The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks Season Preview - Spittin' Chiclets

Rate this topic

Canuck You

Agree with Whit's assessment. I also like the forward group and think we will score lots of goals under Bruce's offensive system. However, our D is suspect and in particular our right side is an issue, even more so with Myers sidelined. Good thing we have Demmer back there. 

4 hours ago, Canuck You said:

Sometimes I don't understand what the eck I'm listening to but maybe a lil' bit of comedy and an opinion....And Bruce there it is!

Listened their take on OEL and that was enough for me to understand that they haven't watched a single Canucks game in the last year. Take everything they said with a grain of salt because these guys are glorified stat checkers.

• Cheers 2

On 10/8/2022 at 10:51 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Listened their take on OEL and that was enough for me to understand that they haven't watched a single Canucks game in the last year. Take everything they said with a grain of salt because these guys are glorified stat checkers.

No they're worse then that.  Because they were NHL players, they think very highly of there opinion.  However, they were bottom of the line-up players that were never considered high IQ or character teammates (they were good at standing up for their teammates from time to time... I'll give them that). Fun time, practical jokers... Old school puck heads.  Whatever.... These guys have never said anything positive about the canucks and as you mentioned, it doesn't seem like they pay any attention or watch any game the nucks are in.  Super biased and dismissive.  They just don't care to do the work and really have a meaningful take.  There bread and butter is paying attention to the eastern teams period.

Nothing to see here...

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

No they're worse then that.  Because they were NHL players, they think very highly of there opinion.  However, they were bottom of the line-up players that were never considered high IQ or character teammates (they were good at standing up for their teammates from time to time... I'll give them that). Fun time, practical jokers... Old school puck heads.  Whatever.... These guys have never said anything positive about the canucks and as you mentioned, it doesn't seem like they pay any attention or watch any game the nucks are in.  Super biased and dismissive.  They just don't care to do the work and really have a meaningful take.  There bread and butter is paying attention to the eastern teams period.

Nothing to see here...

I legitimately thought to myself, “I thought Ray Whitney was pretty good…” and he was.

Obviously I’m not a podcast guy. :lol:

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I legitimately thought to myself, “I thought Ray Whitney was pretty good…” and he was.

Obviously I’m not a podcast guy. :lol:

Yah ray Whitney wasn't bad... Had skill a good athlete for his time but maybe just a bit more upstairs and a bit more heart than say, Virtanen... Enough to get by.  

I just don't appreciate anyone who rests on their laurels... But hey, I guess they're supposed to be entertaining.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Yah ray Whitney wasn't bad... Had skill a good athlete for his time but maybe just a bit more upstairs and a bit more heart than say, Virtanen... Enough to get by.  

I just don't appreciate anyone who rests on their laurels... But hey, I guess they're supposed to be entertaining.

Oh, sorry if Im misunderstanding but 1000 point man Ray Whitney isn’t a part of Spittin Chicklets.  Journeyman defenceman Ryan Whitney is.  

(I know because I just checked!) 

48 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Oh, sorry if Im misunderstanding but 1000 point man Ray Whitney isn’t a part of Spittin Chicklets.  Journeyman defenceman Ryan Whitney is.  

(I know because I just checked!) 

Lol!  You're absolutely right!  Shooot... I thought Ray was the guy on chicklets.  Even more reason to disregard those guys 'professional' opinions.  Lol!  I probably shouldn't let it bother me as much as it does. :rolleyes:

Let's get some nucks hockey please!:towel:

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Nothing to see here...

From listening in the past I think Whitney is actually pretty good. He can have some pretty good analysis, just being their East coast guys obviously they didn't watch a ton last year as evidence by him not knowing much about OEL.

Their video didn't bring much though, Biz is a knucklehead here & it was pretty much an admission they didn't follow the team much last year, the OEL part made it clear.

34 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

From listening in the past I think Whitney is actually pretty good. He can have some pretty good analysis, just being their East coast guys obviously they didn't watch a ton last year as evidence by him not knowing much about OEL.

Their video didn't bring much though, Biz is a knucklehead here & it was pretty much an admission they didn't follow the team much last year, the OEL part made it clear.

So why bother... Stick to what they know.  Otherwise they are doing a disservice to themselves and our fan base.  I find it flippant and disrespectful.  Just reinforcing the old center of the universe narrative.  

That's why I prefer the hockey guy.  Yah he's a canuck fan... Along with Boston and Dallas but he follows all the teams.  Anyway my point being.  If you don't know or care to know what you're talking about... Maybe you shouldn't say anything at all in those areas.  Just my 2 cents.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

An East coast bias y’all say? That’s reason enough for me to skip it.

And lol @ the Blue Jays. Just had to get that in. :lol:

I didn't really hear any kind of bias, and thought it was a reasonable take. They have us in the playoff race right to the end, probably finishing just outside, but maybe taking 3rd in the Pacific. They believe in Demko, Boudreau, Miller and Petey, and have a lot of love for Luke Schenn. People seem upset because they view OEL as making too much for the offense provided, particularly the goal scoring. 

• Upvote 1

spittin chiclets lol.

a scrub that needed to be comedic to have a slither of relevance in the hockey world and the other a former loser oiler who sounds like a complete douche, that whenever you see that face and hear that voice, you just want to cave his head in. 

might've been a little overboard with what i said but at the same time, no.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Innocent Gunn said:

I didn't really hear any kind of bias, and thought it was a reasonable take. They have us in the playoff race right to the end, probably finishing just outside, but maybe taking 3rd in the Pacific. They believe in Demko, Boudreau, Miller and Petey, and have a lot of love for Luke Schenn. People seem upset because they view OEL as making too much for the offense provided, particularly the goal scoring. 

Yup, extremely reasonable take. They are right about OEL in the fact he got paid for providing offence. 5 years in a row of double digit goals and 2 at 20 is huge. He's not doing that here playing second fiddle to Hughes ... and Myers at another 6 million means they're right. Our d is expensive as heck and underperforms. It's the biggest reason we are a middling team. They also stated they don't really know what was happening with him during the year, and especially the second half. People upset by the truth.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:46 AM, Hogs & Podz said:

So why bother... Stick to what they know.  Otherwise they are doing a disservice to themselves and our fan base.  I find it flippant and disrespectful.  Just reinforcing the old center of the universe narrative.  

That's why I prefer the hockey guy.  Yah he's a canuck fan... Along with Boston and Dallas but he follows all the teams.  Anyway my point being.  If you don't know or care to know what you're talking about... Maybe you shouldn't say anything at all in those areas.  Just my 2 cents.

They did all the teams ... that's their job. We all speculate all the time about teams we don't know sh!t about either. I enjoy taking a look at the East Coast myself and wondering if teams like Buffalo, Detroit, and Ottawa, can make a push. They made totally fair comments and even indicated situations where they were lacking in knowledge. These guys know more than most people here. They can see our defence is very problematic and stated as much.