The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, qwijibo said:

Or, the rest of the league sees he’s effective in North America and he cashes in on free agency with another team 

yeah, he's probably cashing in next year when he's a UFA. can't see the Canucks making an offer. If he's staying in blue and green, he's taking a lot less than what other teams could be offering him next summer. Would not surprise me one bit if he walked. 

• Cheers 1

Just like the Canucks have to learn to change, so do Canucks fans haha

Instead of focussing on the 'same old same old" I'm going to say that I was enjoying the new forward lines. I really think Andrei Kuzmenko is going to bring an important element to the team. 

I also think that the Canucks oddly lost coverage of McDavid on a couple of the goals. He is THE best player in the NHL - NEVER drop coverage of him and let him skate away uncovered. 

The 3-0 part of the game was inspiring and shows what the Canucks can do, and the 3-5 part of the game shows how disciplined they have to be on not getting into a defensive mode or losing track of a teams's key players.

• Haha 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

yeah, he's probably cashing in next year when he's a UFA. can't see the Canucks making an offer. If he's staying in blue and green, he's taking a lot less than what other teams could be offering him next summer. Would not surprise me one bit if he walked. 

Same thing happened with Montreal and Radulov. Signed for cheap in Montreal.  Proved himself. Cashed in with Dallas the following year  

42 minutes ago, 1-d said:

This was his first real game action since April.

The high-sticking penalty he took at the end was still brutal, admittedly.

Jason king was kind of dumb to put Boeser in, instead of OEL. OEL and Hughes would be the 2 men at point with OEL as the trigger man on the blueline while 4 forwards in Horvat, Kuzmenko, Miller and Petey would have taken car of business near the net. Just mindboggling that he puts 5 forwards and 1 D.

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Or, the rest of the league sees he’s effective in North America and he cashes in on free agency with another team 

He will cash in with Vancouver.  Him and Podkolzin are best buds.  If we need to we can trade several players to make room for Kuzmenko.  The Petey-Kuzy partnership was the one bright spot of the entire game tonight, so we need to do everything we can to keep them together for the next decade.

I'd even throw Podkolzin on that line instead of Hoglander.  I think with Podkolzin's size he can make that line even stronger...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Same thing happened with Montreal and Radulov. Signed for cheap in Montreal.  Proved himself. Cashed in with Dallas the following year  

I can see the exact same thing happening with Kuzmenko. He chose Vancouver, because the Canucks give him the best chance to cash in the following season. He didn't choose Vancouver, because he believed he could win. 

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. They're only a year apart, aren't they? 

But Brock's produced more than Kuzmenko at a similar age. 

Brock trade will bring us a good top 4 D...a legit NHL dman that can defend and then we would use that cap space for Kuzmenko who seems more potent and faster than Boeser. Besides Canucks have so many wingers with Garland, Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Pearson, Karlsson, Klimovich etc. that Boeser is just redundant at this point.

• There it is 2

Wow

one bag game and its get rid of everyone

the oilers are a cup contender and have the 2 more dynamic scorers in the league

so the canucks played a bit sloppy, missed on some great chances and got burnt on another few. It happens

if i had to criticize the game its that too much of the offence is trying to be started from the back end and when there are turn overs they are odd man rushes

more of the play needs to be side to side down deep in the offensive zones, then when turnovers happen there is less chance of odd man rushes

they did good in shot suppression and generating scoring chances

• Like 2

bo haven't seemed interested the entire preseason and this game.. maybe the contract negotiation is getting to him with the uncertainty of if the team is trying to trade him or not. JT already in mid season form with his defensive plays and blind pass.. Hoglander needs to come off EP's line and put in Podkolzin till Mikheyev is back.. defence is still terrible.. when playing mcdavid you literally needs to run at him and put his ass on the ice.. u can't back off and let him skate into or thru you.. EP kuz looked great.. even with the giveaway that lead to a goal with EP at least he was hassling to get back to defend.. unlike the other 3 players on the PP that didn't give a f as usual.. onto the next game.. this road trips looks brutal compared to the gimme last year playing 4 or 5 lottery team.. only gimme on the trip is against the flyers. washington new look columbus back to back wild will be rough lol.. it's not inconceivable we start the season 1-4.. hopefully we can steal a win in washington and columbus

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Demko didn’t deserve that loss. McDavid figured out the Canucks D fast. 

I noticed Canucks were losing gas in the 2nd. Probably forgot this team faced Avs in west finals last season. They play 60 minutes. I really thought Canucks 4 lines would do it. Philly is weaker team, should be good bounce back game. Work on that PP. 

6 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Just like the Canucks have to learn to change, so do Canucks fans haha

Instead of focussing on the 'same old same old" I'm going to say that I was enjoying the new forward lines. I really think Andrei Kuzmenko is going to bring an important element to the team. 

I also think that the Canucks oddly lost coverage of McDavid on a couple of the goals. He is THE best player in the NHL - NEVER drop coverage of him and let him skate away uncovered. 

The 3-0 part of the game was inspiring and shows what the Canucks can do, and the 3-5 part of the game shows how disciplined they have to be on not getting into a defensive mode or losing track of a teams's key players.

Actually the 3-5 part of the game shows Canucka have very weak D especially when Myers is out which makes them painfully inept. Tanev would never lose coverage on McDavid but too bad Benning thought he was a really smart and bold GM and didnt sign Tanev

58 minutes ago, Odd. said:

So we couldn’t start games to save our asses and now our team can’t finish games? Lost Calgary and Seattle during the pre season after red hot starts. 

We can’t be coasting after leads thinking that’s it. We need to learn to play a full 60 minutes. 

how does that happen though

many of these guys are 25-6-7