The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

5 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

I’m curious if they end up liking a couple players and ones around with a potential Miller trade does that make them feel more comfortable with a 1st round pick as part of the return? 

We all know the Rumours with Miller to

Pittsburgh, and I know management has changed over but being confident in your scouting and giving yourself some Cap space could be a possibility. 

Who do you see being our 2C next season if they trade Miller?

Just to build off of my post earlier, given some of the talk of tiers, here is how things could look based on average rankings:

Could contain: Chart

This is extremely crude and I did this really quickly, but lighter shades of the same color are basically me saying maybe they could fit with the rest of the tier but they seem to maybe be half a tier lower. 

I was quite surprised at how many recent rankings have Reinbacher in the 20s. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Its funny. Cause in some ways you are really decribing Alex Ferguson, the former manager of Aberdeen and Manchester Utd. there....

Both at Aberdeen and Utd he travelled up and down the country on many a night during the week watching players to see if he could find players that would fit into his plans. 
He spoke to families, teachers at schools/local grass root clubs etc and build a huge network of contacts and scouts both places. 
One of the first things he did both places, was to revamp and extend the scouting systems as he felt not enough local talent was being unearthed...

I'm not sure about him taking in players, who couldn't make it at other clubs, but for many years both sides had a constant influx of young kids into their youth set up and from there into their team. 
I doubt you'll find managers in the modern game of top clubs doing the same travelling around on cold mondays and Tuesday nights to watch young players and talk to families/coaches/teachers and scouts, and then be the first in at the training ground 6am every day, and the last to leave... 

His wife must have been made of stern stuff.... 

I often find it a little odd, that Canucks don't seem able to find some rough diamonds in their own B. C. backyard... the league is full of players that were drafted outside the 1st round from B. C. 

We have good scouts in Sweden to find us players, but surely the network should be extended locally. 
Canadian hockey is known for the style of hockey, that most of us yarn to see. In your face, fast and gritty... I don't get, how we can't find these players...

Anyway that turned into a long rant..

Yes it would be great, if we had a coach able to turn average players into stars or get good players going again... (OEL)... :rolleyes:

It's not so much that he turns them into stars, he just builds winning teams.

With the salary cap the successful teams lose players who get big contracts at other clubs.

Craig will then bring in players who haven't had the success at their previous clubs and get them to buy into his system, get the best out of them.

One guy he brought in this year William Warbrick played AFL in NZ as a junior then went to rugby Union, 7's, never played rugby league before in his life until last year when he played in our seconds team.

This year he has played every senior game scoring a bunch of tries, kids a gun.

Over the last 20 years I have lost track of the players like this he has brought into the storm.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Just to build off of my post earlier, given some of the talk of tiers, here is how things could look based on average rankings:

Could contain: Chart

This is extremely crude and I did this really quickly, but lighter shades of the same color are basically me saying maybe they could fit with the rest of the tier but they seem to maybe be half a tier lower. 

I was quite surprised at how many recent rankings have Reinbacher in the 20s. 

I really agree with these tiers, it's hard to compare the 3 top defencemen and see where they sit - sounds like Button is putting ASP in the Smith/Benson tier but I agree with you there, and as we've said Willander is massively hyped right now for some reason (Button has him going 8OA lol). I'd just argue Dvorsky is a bit more impactful than the two American kids Moore and Leonard but they're all very similar players in the same group for sure. Think there's certainly lots of duo/trio groups which we'll look back at 5 years from now and see who picked the right one from the right tier.

33 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

It's not so much that he turns them into stars, he just builds winning teams.

With the salary cap the successful teams lose players who get big contracts at other clubs.

Craig will then bring in players who haven't had the success at their previous clubs and get them to buy into his system, get the best out of them.

One guy he brought in this year William Warbrick played AFL in NZ as a junior then went to rugby Union, 7's, never played rugby league before in his life until last year when he played in our seconds team.

This year he has played every senior game scoring a bunch of tries, kids a gun.

Over the last 20 years I have lost track of the players like this he has brought into the storm.

Yes in cap times like these, being able to find average players and mould them into make a winning side is the holy grail.

You could say that of Sir Alex Ferguson as well... 

He kept building winning team after team... Basically built 3 winning teams at United.

But the fact he did it with a lot of home grown talent, or young talent in general is the impressive part.

I think watching Vegas as well Seattle emphasises the importance of being able to use and mould average, maybe slightly above average player and 'failures' into winning sides...

• There it is 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Button has ASP at 5, Willander at 8OA, Reinbacher not in the top 10, Sale 7th as well. All over the shop, he really sees something in these Swedish defencemen. Willander is a risky pick that high.

ASP is way more of a boom or bust. I’d feel nervous picking him that high. Willander you can justify cause he’s an all situations dman and he’s committed to school for the next couple years where he most certainly will learn the North American game. Way more space to dangle and skate on the euro rinks which can make some players look a lot better than they are. Time will tell. Any of the 4 dmen I would be happy with. 

it’s fun to speculate but at the end we know nothing and barely have access to a fraction of the footage and resources professional scouts do. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Quoting myself here because I find it odd that nobody else seems to have any net minders in the first round.

Why is that?

Ignorance. At least on my part. I don't know enough about scouting the position. I really like Hrabal and Urban but I honestly wouldn't know where to rank them vs other players. Ian Clarke always get's a goalie pick in the 3rd/4th. Maybe Urban's there?

37 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

ASP is way more of a boom or bust. I’d feel nervous picking him that high. Willander you can justify cause he’s an all situations dman and he’s committed to school for the next couple years where he most certainly will learn the North American game. Way more space to dangle and skate on the euro rinks which can make some players look a lot better than they are. Time will tell. Any of the 4 dmen I would be happy with. 

it’s fun to speculate but at the end we know nothing and barely have access to a fraction of the footage and resources professional scouts do. 

I don't know if I'd say that, ASP isn't a pure offensive dynamo like say, Adam Boqvist was. He can defend too, he's just a little smaller than others and isnt going to be as physical.

And as much as he is a fantastic skater, I don't know that he's going to be an elite OFD either points-wise.

3 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Flyers aren’t dumbos now they have Brierre. They got decent return for the locker room trouble Provorov. If Michkov or Benson are available at their pick Brierre will select them.

Alf’s empties are chiming Benson will fall to us. With him we get a guy, who would have been 1OA in last year’s draft. He’s a future high compete, ppg, super smart, 200 foot Centre. He’s a guy who will push Miller to wing. He’s going to be brilliant. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Flyers aren’t dumbos now they have Brierre. They got decent return for the locker room trouble Provorov. If Michkov or Benson are available at their pick Brierre will select them.

Leonard will most likely be available unless the coyotes pick him . Leonard seems like a Flyer

1 minute ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Leonard will most likely be available unless the coyotes pick him . Leonard seems like a Flyer

Mistake passing on elite skill that’s combined with high compete and character. Brierre won’t make that kind of mistake. Hope he does, of course. Want the better players to fall to us. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf’s empties are chiming Benson will fall to us. With him we get a guy, who would have been 1OA in last year’s draft. He’s a future high compete, ppg, super smart, 200 foot Centre. He’s a guy who will push Miller to wing. He’s going to be brilliant. 

I like the optimism Alf, I would be very excited if Benson fell to the Canucks. Elite skill and smarts.

With Willander gaining traction, and even Simashev, and other teams interested in Reinbacher and ASP, it's really possible that one of the top forwards drops. 

So, what if Willander and Benson are there at #11? I have a feeling Allvin would go with Willy, and then the negative feedback from fans.

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

willander is a wildcard Has played 2 games in the swedish SHL against man and is getting lots of hype, but those who really do a deep dive on him realize the areas of weaknesses. It's like always: some people see the light and others can't see the light.

What do u see as his areas of weakness?

8 hours ago, Devron said:

Honestly just take the best defencemen possible. Or what they view the best Dman when it’s time to draft. I just can’t get excited for another forward these days but maybe my tune will change 

They need C much more, imo.  Raty is, really, the only legit, young C prospect in their system.  They've got dmen, but not C

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Could easily be the case... or maybe they wanted to see, if trading down would be worth it...

I'm sure if one of the top 4 or 5 fell, they'd care less about the costs of a steak or two...::D

Maybe they should take them to the strip club. Tell them every city has a secret Vegas. B)

• Haha 1