The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blackhawks sign Jack Johnson

31 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Goes from the league's best team to the league's worst organization.

I feel bad for him.

His parents stole a lot of his money and it’s probably why he’s taking this contract. He’s just taking whatever NHL money he can get. I’m sure he’s just happy for the contract at this point and he still got a ring. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I feel bad for him.

His parents stole a lot of his money and it’s probably why he’s taking this contract. He’s just taking whatever NHL money he can get. I’m sure he’s just happy for the contract at this point and he still got a ring. 

Wonder if he would sell his ring to pay off some bills. The guy had to declare bankruptcy….

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

I feel bad for him.

I wouldn’t feel bad for him. 
He’s been a success and should still easily have enough money to live out the rest of his life. Considering he’s often a liability as a player, he’s done pretty well for himself. 

he’s about to gross 975K for 8-9 months worth of work this upcoming season potentially as just a spare part. 

Edited by RWJC

48 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I wouldn’t feel bad for him. 
He’s been a success and should still easily have enough money to live out the rest of his life. Considering he’s often a liability as a player, he’s done pretty well for himself. 

he’s about to gross 975K for 8-9 months worth of work this upcoming season potentially as just a spare part. 

:picard:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

he's not a good NHL defenseman but Chicago and JJ are a good match

Chicago: trying to lose

JJ: good guy trying to make some money after his parents robbed him

I still can't believe that parents would screw their own kid financially. If my kid was an NHL'er and bought me a house, or just gave me even a small amount of money, I'd be grateful. I'd be more wanting that kid to get sound financial advice so he didn't ever have to work after hockey. Hell I'd live in a basement suite and do the laundry and babysit his grandkids for him.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I still can't believe that parents would screw their own kid financially. If my kid was an NHL'er and bought me a house, or just gave me even a small amount of money, I'd be grateful. I'd be more wanting that kid to get sound financial advise so he didn't ever have to work after hockey. Hell I'd live in a basement suite and do the laundry and babysit his grandkids for him.

20,000,000 dollars - that's just brutal

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

:picard:

Parents can do a lot worse than steal money. 

Sorry, I just don’t have much sympathy for multi-millionaires losing their wealth to poor financial decisions they themselves are also responsible for, especially when a rule of thumb for decades has been never let family manage your earnings.

He had a great, reputable agent in Brisson and fired him to give his parents control. His parents are garbage people, but he also made the decision himself.

Edited by RWJC

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

Parents can do a lot worse than steal money. 

Sorry, I just don’t have much sympathy for multi-millionaires losing their wealth to poor financial decisions they themselves are also responsible for, especially when a rule of thumb for decades has been never let family manage your earnings.

He had a great, reputable agent in Brisson and fired him to give his parents control. His parents are garbage people, but he also made the decision himself.

You know it's okay to feel for people even when they create the problems themselves right? it's called empathy. And outside of obvious scumholes like pedos, serial killers, animal abusers etc, I think empathy is something most people deserve. We have no way of knowing what another person is dealing with inside. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I still can't believe that parents would screw their own kid financially. If my kid was an NHL'er and bought me a house, or just gave me even a small amount of money, I'd be grateful. I'd be more wanting that kid to get sound financial advice so he didn't ever have to work after hockey. Hell I'd live in a basement suite and do the laundry and babysit his grandkids for him.

My brother played rep hockey against a kid who's dad was sure he was going to be an NHL all star.  The dad started pumping his kid full of steroids when he was 14 or 15.  He made the kid run to whatever arena his game was at on game day.  The kid was under such immense pressure he wasn't able to be a kid'   He played for the Winterhawks and I think he led them in scoring one year.  He never made the NHL because he couldn't skate.  Parents can be total a^^holes.   Colin Foley I hope you got away from your evil father.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

You know it's okay to feel for people even when they create the problems themselves right? it's called empathy. And outside of obvious scumholes like pedos, serial killers, animal abusers etc, I think empathy is something most people deserve. We have no way of knowing what another person is dealing with inside. 

Yeah I do know that. I don’t feel sorry for him, but have no issue with other people conveying that. Am I supposed to feel compassion for someone who made a bad decision, also (along with their trash parents) spent their money freely and excessively, and realized their mistake, endured, persevered, maintained success as a pro athlete, won a championship, and is still gainfully employed grossing almost a million dollars a year this coming season for playing a sport…all of this because you think I should?

Am I also supposed to feel empathy for someone who admittedly doesn’t want sympathy from others and admits his own mistake/responsibility?

No, I don’t think I am required to.

I respect him and commend him.

I don’t feel empathy for someone who obviously is more capable of taking care of themselves than I can of them. 
does that sound fair to you?

I reserve my sympathy/empathies for the things prevalent in my life that I believe require my attention and involvement.
I run my own private animal rescue/rehab op. I have friends and their family currently under attack in the Ukraine whom I am supporting. That’s the kind of thing that receives my empathy.

Man, this guy's life has been so upside down. It's crazy that in times like these his parents are not good people. It's a crying shame he had to deal with those rodeo clowns for so long. But you never know, maybe him signing with Chicago will see him and the team better together? At least he's no longer sitting, waiting, wishing to sign somewhere and he can finally go on with the rest of his summer and have banana pancakes with his children. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

Yeah I do know that. I don’t feel sorry for him, but have no issue with other people conveying that. Am I supposed to feel compassion for someone who made a bad decision, also (along with their trash parents) spent their money freely and excessively, and realized their mistake, endured, persevered, maintained success as a pro athlete, won a championship, and is still gainfully employed grossing almost a million dollars a year this coming season for playing a sport…all of this because you think I should?

Am I also supposed to feel empathy for someone who admittedly doesn’t want sympathy from others and admits his own mistake/responsibility?

No, I don’t think I am required to.

I respect him and commend him.

I don’t feel empathy for someone who obviously is more capable of taking care of themselves than I can of them. 
does that sound fair to you?

I reserve my sympathy/empathies for the things prevalent in my life that I believe require my attention and involvement.
I run my own private animal rescue/rehab op. I have friends and their family currently under attack in the Ukraine whom I am supporting. That’s the kind of thing that receives my empathy.

I feel ya. I recently had to quit my job and dump my girlfriend because feeling empathy for others was just taking up so much of my time. It's definitely not for everyone. Good luck on the Path.

Edited by buddhahoodlum
Dropping the word "bro" because I don't want to assume gender identity
  • Cheers 2