The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is it time to ask Bruce Boudreau to resign?

Rate this topic

AV.

13 hours ago, AV. said:

It's no secret we've not got off to the greatest of starts.  We've broken some records, but the wrong kinds.  Yikes!  This has me thinking:  Should we consider the long-term implications of what such a season might mean for our coach?

First thing is first, I am by no means asking to part ways with him for performance-related reasons.  He's been a beacon of positivity in an organization that's been rife with a fair amount of toxicity, negativity, and failure stemming from the top all the way down for many years now.  But the thing is, with each performance we have this season, it has to be hurting and deteriorating Bruce.  We're talking about one of the happiest and fiercest competitors out there, who's been successful everywhere he's gone.  He took over a young Caps team, shredded with them.  Went to a middling Ducks team, made them a powerhouse.  Hell, he even worked wonders with boring-ass Minnesota.  It looked like history was going to repeat itself here based off last season, but it hasn't quite gone to plan this season.

Bruce is turning 68 and he's no longer the energetic coach he once was.  He's talked numerous times about this being his last job, and about the importance of family and life after hockey.  Why ruin his swansong years with our team that clearly doesn't grasp the basics and even care to play a 200 foot, 60 minute game?  Poor guy looks disheveled out there giving press conferences.  He looks lost of answers, confused about what's going wrong.  Hell, his stubble isn't even maintained.  We should be worried for his mental health and well-being at his age.  It's awful and he deserves better.

So, how about it?  Saturday night, Canucks return home for their season opener.  Why not give him the send-off he deserves?  60 minutes of "Bruce, There It Is" and hopefully a win for the occasion.  Hand the reigns to Mike Yeo and let him work his "magic" (Being mediocre and missing the playoffs).

Big surprise!!! You’re at it again!! Get a life ffs! 

• Vintage 2

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

So why was Green the problem then?  I'd say he had an even worse lineup to work with.

For the record,. I don't think either coach is/was the issue, but BB seems to be getting a pass that tg didnt

Green had lost the room after YEARS of mediocrity. Bruce is still building his system after a little over half a season. 

No. There’s only so much a coach can do with a poorly constructed roster that is mentally fragile and struggles to get up for games.

We are no different than the Oilers we’re before McDavid and Draisital came along. The false hope that was pumped out from that organization trying to sell the likes of Hall, Eberle, and Nugent Hopkins as the future when in reality they were a poorly constructed, rudderless team who with an unbalanced core and an awful defence, not to mention grew numb to all the losing and it became a cultural cancer in the locker room, similar to what we are seeing here. 

It should have started a long time ago but changes to the core should have and need to be made. My opinion anyways. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

No. There’s only so much a coach can do with a poorly constructed roster that is mentally fragile and struggles to get up for games.

We are no different than the Oilers we’re before McDavid and Draisital came along. The false hope that was pumped out from that organization trying to sell the likes of Hall, Eberle, and Nugent Hopkins as the future when in reality they were a poorly constructed, rudderless team who with an unbalanced core and an awful defence, not to mention grew numb to all the losing and it became a cultural cancer in the locker room, similar to what we are seeing here. 

It should have started a long time ago but changes to the core should have and need to be made. My opinion anyways. 

And your opinion would be the correct one.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

So why was Green the problem then?  I'd say he had an even worse lineup to work with.

For the record,. I don't think either coach is/was the issue, but BB seems to be getting a pass that tg didnt

It's been 3 games so far....

Bruce had our team top 10 in the league (based on points %) during his time last season with exactly the same team as Green had.

If BB and the Canucks keep this up then fair enough, but it's only been 3 games, on the road with defensive injuries so I give him a pass considering the last 50 games he had us playing good enough to crack the top 10 (and top of the Pacific).

22 minutes ago, IRR said:

Good comeback…what are you 5?

What am I?  Emotionally intelligent, for one thing.  Stable from a mental perspective, I'd wager.

Regrettably, I don't think that's the case with you.  Sifting through some threads, I can see that others on here share this same sentiment regarding your behaviour.  The excess use of exclamation marks in every post, the complaining and whining about people complaining and whining, the constant attacks on users for sharing opinions and thoughts different from yours, not to mention the numerous insults and profane language you use towards others...all of it is quite concerning, and certainly not one I would expect from a purported adult.

You make a choice every day when you click a thread or interact with a user.  Nothing forces you to click a thread and an ignore function exists to block the people you don't appreciate to engage with.  Perhaps, you should ask yourself if your inability to take control of your circumstances makes you the vulnerable and dependent proverbial five year-old.

As always, I hope this helps.

Edited by AV.
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Think you hit the nail on the head here. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, AV. said:

What am I?  Emotionally intelligent, for one thing.  Stable from a mental perspective, I'd wager.

Regrettably, I don't think that's the case with you.  Sifting through some threads, I can see that others on here share this same sentiment regarding your behaviour.  The excess use of exclamation marks in every post, the complaining and whining about people complaining and whining, the constant attacks on users for sharing opinions and thoughts different from yours, not to mention the numerous insults and profane language you use towards others...all of it is quite concerning, and certainly not one I would expect from a purported adult.

You make a choice every day when you click a thread or interact with a user.  Nothing forces you to click a thread and an ignore function exists to block the people you don't appreciate to engage with.  Perhaps, you should ask yourself if your inability to take control of your circumstances makes you the vulnerable and dependent proverbial five year-old.

As always, I hope this helps.

It’s called being extremely tired of all the garbage you and a few others have consumed this forum with for the last year and a half / two years. Just like some have an issue with my approach calling some out (fair enough)…more people have an issue with you and the few others that have clearly had an agenda and spew the same thing over and over. You clearly never have anything good to say about this organization or any aspect of it…that’s been very clear over all this time. Are you even a fan?! Doesn’t seem like it! How long did it take you to turn on the new management and now Bruce? Benning, Travis and players before that? Aqualini? On and on. Same old agenda. So, go ahead, carry on…..

Edited by IRR
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

At the risk of this being satire, Bruce isn't a quitter. The last thing he would want is to be given a mercy hook from this mess. Why humiliate him that way?

The real person we should be demanding resign is Francesco Aquilini. Ultimately he is the main culprit responsible for the rot that has permeated within the organization since he replaced Gillis with Benning. Every problem that has been allowed to fester within the team from the front office to the locker room starts and ends with him. He has proven throughout this decade of mediocrity that he isn't patient or savvy enough to oversee a sustainably competent NHL franchise. Every rumour of micromanaging the team or abusing migrant workers or his children is just another distraction that detracts credibility from him and the Canucks.

I know that the Aquilinis selling the team is a pipe dream, so the only realistic hope is to force him to pass control of the franchise over to one of his brothers. After that, I hope he rots in hell. That's as much as I can say without breaking board rules.

Fans of other team which have crap owners would love to have FA as an owner.  He may not be an ideal human being depending on what is believed, but he spends the money to try to put a winning team together.  Management and coaching has been good enough so far, with management nowhere near the blubbering and blundering of the previous regime, This is completely on the players.  Professionals who for whatever reason have no desire to put in the hard work at one end of the ice.  Hell, at this point, I'd prefer a lineup consisting of Brad Marchand and Evander Kane clones up front and Radko Gudas clones behind the blue line than watching this bunch the way they are playing.  At least they'd put in the effort, and you know what, they'd win a lot more than they lose.      

4 minutes ago, IRR said:

It’s called being extremely tired of all the garbage you and a few others have consumed this forum with for the last year and a half / two years. Just like some have an issue with my approach calling some out (fair enough)…more people have an issue with you and the few others that have clearly had an agenda and spew the same thing over and over. You clearly never have nothing good to say about this organization or any aspect of it…that’s been very clear over all this time. Are you even a fan?! Doesn’t seem like it! How long did it take you to turn on the new management and now Bruce? Benning, Travis and players before that? Aqualini? On and on. Same old agenda. So, go ahead, carry on…..

First off, kudos to you for your using your words and writing something composed.  The more you communicate like this, the more people around you will respect you enough not to laugh at your behaviour and actually take you seriously.

Now, to address what you're saying, you are categorically incorrect.  The truth is, the people of this forum have warmed up to me, and importantly, I've definitely warmed up to some of the people around here.  That's a sign of a community that's learning to understand that it's perfectly fine to have differentiating opinions, that not everything that I, or they, disagree with is an inherent character flaw in that user, nor myself.  There was a time during the Benning era where it seemed like I was the enemy of the people, but once the things I was saying came true about Benning and his teams, many users realized I wasn't chatting non-sense and was simply offering the truth this whole time.  A moment of mass realization, if you will.  This will continue to be the case.

Perhaps, you should re-read this thread and see that I'm actually defending Bruce and calling out the team.  Again, don't let your emotions get the better of you.  Take a few moments to read.  Re-read if you have to.  Read it out loud and truly analyze what's being said, and this will help you be a much better thinker and poster.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Green had lost the room after YEARS of mediocrity. Bruce is still building his system after a little over half a season. 

BB runs the same systems as Green did, it shouldn't be much of an adjustment.......it's also been almost a year.

Again, I don't think either coach was really the issue, the issue is execution