The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Serious' allegations of child abuse levelled against Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Jake Virtanen was bad at hockey for many years.  In fact, he should have been cut loose to have facilitated bringing back Tyler Toffoli in 2020.

Make no mistake, his buyout in July 2021 had nothing to do with his hockey and he would have been playing NHL hockey last year if not for his allegations against him.  This was the Canucks simply trying to get ahead and make their PR statement.  A proper gesture at the time, but evidently since yesterday evening's news, more to save face.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

They cannot afford it because of the lifestyle they choose to live.  Own a car or ride the bus? Want an extremely nice apartment with all of the modern amenities instead of an okay apartment.  Have gig speed internet and owns a cell phone on the best carrier instead using a pay as you go plan or tweaking your hotspot.  Finally, learn how to cook for yourself and save money from eating out all the time.  And stop drinking Starbucks everyday when you can brew good coffee at home, easily.  Thing is you can still live on your own today, it just depends upon the lifestyle you want to live.  And they generally want the lifestyles their parents have and not work for it on their own.

Exactly how I felt too... I know abuse is real bad on kids... but what have they done as a responsible adult now?? Prove me wrong they haven't putting hands out to just take take and take... dinner time, mouths wide open waitintg to be fed...

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Problem is that this case is about child support payments, it had nothing to do with convicting him of child abuse.

So there will be no opportunity for him to clear his name unless he’s charged with something, or his kids have a change of heart and retract their allegations.

You make a good point.

The Canucks have to storm out of the gate so any bad news is muffled by the on ice success.

No Canucks related news trumps winning.

20 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Two sides to a story.

Just like JV who was vindicated in his trial (I still can’t stand Jake for a variety of other reasons).

Reserve your judgement until this is settled.

that sounds very rational.. but it's not how the world works anymore.... it's all optics & cancel culture.. you just form your opinion based on what you think seems common sense or truth-like!!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

You make a good point.

The Canucks have to storm out of the gate so any bad news is muffled by the on ice success.

No Canucks related news trumps winning.

Only way for him to exonerate himself now is for him to sue his children for libel.

In which case it gets really ugly and he puts himself in the spotlight for much longer.

In a different reality:

Arthur Griffiths still owns the team, as he found a way to build the new rink, And buy a basketball team. 

It may be just old fond memories, but the CKNW orphans fund, telethon and charitable work really popped out.

More of a "we are in this together" mantra?

Probably just me getting older and crotchety, good old days thinking.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Problem is that this case is about child support payments, it had nothing to do with convicting him of child abuse.

So there will be no opportunity for him to clear his name unless he’s charged with something, or his kids have a change of heart and retract their allegations.

Child support is more like adult support, kids are grown up and yes I’m aware some of these go into their low 20’s.

There appears to be a lot of domestic anger and resentment on both sides of that divorce. This is an ugly situation all around. There could be some sort of family court decision that is not known to us which gives him the ability to stop payments. The only real winners here are the lawyers. They both have a lot of money to give to them.

As for the abuse allegations, who really knows if it’s true or not. The courts will decide if there is merit to that as well.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

In a different reality:

Arthur Griffiths still owns the team, as he found a way to build the new rink, And buy a basketball team. 

It may be just old fond memories, but the CKNW orphans fund, telethon and charitable work really popped out.

More of a "we are in this together" mantra?

Probably just me getting older and crotchety, good old days thinking.

If only he found a way to financially keep going. The market exploded soon after he sold. He lost a lot of money!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, tas said:

how do you figure? they placed him on leave -- for his own sake -- while they investigated, and then they bought him out because he's really bad at hockey. 

30 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Virtanen was trending down at the time. He was headed for the waiver wire

They were cutting their losses both on and off the ice. 

So you both honestly think that the allegations had zero to do with him being bought out? Not even entertaining a trade for a low round pick? 

Yah he sucker but he still had some hockey value if not for the allegations. 

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Child support is more like adult support, kids are grown up and yes I’m aware some of these go into their low 20’s.

There appears to be a lot of domestic anger and resentment on both sides of that divorce. This is an ugly situation all around. There could be some sort of family court decision that is not known to us which gives him the ability to stop payments. The only real winners here are the lawyers. They both have a lot of money to give to them.

As for the abuse allegations, who really knows if it’s true or not. The courts will decide if there is merit to that as well.

The courts won’t decide that, that’s my whole point.

The wife and/or the children would need to file charges in civil court for a judge to make a ruling. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The courts won’t decide that, that’s my whole point.

The wife and/or the children would need to file charges in civil court for a judge to make a ruling. 

Oh ok sorry I thought this was playing out in court. So I wonder why new civil or even criminal charges are not being pursued. The claim in my opinion becomes a bit more questionable. 

22 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

even criminal charges are not being pursued.

Hard to get a conviction on anything to anybody, as the system is rightly biased as to prevent false convictions.

Add in 15, plus, years of time lapse and it would likely be a complete waste of time to get a criminal charge- or conviction

2 hours ago, AV. said:

We critique players, we critique management.  Why draw the line at the custodians of the team at the top?

What Labour relationships exist   Are governed by laws and have their protections to both sides.

Ive heard of nothing that’s ever been taken to, or a pattern of disgruntled employees about this owner and his buissness.

Price / Sekeres are manipulating something from a personal / private situation between the owner and his family.

It’s Harassment, Bullying , and Defamatory..

something they could lose their jobs over , or find themselves in Court about very shortly.

if I was F. AQ..  I would take them on that joy ride in the very least.

private is private.

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

So you both honestly think that the allegations had zero to do with him being bought out? Not even entertaining a trade for a low round pick? 

Yah he sucker but he still had some hockey value if not for the allegations. 

no, he didn't. his contract was immovable dead weight. 

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

private is private.

The trend in pro-sports is that private is NOT in fact private.  Many leagues (NFL/NBA) have taken the stance that if you conduct yourself in such a way to bring detrimental publicity to the franchise/league, you may face consequences.  Billionaire owners tend to face far less consequences for their actions, but they DO face them if the league finds the conduct inappropriate enough.

In the case of F.AQ, if you 'take them on that joy ride' as you say - you are, by default, taking your children on that 'joy ride' with you unfortunately and make no mistake, the public will have a say in that whether you want to keep it private or not. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

What Labour relationships exist   Are governed by laws and have their protections to both sides.

Ive heard of nothing that’s ever been taken to, or a pattern of disgruntled employees about this owner and his buissness.

Price / Sekeres are manipulating something from a personal / private situation between the owner and his family.

It’s Harassment, Bullying , and Defamatory..

something they could lose their jobs over , or find themselves in Court about very shortly.

private is private.

Huh? It's just sharing what he knows/what he's heard.  It's topically relevant to mention at this time.

These employees could include former GMs, coaches, scouts, players, etc.  It shouldn't be surprising that not everybody who has worked under this ownership has left on the greatest of terms.