The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jason Dickinson, 2024 2nd-round pick to Blackhawks for Riley Stillman

This story shows how ho hum we have gotten as fans. Not as much crap being thrown at this story. We gave up a third to acquire, a second to get rid of this guy. With all do respect to Stillman, this is a sad, sad, waste of picks. I defended JB for some things. But he and his staffs pro scouting was dreadfull. Even the third at the time seemed high for a player that the Stars were likely to lose in the expansion draft. It's pathetic really. So many picks thrown away by JB. If even one pick turned into a legit D prospect we would be on better shape. Woo and OJ, unreal. Lind over Hague, unreal. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

This story shows how ho hum we have gotten as fans. Not as much crap being thrown at this story. We gave up a third to acquire, a second to get rid of this guy. With all do respect to Stillman, this is a sad, sad, waste of picks. I defended JB for some things. But he and his staffs pro scouting was dreadfull. Even the third at the time seemed high for a player that the Stars were likely to lose in the expansion draft. It's pathetic really. So many picks thrown away by JB. If even one pick turned into a legit D prospect we would be on better shape. Woo and OJ, unreal. Lind over Hague, unreal. 

I don't blame the pick really; had he turned into a turnkey consistent 3rd line LW/C, it would have been great. Even a consistent 4th liner...

Unfortunately, the contract JB gave him was TOO rich (I get it; he was an RFA, but we should of just Qualified him to show he belonged). And that was really JBs MO; not terrible player signings, just very poor contracts that required buyouts and trading draft capital to get rid of. The whole Holtby thing last year was plain stupid, given the games clause/bonus given to Halak; should of just kept Holtby for another year (inflated contract and all).

And drafting Dmen is a bit of a crapshoot...

Edited by BC_Hawk

7 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I don't blame the pick really; had he turned into a turnkey consistent 3rd line LW/C, it would have been great. Even a consistent 4th liner...

Unfortunately, the contract JB gave him was TOO rich (I get it; he was an RFA, but we should of just Qualified him to show he belonged). And that was really JBs MO; not terrible player signings, just very poor contracts that required buyouts and trading draft capital to get rid of. The whole Holtby thing last year was plain stupid, given the games clause/bonus given to Halak; should of just kept Holtby for another year (inflated contract and all).

And drafting Dmen is a bit of a crapshoot...

The drafting of Dmen is just historically brutal by the franchise. JB, really, was just carrying on the tradition. The list of misses on the pro scouting side is just plain ugly. I don't have time to compile a list, but Glendenning and that Larsson guy from Edmonton come to mind. Vey. The list could go on. Just pathetic. Even Ferland. The guy was damaged goods and JB gives him three years? Really? Poolman for four years? It's mind numbing and I am just quick going from memory. It all stars with just terrible pro player evaluations. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, rekker said:

The drafting of Dmen is just historically brutal by the franchise. JB, really, was just carrying on the tradition. The list of misses on the pro scouting side is just plain ugly. I don't have time to compile a list, but Glendenning and that Larsson guy from Edmonton come to mind. Vey. The list could go on. Just pathetic. Even Ferland. The guy was damaged goods and JB gives him three years? Really? Poolman for four years? It's mind numbing and I am just quick going from memory. It all stars with just terrible pro player evaluations. 

This is the first time in ages that we haven't opened the season with a defenceman who can't play defence.  Larsen, Weber, Hunt, Pouliot, Del Zotto, Bartkowski all had no business playing at the NHL level for any reason.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I don't think I was disagreeing with you about JB signing players to poor contracts, and if that was his pro scouting dept, then so be it. IF you take chances on Poolman @ 1.2m OR Ferland on a one year contract, those would be great. Sven Bartschi on a short term contract..sure.  It's signing those guys on multi year contracts at above market rates that was his biggest issue. 

But, drafting defenseman is tough. In retrospect, we wouldn't draft OJ knowing he'd blow his knee out. I also remember people during the draft comparing him to Edler++ which would have turned out great for us. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I don't think I was disagreeing with you about JB signing players to poor contracts, and if that was his pro scouting dept, then so be it. IF you take chances on Poolman @ 1.2m OR Ferland on a one year contract, those would be great. Sven Bartschi on a short term contract..sure.  It's signing those guys on multi year contracts at above market rates that was his biggest issue. 

But, drafting defenseman is tough. In retrospect, we wouldn't draft OJ knowing he'd blow his knee out. I also remember people during the draft comparing him to Edler++ which would have turned out great for us. 

For sure, we ageee on a lot. My biggest beef, or at least my loudest beef lately is the historical track record when drafting and developing D. I think it's maybe the biggest reason this franchise lacks a cup. We've had goaltending, hall of fame forwards, but outside of maybe 5 or 6 stud dmen (none Norris winners) we have had little success with D. Outside of Hughes, it's been particularly bad the last ten years. Pathetic really. If Hughes didn't fall into JB's lap, we wouldn't even have him. 

1 hour ago, bad alice french said:

Good trade 

Especially in light of that recent “dressing room friction” story coming out of Chicago, with Dickinson being the likely source.

I can understand a trade leaving a player with a sour taste and some hurt feelings, but that doesn’t mean you immediately start bad mouthing your former team and telling tales out of school.

Hopefully it wasn’t Dickinson, but it’s hard to see how a Chicago TV analyst suddenly has intel on the inner workings of the Canucks room, unless it’s coming from the player that just moved teams.

And if Dickinson is the source, he can **** off right into the sun. :mad:

• Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Especially in light of that recent “dressing room friction” story coming out of Chicago, with Dickinson being the likely source.

I can understand a trade leaving a player with a sour taste and some hurt feelings, but that doesn’t mean you immediately start bad mouthing your former team and telling tales out of school.

Hopefully it wasn’t Dickinson, but it’s hard to see how a Chicago TV analyst suddenly has intel on the inner workings of the Canucks room, unless it’s coming from the player that just moved teams.

Unprofessional of Dickinson if that's the case, but if it is true (which I wouldn't doubt given how there seems to be zero chemistry on this team, and not the first time it's been reported), this needs to be addresses by management.  There's enough talent on this team that IF they play as a TEAM, they should be a surefire playoff squad this year.

30 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

… and why aren’t you assuming Stillman is the last source?  He could have texted what a shit show the dressing room is to a former team mate who then passed it on to a media person because they have no allegiance to the Canucks.  Or Dickenson could have made a comment in private in the dressing room to a new team mate about how he was glad to be out of the drama that someone else leaked.

Random speculation throwing players under the bus is kind of silly…. Especially when we don’t even know the issue is even true.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Recent successes of Dickie vs how he absolutely could not skate (see: training camp skate drills) he looked like a stick man and did not even hold his head high and try.

We're well rid of him and Stillman fills a vacancy at 3LD; Chicago didn't really want Dickie, they wanted the pick.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

… and why aren’t you assuming Stillman is the last source?  He could have texted what a shit show the dressing room is to a former team mate who then passed it on to a media person because they have no allegiance to the Canucks.  Or Dickenson could have made a comment in private in the dressing room to a new team mate about how he was glad to be out of the drama that someone else leaked.

Random speculation throwing players under the bus is kind of silly…. Especially when we don’t even know the issue is even true.

I’m not saying Dickinson is the source. I really hope he isn’t.

But if he is, then yeah, toss him under the bus. And I’ll drive. ;)  

It could be anyone, I suppose.

Or there could be no source at all. 

Having now gone and viewed the specific episode of the Daily Faceoff, and really paid attention to Colby Cohen’s comments, I actually think now that there’s no source (Dickinson or other), and that Cohen was just referring to the same rumours that we’ve all heard the past few years, when it comes to the issues in the Canucks room, player “rifts,” and dysfunction in the organization:

I think Cohen was mostly just trying to fill a two minute spot and offer up his opinion, as a former NHL player (and current analyst) when asked the following, by Seravalli:

“Take me inside the room Colby, what’s it like to be a player on a team in this situation?”

Cohen didn’t really say anything all that different from what dozens of other former players and/or analysts from various NHL cities might say about the Canucks, in response to that same question.

I think the media/social media coverage of Cohen’s comments made it sound like he’d independently offered up a really juicy scoop with dirt on the Canucks’ players and dressing room. Which doesn't seem to really be the case. He was appearing on a show, doing two minute segments on various stories from teams around the league, and he was asked specifically about what he thought the players in Vancouver might be going through, after these four games.

In that context, his answers actually seem rather mundane and inconsequential.

Having now watched the segment (instead of just reading the secondary reporting and commentary on it), it seems to me that he’s just referencing some of the rumours and the general perception around the league of the Canucks the past few seasons.

I actually don’t get the sense that Cohen is offering up any kind of recent revelations based on direct quotes from an actual source close to the team (Dickinson or other). When he mentions “the things [he’s] hearing out of that dressing room,” I really think that he’s just talking about the same chatter and rumours we’ve all heard the last few years.

So I guess we can pull Dickinson out from under the wheels. And I suppose I’ll park the bus. For now, anyway. ;) 

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Agreed. I also feel like Stillman is quite serviceable. I’ve been impressed so far and I like his mobility and toughness. He’s actually way better with the Puck than I expected. Regardless Dickinson didn’t have a defined role here but Stillman seems to be finding his way into the line up nicely.

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nate Schmidt is another example who had a disappointing short stint with the Canucks and ended up playing better with their new team. Now we're seeing the same with Jason Dickinson. Speaking of ex-Canuck players, Tyler Motte also has five points in five games with the Senators.

Still early in the season. Will see what there numbers are like come mid-season.

Regardless, Vancouver is where careers come to an end. 

On 10/20/2022 at 11:26 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m not saying Dickinson is the source. I really hope he isn’t.

But if he is, then yeah, toss him under the bus. And I’ll drive. ;)  

It could be anyone, I suppose.

Or there could be no source at all. 

Having now gone and viewed the specific episode of the Daily Faceoff, and really paid attention to Colby Cohen’s comments, I actually think now that there’s no source (Dickinson or other), and that Cohen was just referring to the same rumours that we’ve all heard the past few years, when it comes to the issues in the Canucks room, player “rifts,” and dysfunction in the organization:

I think Cohen was mostly just trying to fill a two minute spot and offer up his opinion, as a former NHL player (and current analyst) when asked the following, by Seravalli:

“Take me inside the room Colby, what’s it like to be a player on a team in this situation?”

Cohen didn’t really say anything all that different from what dozens of other former players and/or analysts from various NHL cities might say about the Canucks, in response to that same question.

I think the media/social media coverage of Cohen’s comments made it sound like he’d independently offered up a really juicy scoop with dirt on the Canucks’ players and dressing room. Which doesn't seem to really be the case. He was appearing on a show, doing two minute segments on various stories from teams around the league, and he was asked specifically about what he thought the players in Vancouver might be going through, after these four games.

In that context, his answers actually seem rather mundane and inconsequential.

Having now watched the segment (instead of just reading the secondary reporting and commentary on it), it seems to me that he’s just referencing some of the rumours and the general perception around the league of the Canucks the past few seasons.

I actually don’t get the sense that Cohen is offering up any kind of recent revelations based on direct quotes from an actual source close to the team (Dickinson or other). When he mentions “the things [he’s] hearing out of that dressing room,” I really think that he’s just talking about the same chatter and rumours we’ve all heard the last few years.

So I guess we can pull Dickinson out from under the wheels. And I suppose I’ll park the bus. For now, anyway. ;) 

Two recent former Nux traded to CHI during this turbulent era. There’s smoke and obviously a little fire going on. Based on comments coming from Bruce and mgmt it’s hard not to believe there could be friction within. It’s more about the level of or degree 

• Upvote 1