2023 NHL Entry Draft

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

If they love him that much 

good for them for sticking to their guns 

Button calls him a top pair D man

plus he is going to a great NCAA program 

I bet he is with VAN after 2 yrs in college 

I love the pick 

Looks like I’ll be watchin’ a bit of college hockey over the next few years. Quite enjoyed following Quinn at Michigan before he joined us.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Bonk went shortly after and isn't a massive liability in his own zone.

Offensive defensemen still have high value despite some deficiencies in their defensive game. They have a spot in the league so I understand why wings took ASP. I don't know anything about Bonk other than he's Radek Bonk's kid. I just know CDC barely discussed him because he's not on our radar at all. 

Anyway we can continue this debate, but I don't think we can make a clear verdict there lol

7 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Why are people comparing OJ with our pick.

Years later game changed and ours is a RHD.

No comparison different players.

Because Matthew Tkachuk was the best player available but Benning talked about how we were so weak in defensive prospects so he picked for the best defenceman available. Turned out very poorly for us. Now fast forward and Zach Benson who has the skill to have been picked in the top 6 of this draft class but we pass because again our defence prospect pool is weak. I can see why people are nervous for this pick because it’s hard to look at Willander and Benson and say Willander was the BPA.

• Vintage 1

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Because Matthew Tkachuk was the best player available but Benning talked about how we were so weak in defensive prospects so he picked for the best defenceman available. Turned out very poorly for us. Now fast forward and Zach Benson who has the skill to have been picked in the top 6 of this draft class but we pass because again our defence prospect pool is weak. I can see why people are nervous for this pick because it’s hard to look at Willander and Benson and say Willander was the BPA.

Again RHD right now are the hardest players to get and we got one so together yes bpa at that spot.

• There it is 1

10 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Jeez, you'd think an NHLer who's done many interviews would be able to remember a name.

Cut him some slack .  
It’s suggested he’s not 100% well right now. 
The only person that doesn’t make a mistake is the one that doesn’t do anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Barnstorm said:

Cut him some slack .  
It’s suggested he’s not 100% well right now. 
The only person that doesn’t make a mistake is the one that doesn’t do anything.

And yet, doing nothing seems to be a mistake as well... :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

To be fair it is hard to compare a D and a winger and judge who is BPA. It is easy to get exited about point totals and dynamic offense while solid defense is often overlooked when doing these BPA comparisons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

To be fair it is hard to compare a D and a winger and judge who is BPA. It is easy to get exited about point totals and dynamic offense while solid defense is often overlooked when doing these BPA comparisons. 

That draft was an interesting one. Tkachuk certainly had a number of detractors leading into it (Skating and attitude were concerns). I believe a good chunk of people were quite high on Nylander if I remember correctly.