The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sharks trade Adin Hill to Golden Knights for 2024 4th-round pick

36 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Oh so now they have the three stooges show in Vegas eh

I thought that was GM McCrimmon (going all in and overspending, then having to dump pricey vets and assets for the next shiny new toy), Eichel (thinking he's as good as McDavid in his draft year) and Phil the "Hot Dog Thrill" Kessel.

22 minutes ago, Boho53 said:

This is their idea of a starting goalie for the season? This seems like an oilers kind of strategy. I don't see this ending well.

I think they’re counting on Thompson being the number one. He’s looked good so far.  Hill is insurance.  Also. This should show how little value Depietro has.  Hill is big and has decent NHL stats in 74 games. Depietro, not so much 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I thought that was GM McCrimmon (going all in and overspending, then having to dump pricey vets and assets for the next shiny new toy), Eichel (thinking he's as good as McDavid in his draft year) and Phil the "Hot Dog Thrill" Kessel.

Do they even have picks or prospects left??

21 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Do they even have picks or prospects left??

Lol surprisingly they still have picks (only 2nd and 4th are gone from this year, and 4th from the year after).  
Not going to pretend like I know assets but this looks like a decent read on their farm system https://thehockeynews.com/news/prospect-pool-overview-vegas-golden-knights

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol surprisingly they still have picks (only 2nd and 4th are gone from this year, and 4th from the year after).  
Not going to pretend like I know assets but this looks like a decent read on their farm system https://thehockeynews.com/news/prospect-pool-overview-vegas-golden-knights

With a name like Tony ferarri... not so sure I should be trusting this article :P

• Haha 1

Broissoit is coming off hip surgery, so the trade for Hill is insurance for the Knights.  According to Kevin Woodley, goalie guru/writer, Broissoit wasn't on the ice in July at some "mini-camp" attended by a bunch of NHLers that he traditionally attends, so there's questions about whether he'll be ready for start of season.

One of the three Sharks' goalies (Hill, Kahkonen, Reimer) would have been exposed on waivers (unless they were going to keep three goalies on opening day), so it looks like they settled on Kahkonen and Reimer.  Getting a fourth round pick for a player they would most likely have lost on waivers for nothing is a win for the Sharks. 

It's conceivable that Hill will find himself on waivers if Broissoit and Thompson are the two guys the Knights go with, in which case, the Knights could very well have thrown a fourth out the window for nothing if Hill is placed on waivers and claimed.

As much as I like Spencer Martin and am rooting for him, if the Canucks didn't have the Holtby and Halak salary cap baggage, I would be much more comfortable with Hill as a back up to Demko.