The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Bo Horvat reincarnate ... very similar in how Danielson always attacks single mindedly straight forward to the net, and has that one move to get through defenders. His passes tend to work a little better than Bo's when a teammate is able to get into the play.

Bryce Barker and Owen Beck were fantastic 3C picks last year. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

9 hours ago, Seannnp said:

in a heartbeat 

Simashev or Willander may likely still be available at 17. Maybe even Honzek who is probably my favorite player in the draft after Fantili and Smith

I'd bet none of them are available at #17, maybe Simashev due to Russian factor but even then it feels like 16 teams would be crazy to pass on him. 

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

to CBJ - Miller, Podkolzin and #11

to VAN - #3 (Carlsson)

I had this exact thought after I heard Allvin mention it. CBJ is really the only target I could see as a trade up scenario as they want to compete, but even then.. giving up Fantilli or Carlsson... Decent value in that package but I have a hard time seeing it. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I’m really curious who the Canucks covet because this is a few times now that they’ve mentioned hopefully trading up. I’m sure Allvin loves Carlsson but I don’t think he’s seriously considering giving up the assets required to move into a top three spot. More realistically we would move up a few spots to the 7-10 range? There’s so many good players in the top of this draft that it aches my mind to try to figure out who they’re targeting there. 

So, is Danielson another case of big kid in a league of teens?   
Yes he has dangles galore, but his head is down for most of them.  
That’s a recipe for a short career in the NHL.  
Is he going to be able to pull those moves against 6’3 220lbs, who doesn’t let you near the net?   

I don’t know these answers, but his highlight videos are awesome. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Looks like a Horvat clone with way better skating and a better shot at that age.

Matt Zator of THW in a mock draft had the Canucks pick Danielson and compared him to Horvat but I think he has better speed than Bo when he was drafted.  Great hands, great at faceoffs, great leader. 

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

Is he going to be able to pull those moves against 6’3 220lbs, who doesn’t let you near the net?   

Yup. Got some Slafkkski, I’m bigger, going on. Don’t waste the pick. 

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looking forward to the Islanders visiting the Canucks next season. Will Horvat get BOO'd? 

Excited at the idea of the Canucks moving up to get the player they want, a guy they're obviously sold on and believe in. Really curious who that is. I would imagine it's Carlsson, but it would be very expensive to trade up from #11 to #3. What if Carlsson goes #2? I guess the Canucks get Fantilli? They could sure use a C of that caliber. 

Someone mentioned a Demko trade to CBJ. Very intriguing! It's quite possible Demmer would like going to the Jackets to play with Gaudreau and that young group coming up. 

Getting pumped for this Draft, Canucks could make a splash. 

If they move up I don't think it will be to be to get into the top 3, i don't know if they have the assets. I think they are eyeing Reinbacher so moving up to say 6 or 7 would be more realistic.  But that won't be cheap either.  I just find it rich that they're thinking about this when all they had to do was not play Hughes 30 mins every game and maybe play Demko a few less games.  But that's all water under the bridge now and not worth crying about.  It is what it is. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

If they move up I don't think it will be to be to get into the top 3, i don't know if they have the assets. I think they are eyeing Reinbacher so moving up to say 6 or 7 would be more realistic.  But that won't be cheap either.  I just find it rich that they're thinking about this when all they had to do was not play Hughes 30 mins every game and maybe

play Denko a few less games.  But that's all water under the bridge now and not worth crying about.  It is what it is. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I invite you to watch some tape on Dvorsky. 

45 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I don't think this is true at all. Danielson has playmaking chopps. Unfortunately that doesn't show up because he's surrounded by plumbers. If he were on WPG or KAM he would be a 100pt player. At this time apples to apples Danielson is in another league than Horvat. I clearly remember Horvats first training camp he was so slow he made Gaunce look like a burner. Hunter Shinkaruk was so much fun to watch playing pond hockey scoring at will with a big smile on his face.  

I will defer to you as I'am sure you have watched him far more than me. My comment is just on the highlight video where it's a lot of north south one against all comers. Kind of like Bo used to play. Well that's good to hear he is more of a playmaker. I did note when his teammates were caught up to him he made good passes.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I will defer to you as I'am sure you have watched him far more than me. My comment is just on the highlight video where it's a lot of north south one against all comers. Kind of like Bo used to play. Well that's good to hear he is more of a playmaker. I did note when his teammates were caught up to him he made good passes.

Fair enough It wasn't my intent to be argumentative. I havn't watched the vid to be fair. I can understand how some of these highlight vids can portray players in a less than genuine way. 

35 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Fair enough It wasn't my intent to be argumentative. I havn't watched the vid to be fair. I can understand how some of these highlight vids can portray players in a less than genuine way. 

It's all good. I appreciate the information. Check out the vid. It's got some great highlights and it is quite flattering showcasing his shooting, skating, and goal scoring. Do you have some footage that is more representative.

I will add Bo is not a horrible player either. A faster more defensively able Bo with better playmaking and shooting is not a bad projection either. Pretty similar stats ... one  played on a powerhouse the other a cellar dweller.

Bo

2011-12 London Knights OHL 64 11 19 30 8 27
2012-13 London Knights OHL 67 33 28 61 29 3
2013-14 London Knights OHL 54 30 44 74 36 20

Nate

2020-21 Brandon Wheat Kings WHL 24 3 12 15 8 1        
2021-22 Brandon Wheat Kings WHL 53 23 34 57 34 18
2022-23 Brandon Wheat Kings WHL 68 33 45 78 38 -12
Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 3

Willander and Danielson are my 2 picks who should be there. I’d be happy with either or at this point as they are both RHS Premium positions with Size, Skating and defensive ability. If we don’t get either there will be some great players on the board who fell and would probably be no brainer BPA at that point. 

6 more sleeps!!!

Poll among scouts who's the best defenceman in this year's draft. The outcome is that scouts view Reinbacher as the best defenceman by quite a margin. Reinbacher had 18 votes whereas Simashev got "only" 5 votes. I also like simashev, but you have to take the "russian factor" into consideration. Canucks fans have already experienced the Russian factor with the likes of Tryamkin and Kravtsov (not willing to put in the time and effort to make it in the NHL).

Bild

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Poll among scouts who's the best defenceman in this year's draft. The outcome is that scouts view Reinbacher as the best defenceman by quite a margin. Reinbacher had 18 votes whereas Simashev got "only" 5 votes. I also like simashev, but you have to take the "russian factor" into consideration. Canucks fans have already experienced the Russian factor with the likes of Tryamkin and Kravtsov (not willing to put in the time and effort to make it in the NHL).

Bild

There is a difference between having poor work ethic and being Russian. Neither of them wanted to put n the work to be in the NHL like a Jake Virtanen content to get by on their natural gifts. 

Simashev doesn't strike me as this type of player.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Finally Michkov is making his way to the United States to be present at the NHL Draft 2023 in Nashville. I guess he is going to have a very busy time with all the interviews scheduled with NHL teams shortly before the draft.

I wonder which teams have interviews with the primadonna. Could the Canucks be one of them?

After digging in deeper on this class I have to say I think it's been a little overrated publicly. Probably due to the top of the class & there being 4 potential #1 picks in weaker years. 

The top 15 is really good - and you could maybe extend that group by a few players - but once you get passed the early 20's (21/22/23) alot of the guys have major question marks or limited upside as far as being true 1st round talents imo.

You never know till later, there are some guys I like in that 1st/2nd round range, but I don't think this is 2003 or 2015. Decent year for goalies tho. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • There it is 1