less in a group together, and you look like you may get one in that group at 15 or 19, why not take the added pick?

In the post I responded to the scout thought one of Simashev, Willander or Danielson would be available at 19. 
if that was the case and our scouts have them around the same place, why not pick one of them. 
i agree, if you think there are a clear line, then you pick at 11. 
There is also the incentive of getting a bit of cap relief unless they have another plan?

Edited by spook007

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

I am normally of that conviction as well, but if the players you have on you list are more or less in a group together, and you look like you may get one in that group at 15 or 19, why not take the added pick?

In the post I responded to the scout thought one of Simashev, Willander or Danielson would be available at 19. 
if that was the case and our scouts have them around the same place, why not pick one of them. 
i agree, if you think there are a clear line, then you pick at 11. 

Someone’s gonna fall out of the top 6-7 and that’s our guy 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well Alf hopes the draft doesn’t fall this way. Don’t want Reinbacher. Much rather get ASP. 

Won't happen Dvorsky won't get pass us

Edited by spook007
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't think so, I think the top 12-13 is pretty obvious and there's a clear division between those 12-13 and say 18-19.  Picking at #11, theyre going to get an almost surefire top 6 fwd or top 4 d.  You can't say that at #19.......I know what I want to see

I know, what I want to see too, but tbh the options are starting to look plenty fold and there are good things to be said about lots of the picks available. 
The post I responded to said that in the named scenario we would be able to pick one of Simashev, Wilander, Danielson or Perrault. 

By all means there is a good chance they will be top 6 players or top 4 D, all while adding a 2nd and or some cap relief?

I also see you've changed your stance at the 11th pick. You were adament you wouldn't pick a D man, but I see you have 2 D together with Moore as your preferred pick at 11 now...

In the end if they have a clear list of the first 11, they won't trade down, but pick the lowest on their list, once its their turn, just as they did last year with Lekkerimaki. 

• There it is 1

17 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Someone’s gonna fall out of the top 6-7 and that’s our guy 

Yep, I think so too...

They'll have their list of  the 11 best players, and whom ever lowest available on that list, when they pick, is who they will take...

Just as they did with Lekkerimaki. 

• Like 1

Wood & Buffalo seems like a match made in heaven. I can see Wood becoming the same type of player like Tage Thompson. Buffalo needs to be very patient with Wood's development because it might take more time than with other prospects. Thompson had his NHL breakthrough at the age of 24.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Probably the most accurate mock I've seen to date: 

Wow pretty good mock draft, us taking Willander over ASP is interesting. Button thinks ASP is one of the top-3 skaters in the draft, he's obviously massively over-hyped ASP but seeing where those 3 go will be interesting. Maybe Allvin likes Willander more as a shutdown guy if we already have a solid puck mover? Reinbacher is going a bit too high there for my liking but I think they're all pretty spot on.

My mock draft based on the information I have gathered on social media after the combine:

1. Bedard

2. Fantili

3. Carlsson

4. Smith

5. Reinbacher

6. Michkov

7. Leonard

8. Dvorsky

9. Moore

10. Barlow

San Jose is leaning towards Will Smith at #4. Kent Hughes knows the smith family and has coached Will Smith in Boston. He would love Smith at #5 but I think San Jose throws a wrench in Hab's plans to draft smith. Arziona has two high first round picks and can afford to wait a little bit longer for Michkov to arrive in the NHL. Leonard is exactyl the type of player Philly loves: plays with grit, speed, skill and scoring touch. Leonard is for me JT Miller 2.0 without Miller's perks. Washington desperately needs a center and will therefore go with Dvorsky.  I expect Detroit to draft a center and Moore would be a good fit for them.

4 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Benson 5th overall, Simashev as the best defenceman at 8OA, Musty and Perron 11 and 12 OA ahead of Dvorsky and Reinbacher.

I get that Benson could go really high or really low but there's a lot of questionable takes in the 8-15OA spot but we'll see how it pans out...

7 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

All this talk of ASP and Willander, I think Theo Lindstein is getting a little lost in the mix here. He was a 52% corsi on an SHL team that had to play for relegation. Unlike Willander or ASP he played the full season in SHL. Played regular minutes and was among his team's ATOI leaders in the relegation matches. He also showed at the international tournaments throughout the year that he has a nose for creating offense with his shot from the blueline.

Watching the 3 of them at the WJC, I thought Allvin and our European scouts would be all over them. I could completely understand trading down if we can somehow get two late firsts. Not just these guys but there's also Strbak who was a two-way beast, and then there's guys like Simashev who is flying under the radar, and lesser guys like Gulyayev, Dragicevic, Bonk, Allen etc. There's a lot of semi-decent defenceman who will go in the late first/early 2nd.

Makes you wonder - would Detroit have just take the 11OA straight up for Hronek and left us with the NYI pick and our 2nd - we could have walked away with one of Willander/Strbak and Lindstein?

Or do we make a trade with one of these teams at the draft:

- 11OA to CHI for 19 OA + 35 OA

- 11OA to STL for 25 OA + 29 OA

- 11OA TO MTL for 31 OA + 37 OA + surely another later pick

It's a big ballsy move if PA trades down but I'd understand it if we have no one juicy to take at 11OA. We really need a future world-class talent at 11OA, otherwise we might as well roll the dice on two very solid defencemen.

• Cheers 1