The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Goalie, top D, three centers. Literally the core. 

Not that different than other GMs who built cup winners have inherited.

The key may very well come down to acquiring a top 4 D men. 

There will be other smaller things like upgrading toughness and speed but the top 4 will be key to winning.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not that different than other GMs who built cup winners have inherited.

The key may very well come down to acquiring a top 4 D men. 

There will be other smaller things like upgrading toughness and speed but the top 4 will be key to winning.

Agree. They are not too far off. Just need to build the pieces around them the next few yrs. The young guys need to keep progressing too (Podz, Hoagy, Rathbone etc). 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

This couldn’t have been nice to hear from Boeser’s side. 

I mean he’s only signed to a bridge deal.

The rest are either signed long term or going to be signed long term.

Boeser has yet to prove he deserves a long term big money deal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I really like the tone of new mngt; firm but fair and willing to discuss with the players/their agents.

PA said something about/like different paths to get there for different players (meaning Miller, now Bo) but the object is to get a deal.

They hung onto Boeser even though they had to overpay a bit; but we needed to keep our good players to ice a good team this year.

As well as Boeser, he did not include OEL, who is very good, and commands a pretty high salary (but not compared to league value imo).

I think we still need guys like these guys, and Pearson too, to ice a pro team that can stand the rigor, and put the puck in the net.

The vets aren't the shiny new stars and superstars, but come playoffs, they carry the day, and lead the kids, protecting and letting them get their noses bloody too.

Even with Miller, Bo is still the captain of this team, and he's gonna lead, like Mils, and sign an 8 year team friendly deal and expect the up and comers to do the same.

Look at capfriendly.com, the board already looks a lot better, and once Bo is signed, it will be really good.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The bare bones core as discussed before the draft was Demko (named first each time the subject comes up), Hughes, and Pettersson.  Now he's adding Horvat as a sign that they are motivated to sign him.  Also, Miller as he was just signed will have the highest AAV when his new contract takes effect.

I agree with you about Boeser.  To date, he has put up good numbers but he is being paid and considered to be core by many because of his potential.  

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The bare bones core as discussed before the draft was Demko (named first each time the subject comes up), Hughes, and Pettersson.  Now he's adding Horvat as a sign that they are motivated to sign him.  Also, Miller as he was just signed will have the highest AAV when his new contract takes effect.

I agree with you about Boeser.  To date, he has put up good numbers but he is being paid and considered to be core by many because of his potential.  

OEL is paid like a core piece, isn’t he? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If Boeser, Garland aren’t considered “core” are those the two most likely traded for proper partners for OEL and Hughes? 

I would think so. I don't think the door is closed at all for Boeser to become a core piece but he's going to have to step up a bit.