The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-Season [GDT/PGT] Seattle Kraken @ Vancouver Canucks/ Thursday, Sept. 29/22 / 6:30pm KONG, NHLN,SN1, SNP, 650AM at Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

No where near as negative about this one than the flames games, where neither team seemed even bothered. We could have ripped them to pieces in the first / second if the team had really wanted to.  Was a very positive showing from lots of the important 1st team players tonight.  Yeah they switched off about half way through and pulling demmer hurt us. But I think the 'Its Just Pre-season' thing is more of an excuse this week.  Tho i can see why Bruce was annoyed as blowing leads was a bit of a point of failure for us last year. 

Can we take a minute to appreciate Quinn Hughes... The kid's skating is absolutely unreal, rewatch the tape and count how many time 2-3 Krackers blow a tire trying to match him. Maybe the best D man we ever see on the Canucks in our lifetimes. Not 100% sold on the move to RH D yet tho. 

Joshua - Good add, Can add some serious fore check threat & snarl, and his staking, hands and brain are all to a point it doesn't make him a liability despite his size, unlike some previous incumbents. 

Karlson  - Nice hands but those first few strides are like steaming through concrete, He wont succeed in the NHL with that speed / frame. Needs a year in the A for sure.

Hogz - looked fast and determined. 

Petey - Looking good - shots not dialed in just yet tho. 

Kuz - guys has 20+ written all over him, seemed to link up well with Petey. Not looking like a Russian bust on this showing.

Rathbone - Filthy passing, hard shot and slick skating.  Looks more solid defensively overall but still the odd massive gaff that would likely lead to a goal against a better team. Think he gets a run at the start to proove he can play D again this year. 

Silovs - Worst i've seen him play, he was far too over active in net and not tracking the puck well. I think the experience will do him good tho. Still high on this lad. Very young one for the future ! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

We lost because we had a 19 year old goaltender in net. 2 of the 3 should have been stops. Obviously, he’s only freaking 19 years old. 

Anyways it’s pre season and enjoyed most of the performances of our main guys. Miller seriously needs to work on his decision making, I don’t think I’ll have much patience for his patented once or twice a game detrimental turnover all season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

tbh I don't think Lockwood has done nearly enough to earn a spot. Who's job would he take? I can't see him replacing anyone in the F group. 

Yup I would say Dakota earned a spot over Lockwood. If Boeser and Mikheyev were healthy, 

Lockwood would then have to outplay Lazar and Hogz to warn a spot 

Don't think he did that

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No where near as negative about this one than the flames games, where neither team seemed even bothered. We could have ripped them to pieces in the first / second if the team had really wanted to.  Was a very positive showing from lots of the important 1st team players tonight.  Yeah they switched off about half way through and pulling demmer hurt us. But I think the 'Its Just Pre-season' thing is more of an excuse this week.  Tho i can see why Bruce was annoyed as blowing leads was a bit of a point of failure for us last year. 

Can we take a minute to appreciate Quinn Hughes... The kid's skating is absolutely unreal, rewatch the tape and count how many time 2-3 Krackers blow a tire trying to match him. Maybe the best D man we ever see on the Canucks in our lifetimes. Not 100% sold on the move to RH D yet tho. 

Joshua - Good add, Can add some serious fore check threat & snarl, and his staking, hands and brain are all to a point it doesn't make him a liability despite his size, unlike some previous incumbents. 

Karlson  - Nice hands but those first few strides are like steaming through concrete, He wont succeed in the NHL with that speed / frame. Needs a year in the A for sure.

Hogz - looked fast and determined. 

Petey - Looking good - shots not dialed in just yet tho. 

Kuz - guys has 20+ written all over him, seemed to link up well with Petey. Not looking like a Russian bust on this showing.

Rathbone - Filthy passing, hard shot and slick skating.  Looks more solid defensively overall but still the odd massive gaff that would likely lead to a goal against a better team. Think he gets a run at the start to proove he can play D again this year. 

Silovs - Worst i've seen him play, he was far too over active in net and not tracking the puck well. I think the experience will do him good tho. Still high on this lad. Very young one for the future ! 

It’s insane Quinn Hughes looks faster as well. Petey’s skating has also improved drastically. Both looking dynamic out there.

Also, I have to believe Petey gets some Selke consideration this season. It’s incredible to me he’s our best defensive forward out there. Reading plays, intercepting pucks like he’s intercepting missiles, analyzing plays before they even happen. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

They didn't in Calgary, they iced a good chunk of their top players against Vans AHL guys.  Why didn't they just pack it in after a couple of goals?

Funny how the guy that did all the damage in Calgary was also one of the newest members of the team and also one that is likely pissed off that his previous team dumped him for a Tkachuk.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

tbh I don't think Lockwood has done nearly enough to earn a spot. Who's job would he take? I can't see him replacing anyone in the F group. 

I haven’t seen how a lot of others have played a guy like Dickenson who I’d rather see on waivers Than gifted a spot for one. 

Besides I simply stated I though lockwood had a decent game he hit he drove the net he was involved.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

So you think they went into the first intermission and said "all right boys, that's probably good enough"?  And you call that thinking logically?

Again, why don't other teams do that?  Why didn't the Flames, a cup contender, do the same thing?

I mean they lost 3-0 to the Kraken...  so did the Oilers....  

I don't think many people were happy to lose yesterday, but I am not concerned at all.  We were toying with them for long periods of time. We answered the physical challenge and looked good when we wanted to.  

The other thing for me is...Bruce, himself, talked about "protecting the lead" but I don't know that it works because you start playing differently. The tempo and attack mode had Seattle behind a step....we started focusing more on preventing goals than scoring them in the third. Shift in gears and Seattle jumped on that.

I do agree that some of the breakdowns (like a guy wide open in the slot) have to be corrected. But go for the jugular. Seattle also saw Demko out in the third and started crashing the net.

"It is what it is"

If you only take away negatives due to a loss, you're missing a lot of good things that happened. Stumbled/fell, but that wasn't the whole story.

• There it is 1

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I mean they lost 3-0 to the Kraken...  so did the Oilers....  

I don't think many people were happy to lose yesterday, but I am not concerned at all.  We were toying with them for long periods of time. We answered the physical challenge and looked good when we wanted to.  

Again, i don't care about the L, I care about how it happened. 

• There it is 1

Not worried about the loss last night.  Silovs isnt even our starter in Abby and though I wish he was able to hold the fort for the W, I'm not upset.  

I was worried about the frustration showed during our last power play.  Seems the guys still need to get the mental game sharpened as they became stagnant and didn't move the puck as quickly as their first few successful PP's.  Hopefully the killer instinct builds as the season goes on.

Kuzy, good lawd he's gonna be fun to watch with Petey.  Great offensive instincts.

Karlsson has NHL skills and IQ but needs to work on his first 2/3 steps.  Something he can work on down in Abby.  Joshua, Di Giuseppe look like good 4th liners.  Add in Arseneu and we're looking tough for the 4th line.

OEL - Hughes looks good.  I thought DeKeyser had a good game as well.  Rathbone looks ready for the show.  Burroughs still solid.  Poolman was so-so.

Interesting note, top four in minutes played last night.  Hughes, Petey, Rathbone, Miller.

Another game against Seattle tomorrow and I think the guys will pull out the W after last night.  Can't wait to see how the roster shakes out!

17 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Never thought I'd say this... 

I miss...

BRAD SHAW

Same guy who led us to a the worst PK in our history though? Unless I’m mistaken of course.

Edited by Odd.