The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

I had the same reaction about Allvin.  He did not give anything away about draft strategy. If you might make a trade on draft day you don't to reveal your preferences in advance. So, yeah, we might take a Russian. We might move up, (or we might move down). Allvin is just playing his cards close to his chest. I think the only real information we have about Canuck draft preferences is the dinner invitations with prospects: Danielson, Wood, Barlow, Benson, and Willander. Dinner openings are scarce enough that the team would not waste them on a deception exercise. So we know the Canucks are looking seriously at these five guys. 

This group suggests that the Canucks are thinking of moving down, not up, as it is quite possible that 3 or 4 of those guys are still on the board when the Canucks pick so they could down and still expect to get one of them. The only one of those guys who is a near consensus to go before 11 is Benson, so it is possible that the Canucks are thinking of moving up a few spots to take him.

I think you are bang on. I think Benson will be gone by 11. But I like 3 of the other players are better, Danielson, Wood and Willander. I think they will be there at 11 to 14. I can see them maybe trading back to 12 or 13 and still getting one of those 3 players. It's tough choice between those 3 but based on need I'd go with Willander I think he will be better than Reinbacher. After him it be Wood then Danielson. 

Edited by sims
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

It says a lot about him that he has vaulted into the top-10 of Bob's list. 

I always figured this would be a good player and likely will be a steal in this draft. You don't accumulate the totals he did without having some special talent.

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, canuckwings said:

I'm not sure if I would do this. That's too big of a drop from 11 to 19th. Plus Garland shouldn't be an added on here unless we view him as a cap dump. That shouldn't be the case anymore after the OEL buyout. 

If there's only team we should trade down with it would be Nashville at 15th in my opinion. 

I still don't think he has much value. If he was a positive asset someone should have taken him for free when he was being shopped, regardless of our bargaining power at the time. 

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I always figured this would be a good player and likely will be a steal in this draft. You don't accumulate the totals he did without having some special talent.

Reminds me of a Hodsgon/ Schroeder pick. Great tournament on a fantastic line. Probably is extremely skilled but I would still be weary. His skating is less than most players around him and he doesn’t have size fall back on. I personally would stay away. 

6 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Reminds me of a Hodsgon/ Schroeder pick. Great tournament on a fantastic line. Probably is extremely skilled but I would still be weary. His skating is less than most players around him and he doesn’t have size fall back on. I personally would stay away. 

Tournament? You mean season.

10 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Yeah I get that but to me he has done something a little more accomplished than those two. He's done it all year long again and again, not just a good WJ. I totally get what you're saying though. A little high for 11 but like I said I wouldn't be surprised when he goes 15-20 he ends up being a top 10 guy. I also would most likely take 3-5 guys before him at our pick.

44 minutes ago, droid56 said:

Interesting that these 10 scouts generally think Sandin Pellikka is better than either Willander or Simashev.

Some think Bob has used the same 10 or so scouts since the 90s so they may be old school scouts. The new school scouts put more importance on playing big rather than being big.  It's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog mentality.  Dvorsky for instance shouldn't be this high imo.  His Allsvenskin numbers don't justify his high ranking imo. 

Edited by Pure961089

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I get that but to me he has done something a little more accomplished than those two. He's done it all year long again and again, not just a good WJ. I totally get what you're saying though. A little high for 11 but like I said I wouldn't be surprised when he goes 15-20 he ends up being a top 10 guy. I also would most likely take 3-5 guys before him at our pick.

@Camel Toe Drag

I share concerns about Perreault. He's not the quickest player, when he gets caught flat footed with the puck or along the wall he's really prone to turnovers given his lack of size/strength to protect the puck imo. And there isn't much there in terms of physicality, grit, defensive upside. More of a soft skill guy.

Offensively his shot is solid but not great, don't really see him as a consistent distance scorer. Hes a really smart playmaking winger. But my thought is how many slower, relatively smaller, 1 dimensional playmaking wingers make it as elite players. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Some think Bob has used the same 10 or so scouts since the 90s so they may be old school scouts. The new school scouts put more importance on playing big rather than being big.  It's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog mentality.  Dvorsky for instance shouldn't be this high imo.  His Allsvenskin numbers don't justify his high ranking imo. 

But against his peers his numbers are very good tbf.

I'm not 100% sold on Dvorsky, but I get why he's high. Hes an aggressive 200ft player that could be a matchup 2C. His game probably works better on smaller ice aswell. It's just if the offense is going to be there to be a legitimate 2C 'on a winner'.

17 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Michkov, Simashev, Honzek... I like these names 

Wonder if Philly is the target for trading up, have to think Michkov won't get passed Washington at 8. 

And Philly is rumoured to be looking for a 2nd rounder ... We have two 3rds which are the equivalent of a mid 2nd rounder. 

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Here's the long awaited Bob McKenzie's final draft rankings.

From 11 to 15 is very interesting.  

Could contain: Electronics, Screen, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Monitor, Text, Scoreboard

Wood, Moore, and ASP make a lot of sense for our pick if no one drops to us. All have high ceilings if they reach them.

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Leonard, Simashev & Willander as the targets sounds perfect to me.

Can't imagine Leonard getting too us, leaving us with one of the Dmen (who I would prefer anyways tbh)

I believe we'll be walking away with a D man. We already have a pretty good C prospect in Raty. Is he ready yet, no he's not... but by the time he is, one would think he lands that 3C role. While we have some decent young D prospects like Woo, Johansson, Hirose and McWard, I'm not necessarily banking on either of those guys to become stalwarts who will play in our top-4.

edit: And I don't mean to be too bullish when I say that, but I think that this would make the most practical sense.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Michkov, Simashev, Honzek... I like these names 

Wonder if Philly is the target for trading up, have to think Michkov won't get passed Washington at 8. 

Would be a pretty crazy coup if we landed Michkov. I’ve been trying to keep my hopes down on him.  

If we deal with Philly and he’s gone, that would still leave Reinbacher, Leonard or Dvorsky on the board.  Would be a pretty nice swaperoo.

• Cheers 1