The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Queen Elizabeth ll

Hamhuis Hip Check

40 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The one thing I was reflecting on today about Queen Elizabeth was about how she led an actual Empire at the age of 21. 

I can’t fathom the pressures on her at that age. 

I can’t fathom the awesome responsibilities and duties as a 21 year old when as a 21 year old how unequipped I would have been. 

Nor can I imagine any 21 year old today having that kind of duty and responsibility thrust upon them and be able to deal with that as much grace, wisdom and a sense of selflessness. 

Elizabeth at 21 then vs our modern 21 year olds is something to reflect on.

And it happened shortly after the second world war. Which is a bit of a double edged sword

On one hand there could have been another war,

but she did have the advantage of being friends with the country that possessed the bomb, hence  no war

also it was a serious time, being right after the was society wanted serious things, like food and water. There were no "Influencers"

It was probably better to be a 21 year old Monarch in 1952 than say 1937

and the Monarch is a roll that you can grow into, it can be largely a figurehead roll, but as you mature and have passions you can express those things 

Looking at the 1 year before Charles gets his ceremony, that would be of much more to a 21 year old

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

It may have an affect on others. 

Let them mourn. 

Have tact. 

I rarely tread lightly.  
It is one of my best and worst qualities.  

I also refuse to believe that people actually get sad over this, outside of her family and a handful of employees 

They got comments from Nazzy  and Crow.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/queen-elizabeth-ii-former-canucks-captain-and-head-coach-remember-iconic-2002-royal-puck-drop-1.6060552

Mark Crawford was the Canucks coach at the time, and has fond memories of the puck drop as well.

“I really enjoyed her being there,” said Crawford. “Mike Ricci was a guy I had coached in Colorado, so he was taking the face off for the San Jose Sharks, and he had tucked in his hair. And Mike was very much, his signature was his hair. And he always had his teeth out. So he had his teeth in and his hair tucked in for the Queen, so that explains the significance of the moment.”

Edited by Jaimito
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't worry Andrew has enough dirt on him as it is.....

Let alone Pumpkinhead.

Andrew, who is not ‘Princely’, is exactly the opposite of what Queen Elizabeth was. That must have been a huge consternation for her. 

The biggest insult within the Royal family and those that respect her is that Andrew was ‘less than’. 

I hope he gets that and then lives with what that term means, for the rest of his life. 

He stood on the shoulders of greatness and couldn’t even touch those heights in deeds or thoughts. 

Shame on him, as he is and will always be a shame to his mother, his siblings, his children and his country. 

May none of us ever be such shameful representatives of our own families. And even if we are that shameful, may we work harder than Andrew has to recuperate our personal dignity and our family’s honour. 

That kind of privilege deserves better men than him. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Except that she is no longer Queen of Canada. Charles is now the King of Canada. The currency and postage stamps will bear his likeness. Protocol, you know.

I didn't mind licking the back of the Queen, but not sure I'd want to lick the back of Charles....

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

September 30th since it's a holiday anyway and we can honour First Nations and the Queen on the same day?

In my opinion, I think reconciliation day needs to be its own day. 

Lest we forget. 

One monarch’s death doesn’t even, in my opinion, come close to the deaths of all those Indigenous children. 

The monarchy, back then, didn’t do a goddamn thing to help those kids. They ate, slept and commiserated in luxury and with no care for their subjects or their subject’ children. 

I couldn’t ever celebrate a deceased monarch while mourning a child, my child’s age, with any deference to the children lost. It would only invoke more anger from me, and I’m not even indigenous. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

In my opinion, I think reconciliation day needs to be its own day. 

Lest we forget. 

One monarch’s death doesn’t even, in my opinion, come close to the deaths of all those Indigenous children. 

The monarchy, back then, didn’t do a goddamn thing to help those kids. They ate, slept and commiserated in luxury and with no care for their subjects or their subject’ children. 

I couldn’t ever celebrate a deceased monarch while mourning a child, my child’s age, with any deference to the children lost. It would only invoke more anger from me, and I’m not even indigenous. 

Yeah that makes sense. Good points.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Exactly. Heads of States can certainly make a trip within 2-5 months. Is that really going to ruin their schedules? 

I mean I’m not invested in it either way but I’m curious as to the delay. 

No skin off my nose. 

I heard they're booking Metallica to play the Coronation and they're booked until then.

tumblr_p6bf7zCfGF1wlh4xto1_500.gifv

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Seems you have missed the intention of the lyrics?

But then call me a piece of sh!t.   
hahahah

Ok dude. 

I didn’t. The songs were a call against the fascistic monarchy as a whole. 

What you missed is that many of us can rage against the machine through pop culture stuff, while respecting and honouring the Lady. 

You're simply not capable of removing yourself from idiotic contrarianism and your inanity, and unfortunately the Lady that many of us respect, and the thread that many of us are using temporarily in paying earned respect to, on the day she died.

You’re a mongrel feasting on the flesh of of bad news. The worst kind of person. 

May your life pass unnoticed, as I suspect it will, juxtaposed to a life well lived and adored in Queen Elizabeth. 

If you don’t understand the words I’m saying because it may be too difficult for a troglodyte such as you to understand, I’m suggesting that you go fuck yourself and leave the rest of us paying respect, be. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1