The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

but his brain and heart are oversized :ph34r:

“Aaaa I can’t believe we passed on Cole caufield” 

“bensons too small, pass”

if he’s there we gotta take him and be thankful we have a potential Brayden point 2.0

Edited by eeeeergh
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

“Aaaa I can’t believe we passed on Cole caufield” 

“bensons too small, pass”

if he’s there we gotta take him and be thankful we have a potential Brayden point 2.0

I honestly don't think Benson falls past Detroit. It would be a crime in we didn't take him and he's still available. It's not like we're stocked with young talent on LW either. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I honestly don't think Benson falls past Detroit. It would be a crime in we didn't take him and he's still available. It's not like we're stocked with young talent on LW either. 

The skill level in a few years with a possible line of "Benson - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki" would be nuts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The skill level in a few years with a possible line of "Benson - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki" would be nuts. 

ADD miller and Hughes ......Walla Top Power play 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Now there's a one dimensional player. All he does is score goals lol.

Very one dimensional 

near 50 goal pace at age 22 though 

nothing wrong with a 1 dimensional winger, just give him some decent line mates 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I think that’s the reality with supremely skilled guys that are sorta 1 dimensional 

though I’d say that description applied to lekerimakki rather than Benson 

Lekerimakki is the best pure goal scorer from the 2022 draft but that’s all he does. Everything else is average or below, and needs a lot of work. 

I like that GMPA is taking the high risk move and went for a guy that will either score 30-40 goals, or wash out entirely. 

Benson has a higher chance of hitting his ceiling because aside from his playmaking, he’s also got a deadly shot, insane compete level, and is a pretty slick skater. He has more elite tools than Lekerimakki does.

Benson is getting punished on some draft boards for being undersized, but investing in undersized guys now makes a ton of sense given where the average size of nhl players is trending toward 

If we are going for Benson based on this criteria. I'm a bigger fan of Brindley or Heidt. They also display that high skill compete combo but get work done on the inside. I know I now 80% of the game is played within 5 feet of the boards or whatever that quote is....... But it's the elite guys who get work done in the middle. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

If we are going for Benson based on this criteria. I'm a bigger fan of Brindley or Heidt. They also display that high skill compete combo but get work done on the inside. I know I now 80% of the game is played within 5 feet of the boards or whatever that quote is....... But it's the elite guys who get work done in the middle. 

It’s absurd how stacked this draft is 

I really hope we can secure a 2nd rounder, there’s gonna be some top talent that falls into there 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

Benson is getting punished on some draft boards for being undersized, but investing in undersized guys now makes a ton of sense given where the average size of nhl players is trending toward 

Contrary to what teams in this years playoffs or any other year for that matter. what tochett covets in players is grit size and aggression.see joshua and how he’s being deployed. 4th line player being tested on the 1st line albeit not successful.but tried non the less   He’ll probably still be 4th line but it’s obvious their evaluating him for other usage. Reupping digiseppe’s contract tells me their trying to address the size and grit void they already have from within. But  sure let’s go with undersized players. This makes absolutely NO SENSE. At all!!

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nurnge said:

Don't disagree with you but about Brule . I do remember Doug Mclean saying on CBC one night That Columbus did everything wrong with how they managed Brule and one of his biggest hockey regrets . That it was their fault as much as anything why he didn't develop 

Ya they 100% screwed him expecting he'd be the guy Nash needed but it destroyed him :( 

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

if he’s there we gotta take him and be hopeful we don't have a potential Jordan Schroeder 2.0

Just...for the flip side.  You know

The main issue with Benson, is that if he doesn't hit his ceiling.  There's a significant chance he is not in the NHL.  Where as a guy like Wood, Danielson, etc if they hit their average, they'll be serviceable bodies.

benson is literally top 6 or bust imo and that's what worries me

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Nurnge said:

Don't disagree with you but about Brule . I do remember Doug Mclean saying on CBC one night That Columbus did everything wrong with how they managed Brule and one of his biggest hockey regrets . That it was their fault as much as anything why he didn't develop 

Wasn't there also something about his father screwing him about with his money too?

12 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Character is the decisive trait that separates winners and losers. Just look at last season's performance from this Canucks team. The players on the ice were outplayed on the ice because they didn't put in the necessary effort night in and night out. Most of the loses can be attributed to the lack of character of some players. Character is the decisive trait that determines how players deal with adversity: how they come back after injuries, how they respond when things don't go well on the ice, how they manage to get through scoring droughts. Character is the decisive for being a winner.

Director of NHL central scouting Dan Marr pointed out the importance of the "C's": character and consistency. Don Jackson who won a Stanley Cup with the Oilers being a teammate of Wayne Gretzky is arguably the most successful headcoach in Europe. He won several national championships with teams in Austria and Germany (Berlin & Munich). He won the national championship in Germany with Munich some weeks ago and decided to retire thereafter. Once asked about his recipe for sucess he told the media that he made character a priority when adding players to the team.

The importance of character can't be overstated. I really don't care about the Canucks because Allvin is as worse as Jim Benning as a General Manager. This team isn't going anywhere in the near future because of the personnel in the front office and their poor decision making. This franchise will be irrelevant for the next 10 years at least. I vividly recall Francesco Aqulliini's promise to the fanbase after Benning was fired: "We'll get it right". It's apparent that he hasn't gotten it right with the hiring of Bruce Boudreau, Patrick Allvin and Jim Rutherford. There's is nothing you can do about it. It is what it is.

This is so true... when the chips are down, is when you show your true character... 

Its easy to be good, when everything goes your way, but its when the going get tough and you run out of luck, you show, what you are really made of...

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

1 to Tyson Barrie, but others to Rasmus Dahlin or Erik Karlsson... that is not really bad company...

I too harbour concerns about him defensively though...

Rathbone has been earmarked like forever for a spot on the Canucks because of his offensive abilities but his defense has held him back... Myers is another one that springs to mind... 

I also think ASP would be a risky pick, but it could be well worth it...

I just wonder, when are Canucks going to get bigger and tougher to play against? We seem to be getting thinner and and smaller each year... 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I’ve been seeing Wood on a lot of peoples lists, especially after his recent U18 tournament. For those that have him in the top 10, what do you see in him that you don’t see in Musty? I think Musty is getting a little overlooked here, and if you want a forward with some size, he is the better option. Wood is reminding me a lot of Nick Ritchie, who I wasn’t particularly high on in his draft yr either.

For the record, I’m not really advocating about taking Musty at 11, but there has been chatter about trading down depending on who’s available, and I’m not as opposed to that depending on who’s left. I don’t think a combo of Musty + a D in the second is all that bad of an option.

If you aren’t familiar with Musty, I think this video highlights a lot of his strengths, and not just his goals and assists. He make a lot of decent defensive plays as well, and while his skating isn’t exactly a strength, I think it makes him a better option than Wood. His vision is excellent, and I think he makes a lot of pro style quick touches on the puck, but with the ability to slow the play down with an extra pass as well. If he continues to work on his pace of play, and begins to use his size as more of a strength, I think he could become a very nice player down the road. His video is also from a few months back, so missing some of his late season surge where he finished quite strong after an early season coaching change.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I agree on that. Very intriguing. Same thing with But to some extent. For whatever reason he's not ranked that high on most lists. To be honest the top 50 guys look like they could all end up top 10 lol. I suppose I shouldn't really care who we draft as I really don't know anything. I guess you have to draw a line somewhere though. For me it's around those top 15. My spidey sense is telling me it would be an error in judgement to slip to 19 based on the research I've done but that advice probably isn't even worth 2 squares of tee pee. :P

I mean if we end up with Musty, and Bonk, I will cheer them on faithfully and embrace it. Maybe two is better than one. I really like Bonk. He looks like he was really coming on late and he's got the good bloodlines too. At the same time our scouts have to be able to draft a better player at 11 than 19 ... don't they? :mellow:

Multiple Scouts have already said this draft will have a few players drafted outside of the top 10/15 that end up better and it’s just the nature of a draft but this draft is especially deep with first round talent. 

i truly feel we could do very well if we traded down this year but I’m very comfortable keeping 11 and taking our BPA too regardless of what we do I’ll be good!

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

I’ve been seeing Wood on a lot of peoples lists, especially after his recent U18 tournament. For those that have him in the top 10, what do you see in him that you don’t see in Musty? I think Musty is getting a little overlooked here, and if you want a forward with some size, he is the better option. Wood is reminding me a lot of Nick Ritchie, who I wasn’t particularly high on in his draft yr either.

For the record, I’m not really advocating about taking Musty at 11, but there has been chatter about trading down depending on who’s available, and I’m not as opposed to that depending on who’s left. I don’t think a combo of Musty + a D in the second is all that bad of an option.

If you aren’t familiar with Musty, I think this video highlights a lot of his strengths, and not just his goals and assists. He make a lot of decent defensive plays as well, and while his skating isn’t exactly a strength, I think it makes him a better option than Wood. His vision is excellent, and I think he makes a lot of pro style quick touches on the puck, but with the ability to slow the play down with an extra pass as well. If he continues to work on his pace of play, and begins to use his size as more of a strength, I think he could become a very nice player down the road. His video is also from a few months back, so missing some of his late season surge where he finished quite strong after an early season coaching change.

Thanks, great little video. This is a very likable player. One thing with Wood is his shot and making something out of nothing is outstanding.

25 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Multiple Scouts have already said this draft will have a few players drafted outside of the top 10/15 that end up better and it’s just the nature of a draft but this draft is especially deep with first round talent. 

i truly feel we could do very well if we traded down this year but I’m very comfortable keeping 11 and taking our BPA too regardless of what we do I’ll be good!

Mercy, mercy ... there's too many good players. :frantic: Haha. Sure is fun studying up on these guys.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just...for the flip side.  You know

The main issue with Benson, is that if he doesn't hit his ceiling.  There's a significant chance he is not in the NHL.  Where as a guy like Wood, Danielson, etc if they hit their average, they'll be serviceable bodies.

benson is literally top 6 or bust imo and that's what worries me

The thing is, in cap era, serviceable bodies are always available for free in UFA or via trade from teams that need to unload salary 

Smith is a great bottom pair defenseman and Boston couldn’t even unload him, they had to bury him in the minors 

thats why I think it doesn’t make sense to weight players higher b/c they have 3rd/4th line floors, if their ceiling is lower. Take the high risk bet, if your pick doesn’t pan out, it isn’t really any worse than a pick that ends up flooring at 3/4th liner/bottom pair.

• Like 1