The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights sign Phil Kessel

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Prior to FA I had posted that he would be a great addition for our PP, especially a 2nd unit, if he could be signed for cheap.

He’ll likely have some success with VGK.

Hope so. He’s been underrated in terms of consistency, imho.

I think he'll have success with a Vegas team that'll be determined to bounce back, yeah their goaltending is a huge question mark but people are sleeping on Phil and Vegas

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

People are so silly. Sit on their couch and make fun of a guy who could run circles around them and keeps up with the best of the best in the NHL. It's funny really when you think about how good of shape Phil is in vs those dissing him on this forum.

Like they're thinking sports is easy if I just ran around the block twice this week I'd be kicking that hotdog eating mofo's ass. :picard:

He'll likely be the all-time iron man within the first month of the season and people will still joke about his fitness or appearance as if he hasn't been putting the work in

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Both of whom are very good on the PK and can play a physical defensive game.  That helps out

the team defence right away.

Despite whatever peeps think of Phil, he can still put up the points; even on a terrible team like AZ.

His numbers will be significantly higher when he plays on the Knights.  He might even beat out (the

ever so expensive) Stone as the 1RW.  It will be a contest to see which one scores the most when

receiving those awesome passes from Eichel.

Vegas doesn't care if Phil can't play defense; it's not his job.  If he has Eichel as his linemate, I won't be

surprised if he scores +30 goals this season.  He'll make the PP better as well.

The big problem for Vegas, is that despite having a great defence; they lack a starting goalie.  Lehner had surgery

this summer and won't be back this season (his cap hit is $5m).  One possibility is trading for Varlamov, who has

clearly been bounced from starter to backup by Sorokin.  Varlamov has one more year at $5M, so he would

just take up Lehner $.  The NYI could find a cheaper backup and come out with extra salary cap.  If Vegas

acquires Varlamov, he can share the goaltending with Thompson, who had an outstanding rookie season last

year.

Vegas is a fascinating team to watch how they manipulate their salary cap.  I mean, right now, they sit at

almost 8m over the cap and they still have to re-sign Hague.  This would be a great betting game in

determining which players go on LITR before the season and what other ideas they can come up

with.  It must be fun being Bettman's baby!

Lamoriello already said 2 months ago that they aren't trading Varlamov - there were several teams interested.  After this week's presser where he repeated that they are a defensive team first doesn't look like he has changed his mind.  Trading Varlamov would have also given them the cap space to sign Kadri.  

McCrimmon also confirmed that they are going into the season with a tandem of Thompson/Brossoit.  

The vast majority of teams with players that are destined for LTIR are above the cap.  Weber's career is over and Lehner won't play this season.  If they didn't exceed the cap then they would be operating some 13M below it with a regular roster of less than 70M.  No different than Vancouver exceeding the cap by nearly 3M - Ferland can't play and will go on LTIR.  If Ferland didn't go on LTIR, then Vancouver would have only up to 79M for their regular roster.  It's putting him on LTIR that gives them access to the  space between 79M and 82.5M.  

Edited by mll

16 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think he'll have success with a Vegas team that'll be determined to bounce back, yeah their goaltending is a huge question mark but people are sleeping on Phil and Vegas

He'll likely be the all-time iron man within the first month of the season and people will still joke about his fitness or appearance as if he hasn't been putting the work in

I think you're taking this too seriously. I really do admire guys like Phil and Kirk, they don't look like the typical athlete but they are great at what they do, it inspires those of us who don't have a wealth of athletic ability and its fun to talk about because they do look like the average guy. I doubt there's anyone really disparaging Phil. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I think you're talking this too seriously. I really do admire guys like Phil and Kirk, they don't look like the typical athlete but they are great at what they do, it inspires those of us who don't have a wealth of athletic ability and its fun to talk about because they do look like the average guy. I doubt there's anyone really disparaging Phil. 

And the silly thing about this is of course he's an athlete.   Guy was at or near the top every single physical in TO...some people just have round heads not his fault!   Just his genes, the same one that is going to put him just outside of the HHOF when he's done.   Media made it into a circus in TO and the whole hotdog thing was de-bunked (and even if it was true, who cares, if a guy goes on a 10-15km job every day, let him drink his beer and eat his dogs at the end of it lol)... guys supposedly a beast in the gym, and you don't get a wrist shot like that doing 12 ounce curls every day...well some can like Doug Harvey lol but power to them.    Also doing heavy weights a couple times a week at his age is exactly what he should be doing.   He's built his body up over time.   Muscle memory and all of that.    Some people find it easier (genetically) to put the muscles on, shouldn't be made fun of for his big fat head.    But it is funny that we do anyways.   Let's try this one:  If you were a fish and looked like Phil Kessel, and a hot dog was on the lure, what would you look like? Fish Bass GIF

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And the silly thing about this is of course he's an athlete.   Guy was at or near the top every single physical in TO...some people just have round heads not his fault!   Just his genes, the same one that is going to put him just outside of the HHOF when he's done.   Media made it into a circus in TO and the whole hotdog thing was de-bunked (and even if it was true, who cares, if a guy goes on a 10-15km job every day, let him drink his beer and eat his dogs at the end of it lol)... guys supposedly a beast in the gym, and you don't get a wrist shot like that doing 12 ounce curls every day...well some can like Doug Harvey lol but power to them.    Also doing heavy weights a couple times a week at his age is exactly what he should be doing.   He's built his body up over time.   Muscle memory and all of that.    Some people find it easier (genetically) to put the muscles on, shouldn't be made fun of for his big fat head.    But it is funny that we do anyways.   Let's try this one:  If you were a fish and looked like Phil Kessel, and a hot dog was on the lure, what would you look like? Fish Bass GIF

Its all part of the quirkiness of hockey. Phils hot dog. MacKinnon and his sugar rage. Boeser is 'the flow', etc. etc. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Its all part of the quirkiness of hockey. Phils hot dog. MacKinnon and his sugar rage. Boeser is 'the flow', etc. etc. 

Yep.  Maybe all the NHLers should be doing Phil's hotdog routine lol.  Jog for 10-15kms a day, have a couple dogs and a pint or two ... 982 consecutive games is really what we should be talking about.   I remember Linden and Jarvis's iron man streak and thought wow back then ...  Unless he's benched he's going to set a mark that won't be beaten for a very, very long time.    8 games lol...as long as he stays away from the smokies i'm sure he's got it in the bank.   Earlier i said fringe HHOFer...well i'm not so sure depending on how his next 3 years go or so.  Guys going to have an iron man streak of 1000 games - add a couple cups of which he was critical ... and 450ish goals, and well over 1000 points.   Reality is he's right where the Sedins were at the same age and some.  Plus the cups, plus his iron man streak. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  Maybe all the NHLers should be doing Phil's hotdog routine lol.  Jog for 10-15kms a day, have a couple dogs and a pint or two ... 982 consecutive games is really what we should be talking about.   I remember Linden and Jarvis's iron man streak and thought wow back then ...  Unless he's benched he's going to set a mark that won't be beaten for a very, very long time.    8 games lol...as long as he stays away from the smokies i'm sure he's got it in the bank.   Earlier i said fringe HHOFer...well i'm not so sure depending on how his next 3 years go or so.  Guys going to have an iron man streak of 1000 games - add a couple cups of which he was critical ... and 450ish goals, and well over 1000 points.   Reality is he's right where the Sedins were at the same age and some.  Plus the cups, plus his iron man streak. 

I think Kessel might originally be a Bavarian name, the dude is destined to have a smokie franchise of some kind post-hockey. It could be a huge win for him to use it to launch a business. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think Kessel might originally be a Bavarian name, the dude is destined to have a smokie franchise of some kind post-hockey. It could be a huge win for him to use it to launch a business. 

No doubt - some with cheese already inside!  Maybe we should talk to his agent and get the business model set up.     Oscar Myer's with a picture of Myers pasting Keith on one side, and on the other side Kieths bloody lid coming down in some sort of old funky sticker depending on how you flip the package would also be priceless!   They'd also have to be about 12 inches long of course, because well it is Myers.   Can't think of anything that goes with a Giraffe ... what do they eat - Acacia leaves or something?    Salads don't seem as much fun but some Giraffe things would be ok i guess. 

Tim Hunters nose ... well does anyone remember when he was mocked by Tie Domi?   Skated by our bench, put his forefinger on his forehead, and his thumb on his chin... this sort of colour makes hockey that much better. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

What a gawd awful article. Horribly written and completely out to lunch on their knowledge of non-Canuck hockey players.

They could definitely use a sub-editor...

"Three seasons into his young NHL career and he’s been underwhelming in both"

22 hours ago, Coconuts said:

He's the most fit unfit person on this planet