The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Nhl defenders that take us places not hold us back. Everyone who plays on the league is obviously an NHL player! We reeeeeaaaaalllly need hockey to start asap.. Then our team can shut all of us up if they choose to be consistent this year :P

I don’t think Dermott is going to hold us back. 

Sure he’s not a legit top 4 yet, but at 25 there’s still room to improve.

And last time I checked bottom pair guys are still needed. Dermott and Poolman are that at the very least.

• Upvote 2

I hope we can resign Horvat to 6.5 like a few have been saying. That would be a solid price to lock him up at. 

With Miller signed now it looks like the more expendable pieces at the moment are now Horvat, Garland and Boeser. I think one likely gets moved between now and the start of next season (2023) for some sort of combo of RHD, Prospect, 1st round pick. 

What about Mayfield out of NYI? Very cheap for this season and likely getting a okay sized raise next season on a very full Islander D core. Not young, but under 30 so resigning him to a 3 year deal could give us 4 years of him.

Maybe Garland or Boeser to NYI for Mayfield ++ 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And last time I checked bottom pair guys are still needed. Dermott and Poolman are that at the very least.

Yeah, we need a heck of a lot more D than just our top 6, our top 8, and guys all but ready stashed away in the A and overseas.

Poolman coming back healthy is great news for filling out the D roster without adding any more AAV or contracts.

Legit NHL RD with size and skill.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think Dermott is going to hold us back. 

Sure he’s not a legit top 4 yet, but at 25 there’s still room to improve.

I'm only trying to say I believe what we have now can get us in the show, But half the D is going to be the reason we don't go very far ( which is fine as it's a multi year progression to the top ) 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I'm only trying to say I believe what we have now can get us in the show, But half the D is going to be the reason we don't go very far ( which is fine as it's a multi year progression to the top ) 

Fair enough.

I’m a little bit more optimistic in believing we’re only one legit top 4 away from having a good enough D to make some noise.

Hughes OEL

______ Myers

Ratbone Schenn/Dermott/Poolman

I think you fill in that blank with the right guy and with the forward group and goaltending we have that’s a team that can get it done.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Fair enough.

I’m a little bit more optimistic in believing we’re only one legit top 4 away from having a good enough D to make some noise.

Hughes OEL

______ Myers

I think you fill in that blank with the right guy and with the forward group and goaltending we have that’s a team that can get it done.

Juulsen? ;) 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Fair enough.

Hughes OEL

______ Myers

I'm not going to doubt that either. It's only fair to give them a chance with Bruce from day 1. You never know 

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd like to see the tough kid Joshua skate beside Petie for a couple of games. He's supposed to skate well.

I'd be happy with him on the 4th line, but thats an interesting thought. It wouldn't hurt to have a tougher player with him. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Allvin says he expects Poolman to be on the ice on day one of training camp. Says the reports he’s got from the medical staff is that “he’s doing well” #Canucks @TSNHockey

I'd still like to see us land DeHaan somehow.

Hughes-OEL

DeHaan-Myers

Dermott/Rathone-Poolman

should be a decent upgrade on last year. 

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Careful there... Getting awful close to heretical theories that we need a couple years to address the major holes and succession issues on D before we'll be considered a contender for the Cup...:bigblush:

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Careful there... Getting awful close to heretical theories that we need a couple years to address the major holes and succession issues on D before we'll be considered a contender for the Cup...:bigblush:

Let's just ship the boys off to the Spangler cup. Once they win we can finally say the rare canucks won a cup! Who can force you to specify which one :P

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'd still like to see us land DeHaan somehow.

Hughes-OEL

DeHaan-Myers

Dermott/Rathone-Poolman

should be a decent upgrade on last year. 

You can't have too many d men.  Depth is important, and nux are a bit thin in the back end. 

• Cheers 1