The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

3rd Round pick.

Hoyt Stanley

Victoria Grizzlies, RHD, 6'3" 205 lbs. Going to Cornell University.

53 games, 4 goals 34 assists, 38 points, 30 PIM's.

Hope he's there when the Canucks get into the 3rd round.

We need a Stanley as a good luck charm. Oh he's a team-mate of Matthew Wood.

Nice to have team-mates together?

Edited by Ghostsof1915

19 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

3rd Round pick.

Hoyt Stanley

Victoria Grizzlies, RHD, 6'3" 205 lbs. Going to Cornell University.

53 games, 4 goals 34 assists, 38 points, 30 PIM's.

Hope he's there when the Canucks get into the 3rd round.

We need a Stanley as a good luck charm. Oh he's a team-mate of Matthew Wood.

Nice to have team-mates together?

I'm somehow okay if Canucks pick all d prospects with their late round picks lol. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Here's a theory...

The Canucks know buying out OEL will be easier b/c the worst years of the penalty will be the years Simashev steps into our top 4 on an ELC. 

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Adult, Male, Man, Formal Wear, Tie, Advertisement, Poster

If at the draft we trade down, collect a second and draft Shimashev that’s a huge win. We get the D man with the highest ceiling in this draft and add a second round picked prospect too. Allvin doing his 3D magic agsin like when he turned an elephant into three beauty players. 

• elephant 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If at the draft we trade down, collect a second and draft Shimashev that’s a huge win. We get the D man with the highest ceiling in this draft and add a second round picked prospect too. Allvin doing his 3D magic agsin like when he turned an elephant into three beauty players. 

Idk, depends if they get intel that a team behind us likes him. Arizona is right behind us, could use defenseman, and have time to wait.

I'd just step up & take him at 11. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow, Craig Button has Matthew Wood at 6.  No wonder the Canucks are looking to move up.  I think he is their guy.  Benson is out of the top 10.  I wonder what it would take to move up to 6 with Arizona?

Hronek and #11. :P

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, BCNate said:

I could see that happening.  Nashville has 15/46/47, we could likely get 15 and one of those. 

Wings have 17 and 41/42/43.  Not sure I'd go down that far, but I'd push for 17/41 and of the other 2nds or at worst their third.  Not sure I'd go that low though.

Detroit would be weird cause we traded that pick and I don’t think we’d go out of 15 from the sounds of it PA said the team has a top 15 but if 2/3 in surplus of 15 are there based off how the draft goes maybe! Would just be weird optics with Detroit hard for me to accept as possible 

Nashville seems most likely since they are the draft host too but who knows Arizona might be easier to trade with pick 12 for them 

7 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

We're all but guarenteed one of those guys if and when Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith and Leonard all go before the 11th pick. And with chatter about guys like Danielson and/or Honzek going in the top-10, then that would leave us a choice of at least two of them!

I really like Danielson too and she F we took Honzek I’d be supportive but not as excited as I am for the guys I listed or others even. But yea gonna be super exciting draft day after Bedard at 1. 

can’t wait to nerd out with y’all and watch it haha

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Button ranked Wood ahead of Benson and Dvorsky?

Not a rank his mock draft.

like when he ranked virtanen in the 40s or whatever but mocked to us cause he knew we were high on him

so maybe he’s got intel Zona is high on wood.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Here's a theory...

The Canucks know buying out OEL will be easier b/c the worst years of the penalty will be the years Simashev steps into our top 4 on an ELC. 

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Adult, Male, Man, Formal Wear, Tie, Advertisement, Poster

You won the day in my books here hahaha 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Not a rank his mock draft.

like when he ranked virtanen in the 40s or whatever but mocked to us cause he knew we were high on him

so maybe he’s got intel Zona is high on wood.

It's possible, but... between 2009 and 2019 while Darryl Plandowski was Tampa's head scout, out of 11 first round picks, 9 were directly out of the CHL. The only exceptions were Victor Hedman and Andre Vasilievsky. In the two drafts he's been in charge for Arizona they've had 4 first round picks - only Cooley was not CHL.

• Vintage 1

Am I the only one who sees a pathway where Reinbacher can fall out of the top-10? I don't think it's as improbable as people say.

CHI - Bedard

ANA - Fantilli/Carlsson

CLB - Carlsson/Smith/Fantilli

SJ - Smith/Carlsson/Fantilli/Mickov

MTL - Leonard/Michkov/Smith

ARI - Benson 

PHI - Leonard/Michkov/Dvorsky

WSH - Michkov/Dvorsky

DET - Dvorsky/Honzek/Danielson/ASP/Wood

STL - Honzek/Dvorsky/Danielson/ASP/Wood/Barlow

Thought this would be a fun exercise to do before bed. :bored:

59 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Am I the only one who sees a pathway where Reinbacher can fall out of the top-10? I don't think it's as improbable as people say.

CHI - Bedard

ANA - Fantilli/Carlsson

CLB - Carlsson/Smith/Fantilli

SJ - Smith/Carlsson/Fantilli/Mickov

MTL - Leonard/Michkov/Smith

ARI - Benson 

PHI - Leonard/Michkov/Dvorsky

WSH - Michkov/Dvorsky

DET - Dvorsky/Honzek/Danielson/ASP/Wood

STL - Honzek/Dvorsky/Danielson/ASP/Wood/Barlow

Thought this would be a fun exercise to do before bed. :bored:

Probably wishful thinking but tbh I don't know if he's going to end up the best D from this class anyways. He's very good, its not a knock, I just think a major advantage he has is being further ahead in his development atm. I don't see him being or becoming dynamic, he'll just be a good Top 4D at both ends. Willander can be that too but he's a better skater imo (and better puck handling/poise) and Simashev has the highest ceiling of anyone.

IMO anything could happen from 4-15 (maybe even starting @ 3) but I'd be surprised if Reinbacher isn't the first D taken, he has too much momentum.

52 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I’m thinking Benson will be available and either 

a) the Canucks select him 

b) Nashville is interested and pays up

to Van: 

15th overall 

47th overall 

Cal Foote

to Nash: 

11th Overall

Connor Garland 

If they have enough intel that Simashev is there @ 15 I'd probably do it.

If they don't I'd probably just make the pick - whether its Simashev or Benson or whomever.

Edited by Smashian Kassian