The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

The more I listen to pre-draft talks, the more I want to see Canucks draft Simashev. The Canucks hasn't had a player like this, but at the same time I'm torn because can't argue RHD is so hard to find. 

Willander and Simashev. 

...and just watch Canucks draft a winger not named Benson or Leonard lol.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, hammertime said:

Completely ignoring the state of our team and the state of the world. Removing all biases from the equation. I think the bpa's at our pick are.  

Gabe Perrealt and Eduard Sale when I listen to that clip where Alvin describes his vision of difference maker.

in this draft I think Perreault all day. When Alvin lays out what it lakes to make the next level. The guy who most exemplifies having the IQ and the skill to become our next franchise player. To me it's these 2 who have potential franchise IQ/Skill level fwd at our pick.  The rest of the top fwds I see being great top 6 players but not ppg+ franchise players. Where guys like Brindley Heidt Benson compete really hard it's easy to fall in love with those guys. How much more do they have to give? When I watch Perreault and Sale I feel like they are just scratching the surface of their potential. 

On D It's Simashev guys his size who skate like him are unicorns. Where Reinbacher I think is a great pick too and would be thrilled with either Reinbacher I think is closer to his final form (play is more polished) where Simashev has more room for growth as a player. Pick either of them and I will be a very happy Canucks fan. Willander I haven't seen enough of to project but Im more interested than I am with ASP Gulyayev 

PWF's can be the difference between competing in the playoffs and a quick exit. 

Daniil But, Wood, Honzek and Kasper Halttunen to me But leads the 4 of them by a wide margin with IMO Halttunen being closer to Wood than Wood to But. regardless if we do trade down it would be very wise to get one of these guys as having one of them in your top 6 can really change a team from pretender to contender. 

The C's there really only is one here at our pick that I would spend the 11th on and it's Danielson. There's really nobody close Heidt, Ritchie, Stramel would be great trade down options. I'm just not buying Yager or Moore as top 15 players and Dvorsky I must have the wrong tapes on. 

To me the most exciting prospects of having room to just blow the top off are Woods, Yager, and Sale. All completely prolific imo at getting the job done and make elite level NHL level plays out of nothing, especially when under pressure. Just sublime skill levels that scream NHL success to me. I would also agree on Perrault in that despite criticisms of size, and speed, he just gets the job done at an insanely high level. At that point sometimes it doesn't matter the shortcomings if they don't stop you from killing it at every level.

I'm at the point I just want this pick to hurry up and happen lol. Just hoping we don't do something completely out of whack and keep our pick at 11. I'm a little worried it's going to be traded.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hope so. Simashev is the best D in the draft. 

Simashev - Hronek could be the top pairing in a couple of years

The Canucks D would be soooooo good, Hughes would be in the 2nd pairing. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

To me the most exciting prospects of having room to just blow the top off are Woods, Yager, and Sale. All completely prolific imo at getting the job done and make elite level NHL level plays out of nothing, especially when under pressure. Just sublime skill levels that scream NHL success to me. I would also agree on Perrault in that despite criticisms of size, and speed, he just gets the job done at an insanely high level. At that point sometimes it doesn't matter the shortcomings if they don't stop you from killing it at every level.

I'm at the point I just want this pick to hurry up and happen lol. Just hoping we don't do something completely out of whack and keep our pick at 11. I'm a little worried it's going to be traded.

Wood is still my pick out of the forwards.  Unreal hockey sense and work ethic.  He's a special player and I think he'll end up being a top 5 in a redraft scenario in a few years.

• Cheers 3

I don’t think we are trading up and probably not trading down (hopefully). We are guaranteed to get a very good player at #11. Of more interest and having a sooner impact, is who they get in free agency and if they blow their new found cap space on over-paying and giving too much term to Soucy and Bjudstad. If it was Benning, he might give them each 6 million x 5 years with NM clauses. In terms of a trade, there hasn’t been much interest in Garland, but I’d be happy to trade Brock for more grit.

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm a little worried it's going to be traded.

This would completely deflate all of the excitement of the off season for me. Trading away the future to try and win now. They need this prospect.

I'd much rather run with Juulsen/Hirose/Brisebois/Wolanin, than trade away the 1st.

• Cheers 2

Got a feeling these are the first 10 picked:

1-5: Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith

6-10: Benson, Simashev, Dvorsky, Reinbacher, Leonard

11:  Wood, Danielson, Willander, Honzek, Barlow 

I'm hoping for one of the Top 10 players, but the Canucks are still going to have quite a few good players to choose from. Any of those 5 would be great too.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

do you would call trading down in order to offload a contract like Garland's as out of whack? For me trading down is the most likely scenario, because Canucks have been trying to move out Garland and/or Boeser for more than 1 year and weren't sucessful. This draft presents an excellent opportunity to get rid of Garland's contract by moving down a few spots and another team moving up a few spots. I guess there are some teams that want to move up, for example in the range 10-15. Canucks had talks with Minnesota around the trade deadline about Marco Rossi and picked up those talks over the last week. It's not a secret that Canucks are trying to add a young center to the team. The JT Miller trade with the Penguins fell through because the Penguins couldn't offer a young center. Canucks have also spoken to the L.A. Kings about Alex Turcotte. Prospects like Willander and Danielson would most likely still on the board at #19 (chicago pick).

22 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

do you would call trading down in order to offload a contract like Garland's as out of whack? For me trading down is the most likely scenario, because Canucks have been trying to move out Garland and/or Boeser for more than 1 year and weren't sucessful. This draft presents an excellent opportunity to get rid of Garland's contract by moving down a few spots and another team moving up a few spots. I guess there are some teams that want to move up, for example in the range 10-15. Canucks had talks with Minnesota around the trade deadline about Marco Rossi and picked up those talks over the last week. It's not a secret that Canucks are trying to add a young center to the team. The JT Miller trade with the Penguins fell through because the Penguins couldn't offer a young center. Canucks have also spoken to the L.A. Kings about Alex Turcotte. Prospects like Willander and Danielson would most likely still on the board at #19 (chicago pick).

I don't know. Kind of I guess. I'm not a fan of trade down though. I believe in getting the best talent you can. Even the top 15 picks only have a 50% chance of even making it. I would side on the statistical probability and just hope you can get one impact player, and I think in theory that happens the higher you pick.

As far as paying that price to offload Garland I think it's kind of a waste. Surely we can offload some other type of asset. I would rather trade next years first with him and maybe even get a defenceman back. Either way I don't really know that they would use the cap space wisely anyway ... it's not like there is a surefire crop of UFA's out there either. I would look to sign one D and or sign/trade a 3C and then bide my time looking for a winger trade/finding another D. I would be looking to save cap for what's coming up in the next couple of years.

I guess if we're that hard up against a wall and that's the only way to improve the team moving forward then I guess maybe you might make that move. It doesn't paint a very good picture for us though if we're that level of hooped.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yager going in the middle of the first will be so good for him. Less expectations, more patience. I could see him landing in Nashville or pits. 

i agree he has sneaky big potential for that point of the draft 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Below is a consensus ranking by Habs Eyes on the Prize. I would be really happy with anyone in that top 12, but realistically our pick could be anyone of those guys from 6-20.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2023-nhl-draft-rankings-consensus-bedard-michkov-smith-bob-mckenzie-athletic-prospects-elite/

2023 Draft Rankings

RK NAME POS HT WT DOB S LEAGUE AVG DROP RANGE BEST
1 CONNOR BEDARD C 5'10" 185 2005-07-17 R WHL 1.00 NA 0 1
2 ADAM FANTILLI C 6'2" 187 2004-10-12 L NCAA 2.00 1.00 1 2
3 LEO CARLSSON C/W 6'3" 194 2004-12-26 L SHL 3.46 1.46 2 2
4 MATVEI MICHKOV RW 5'10" 148 2004-12-09 L KHL 3.54 0.08 3 2
5 WILL SMITH C 6'0" 172 2005-03-17 R USDP 5.38 1.85 4 4
6 ZACH BENSON F 5'10" 159 2005-05-12 L WHL 7.08 1.69 12 5
7 RYAN LEONARD C 5'11" 181 2005-01-21 R USDP 8.69 1.62 17 5
8 DALIBOR DVORSKÝ C 6'1" 201 2005-06-15 L ALLSVENSKAN 10.31 1.62 15 6
9 OLIVER MOORE C 5'11" 176 2005-01-22 L USDP 10.62 0.31 19 6
10 AXEL SANDIN PELLIKKA D 5'11" 181 2005-03-11 R SHL 12.00 1.38 21 5
11 DAVID REINBACHER D 6'2" 187 2004-10-25 R NL 12.54 0.54 17 6
12 MATTHEW WOOD F 6'3" 190 2005-02-06 R NCAA 15.77 3.23 30 7
13 COLBY BARLOW LW 6'1" 187 2005-02-14 L OHL 16.23 0.46 27 6
14 GABE PERREAULT RW 5'11" 165 2005-05-07 L USDP 16.46 0.23 20 7
15 DMITRI SIMASHEV D 6'4" 201 2005-02-04 L KHL 17.23 0.77 33 5
16 NATE DANIELSON C 6'1" 185 2004-09-27 R WHL 18.62 1.38 24 7
17 EDUARD SALE RW 6'1" 168 2005-03-10 L CZECHIA 19.85 1.23 25 7
18 SAMUEL HONZEK C 6'4" 185 2004-11-12 L WHL 20.15 0.31 32 12
19 BRAYDEN YAGER C 6'0" 165 2005-01-03 R WHL 20.54 0.38 23 10
20 TOM WILLANDER D 6'1" 179 2005-02-09 R J20 NATIONELL 20.62 0.08 29 8

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This would completely deflate all of the excitement of the off season for me. Trading away the future to try and win now. They need this prospect.

I'd much rather run with Juulsen/Hirose/Brisebois/Wolanin, than trade away the 1st.

You can still have both.

• Vintage 1

Top wants.

Simashev.

Moore/Danielson

ASP/Willnader.

If Simashev is ready to jump to the NHL after next year, we would be nuts not to take him if we don’t trade away.

With everything as it is, and I am not Pro Russian, I am half Ukrainian…

Simashev is what we all hoped Trymakin would be.

a Giant who can skate, and ply a full Two way game.

He would be the best OEL replacement and would look great if he or Hughes could play the right side.

If not him, I am in a good up over Danielson/Moore/ASP/Willander

any one of the above, but have a idea that having a guy who can skate faster than any other person in the draft since McDavid who plays Center, and who have had a lot more points had Will Smith not lined up ahead of him.

Oliver Moore, even if he doesn’t develop outside of a Middle Six Center, at 5’11 and 195 will be a possible match up guy.

But bring in Giant Russian 2.0!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:
  Hide contents

1. Connor Bedard - What more is there to say at this point? The best prospect since Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews.

2. Leo Carlsson - I still think he's probably a center long-term, but he's gonna be a bit of a project to reach his full potential. Needs to work on his attention to details and intensity off the puck, particularly on the defensive side of play. He also tends to try to be an offensive driver more than a possession player; he'll need to learn that sometimes in the NHL just working around the outside is the better decision than the play to the net. Not as NHL-ready or translatable as Fantilli or Dvorsky, but I'm trying to rank for when they're 25, and if he pans out the upside is tremendous. The way he seamlessly blends skill and power carrying the puck is reminiscent of a young Jack Eichel and Mika Zibanejad.

3. Adam Fantilli - Always in the middle of things defensively, constantly disrupting all over the ice. Elite skating and 200-foot IQ combined with a physical, hard-hitting mentality and a well-rounded offensive toolkit make Fantilli about as safe a pick as you can get to be at least a 2nd line center, with potential for a lot more.

4. Dalibor Dvorsky - Even though Fantilli and Carlsson are quicker, more dynamic skaters, Dvorsky's intensity and ferocity down low in puck battles and on the forecheck can make the former two seem lackadaisical by comparison. Not to say Fantilli lacks intensity, but he often seems more inclined to read the play and let it come to him, whereas Dvorsky is a rabid dog after a bone. I just think even at his floor, you're getting a hell of a player that every team will covet come playoffs, and the ceiling could be pretty special. Remember what Kopitar was down low for the Kings' on their two Cup runs?

5. Will Smith - Controls the pace of the game. Has this uncanny knack for casually gliding into soft spots in coverage with the puck on his stick, drawing defenders into him where he can burn them with a deke or find the open pass. Particularly with Perreault and Leonard on his flanks, defenders would often show too much respect to his dynamic skating ability and his passing game, and he could sometimes just walk up the open lane.

6. Daniil But - I've been saying I think he's a center, but in that regard it would be nice to see him pass the puck a little more often. I suppose at the MHL level if you can dominate entire opposing teams yourself, why not go for it? Could still use his frame better, but already the combination of stick skills and brute power is electrifying. Stick skill and shot are his best attributes, but I don't mind his skating at all. Looks lanky and awkward, but the control, balance and evasiveness he has on his edges suggests his skating could help him to be an offensive gamebreaker in the long run.

7. Ryan Leonard - Power forward with smarts, skills and combativeness. Sometimes you forget how good his hands are until he does something extraordinary one-on-one, as he's more often looking to keep things simple and use his teammates. Only question I have is how's the upper end vision / play-creation? Can seem to have a little tunnel-vision at times.

8. Mikhail Gulyayev - Highest offensive upside defenseman in the draft. Might not end up being the best all-around defenseman out of the class (if someone like Simashev or Willander develops into a 26 minute matchup and two-way monster), but he'll be an analytic darling the way he dominates zone exits and drives zone possession and scoring chances for. He's always pushing play forward for his team, out of any kind of jam. It just so often seems like he only needs one touch in his own zone before he fires it up ice for a quick break, but it's when he decides to skate it himself that opposing defenses really need to look alive.

9. Nate Danielson - Smooth-skating power center. A true "coach's dream," he attacks north-south, he drives the net, he plays heavy, he plays fast, he's responsible defensively and strong on draws.

10. Matvei Michkov - I said I'd always go purely by hockey in my rankings, but even the KHL website has him listed at 148 lbs and he wasn't at the combine. So many red flags and too many phenomenal prospects at the top of this draft. When we start talking about which players follow who on instagram, I just can't be bothered anymore.

11. David Reinbacher - Looks like a surefire two-way top four D, with some room for offensive upside.

12. Eduard Sale - Comparison: Bobby Ryan. Despite the questions about intensity, the combination of tools (speed, shot, hands), IQ, vision in a 6'2 frame makes the upside just too good to pass up after the sure-things are gone. Even when he doesn't look involved in the game for long stretches, you blink and he's scored a couple goals.

14. Zach Benson - High IQ and average skating on a small frame always reminds me of Mikael Granlund. He was a good player for a long stretch. Benson is expected to be a better defensive forward with maybe a little more offensive upside.

14. Dimitri Simashev - Some of the most impressive skating I've seen from a prospect at this size at this age. Has all the tools you could wish for, but as of now he doesn't have anything close to the kind of impact on a game Gulyayev does at the MHL level.

15. Matthew Wood

16. Colby Barlow

17. Gabe Perreault

18. Oliver Moore

19. Tom Willander

20. Axel Sandin-Pellikka

21. Samuel Honzek

22. Lukas Dragicevic

23. Brayden Yager

24. David Edstrom

25. Calum Ritchie

26. Quentin Musty

27. Otto Stenberg

28. Riley Heidt

29. Andrew Cristall

30. Kasper Halttunen

31. Max Strbak

32. Theo Lindstein

Alright well I've been watching a ton of footage the past couple weeks and I've made some adjustments toward the top. I guess this is my finals ranking.

Drafting D in the first round is anyones guess. The Canucks have tried in the past, Bob Daily, Dale Tallon, Guevremont, Lanz, but back then there was no player development in place, and all 4 didn't have very long careers. It's risky even now.