The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

After digging in deeper on this class I have to say I think it's been overrated publicly. Probably due to the top of the class & there's being 4 potential #1 picks in weaker years. 

The top 15 is really good - and you could maybe extend that group by a few players - but once you get passed the early 20's (21/22/23) alot of the guys have major question marks or limited upside as far as being true 1st round talents.

You never know till later, there are some guys I like but I don't think this is 2003 or 2015. Decent year for goalies tho. 

Yup. 5-12 could see guys go all over the place. 5 is the worst spot to select in this draft. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. 5-12 could see guys go all over the place. 5 is the worst spot to select in this draft. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Not sure why you think it is so bad to get first choice of a very good group of prospects.

I agree more with Jock. With the Russian factor you might be getting a shot at Michkov. It'll be easy to look silly but your getting a chance at guys Michkov / Benson / Simashev I'd imagine.

And I would extend it beyond 12, guys like Honzek / Willander / Barlow / Wood / exc. could surprise & shake up the order.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Not sure why you think it is so bad to get first choice of a very good group of prospects.

So many great choices at #5, which I think would be a difficult one.

Who should the Canucks take at #5 if they had that pick?

Leonard

Michkov

Reinbacher

Dvorsky

Benson

or ?

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Because it’s Hughes and Gorton. Going back to the Raggedy Andys their picks in the top 10 have been bustaroos. 

• Cheers 1

A late round pick rhd

Matteo Mann 6'6 220

One impressive attribute about Mann is how smart he is on the ice. Not only can he disturb the play with a physical hit, but he also shows that he can use his long reach to knock the puck off the opposition’s stick on a consistent basis. He also understands that his role is to be an anchor on his pairing, meaning he is rarely caught pinching down the boards and is more often than not in a good position to defend breakouts.

This past season, Mann was invited to the Top Prospect Game, where he skated beside Jordan Tourigny of the Shawinigan Cataractes on Team Red. He finished the game with two shots on goal and was able to show just how strong he was, winning board battles and clearing out the front of the net during the game. Overall, he played well, showing off to the scouts and everyone in attendance that he can shut down some of the best prospects from this upcoming draft.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Because it’s Hughes and Gorton. Going back to the Raggedy Andys their picks in the top 10 have been bustaroos. 

That has nothing to do with where they pic but the quality of their scouting.  Picking higher isn't going to fix that, just mitigates the disappointment somewhat.

Plus you are too quick to write off young players that aren't on the Canucks.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So many great choices at #5, which I think would be a difficult one.

Who should the Canucks take at #5 if they had that pick?

Leonard

Michkov

Reinbacher

Dvorsky

Benson

or ?

Not a scout but I roll the dice with this high a pick.  One winger I would be happy with in this draft, Michkov.

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That has nothing to do with where they pic but the quality of their scouting.  Picking higher isn't going to fix that, just mitigates the disappointment somewhat.

Plus you are too quick to write off young players that aren't on the Canucks.

Not a scout but I roll the dice with this high a pick.  One winger I would be happy with in this draft, Michkov.

Swingin' for the fences!  Why not? Although, I'd probably lean more towards taking Benson, but if Michkov pans out and wants an NHL career, he could be amazing. 

7 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Poll among scouts who's the best defenceman in this year's draft. The outcome is that scouts view Reinbacher as the best defenceman by quite a margin. Reinbacher had 18 votes whereas Simashev got "only" 5 votes. I also like simashev, but you have to take the "russian factor" into consideration. Canucks fans have already experienced the Russian factor with the likes of Tryamkin and Kravtsov (not willing to put in the time and effort to make it in the NHL).

Bild

Possible ASP gets taken and Reinbacher drops to 8-10? Maybe Allvin is expecting as much and would explain his comments on moving up. 

First 4 are set from 1 through 4th OA

5-10 could be anyone but most likely Leonard and Dvorsky take 2 of those 5 spots. Michkov im hopeful goes to WAS at 8 and Benson at 9 to DET. 

Whats the cost of trading up one spot? Would STL take a defenseman over a center? Would they take ASP over Reinbacher? 

So many questions. So few answers. 

1. Bedard

2. Fantili

3. Carlsson

4. Smith

5. Leonard

6. Dvorsky

7. ASP

8. Michkov 

9. Benson

10. Danielsson 

Nahhh scratch that, would be surprised if the draft played out this way. Oh well, Willander, Danielsson, Moore, Wood, Simashev are still high quality picks. 

14 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Bo Horvat reincarnate ... very similar in how Danielson always attacks single mindedly straight forward to the net, and has that one move to get through defenders. His passes tend to work a little better than Bo's when a teammate is able to get into the play.

I disagree, the only comps I see between them at the same age is that they are C and most public scouting reports say 3C potential.

Bo wasn't a playmaker for us and he wasn't for the Knights. He was mostly a finisher.

He also wasn't a great skater in his draft year.

Nate does drive the net but he also makes space for his line mates by using his speed and size and makes great passing plays regularly. He plays to make space for his wingers an creates opportunities for lesser line mates regularly. And I think that should be really of note. Hi passes you say work better, and he has lesser line mates. It says a lot about how he elevates players around him in how he plays the game you know.

If you are comparing Bo in the NHL with his toe drag rushes sure I can see that but its not Nates only way of creating offence.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Poll among scouts who's the best defenceman in this year's draft. The outcome is that scouts view Reinbacher as the best defenceman by quite a margin. Reinbacher had 18 votes whereas Simashev got "only" 5 votes. I also like simashev, but you have to take the "russian factor" into consideration. Canucks fans have already experienced the Russian factor with the likes of Tryamkin and Kravtsov (not willing to put in the time and effort to make it in the NHL).

Bild

The Russian factor only relates to whether or not they can come over to play, but I think they have ways to sort that out.  Effort level has nothing to do with nationality.  We had Wellwood, Pouliot and Virtanen, which breaks your theory in just a couple seconds of thinking about it.  Reinbacher followed by Simashev may be really good targets for us if they fall to 11.

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Bild

How old is this list? I have to think alot of people have Willander over Sandin-Pellikka now. (Putting Simashev aside)

31 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This could be the guy Allvin is willing to trade up for, to make sure VAN gets him. I find it a bit interesting that Simashev was barely a 1st rounder and now he's being talked about as the possible best D in the draft. Watchung video of Simashev though, he dominates with his size and speed. 

24 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Hmm...

8. Reinbacher 

14. ASP 

19. Simashev

20. Willander

Simeshev and Willander are ranked 19th and 20th. I have a feeling they'll be off the board earlier than that. I'd be really happy if we get one of the two. 

For forwards, the one name I haven't seen much discussion about is Gabe Perreault and he's ranked 10th after Benson. Yager made top 15th so I guess he hasn't dropped as much as we think.

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Thanks to all the regular posters in this thread for their input.

I have my draft coming up Sunday Aussie time, gotta get up before 6.am !

While I have put a lot of time scouting myself, I bow my head to those who have way more experience than I have with hockey prospects, your input is much appreciated.

Good luck my friend! 

You will kick some ass out there. Take no prisoners, just great hockey players. :metal:

• Huggy Bear 1

49 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I disagree, the only comps I see between them at the same age is that they are C and most public scouting reports say 3C potential.

Bo wasn't a playmaker for us and he wasn't for the Knights. He was mostly a finisher.

He also wasn't a great skater in his draft year.

Nate does drive the net but he also makes space for his line mates by using his speed and size and makes great passing plays regularly. He plays to make space for his wingers an creates opportunities for lesser line mates regularly. And I think that should be really of note. Hi passes you say work better, and he has lesser line mates. It says a lot about how he elevates players around him in how he plays the game you know.

If you are comparing Bo in the NHL with his toe drag rushes sure I can see that but its not Nates only way of creating offence.

I have been educated. :( I feel shame. :P

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1