The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is it time to ask Bruce Boudreau to resign?

Rate this topic

AV.

Management has not provided an adequate defence in order to actually succeed in the NHL. Period! Ownership let some Rookie GM destroy a billion dollar franchise for 8 years. Now they’ve hired another Rookie GM hoping for better results under a retired POHO way past his prime GM. You literally can’t make this stuff up! 

The typical Vancouver media is campaigning for Bruce to be fired when it isn't even his fault. Rutherford and his Pittsburgh friends aren't no better than the Benning regime. What was ownership thinking of hiring Rutherford. Current management has done nothing about the D, which was caused by Benning.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Management has not provided an adequate defence in order to actually succeed in the NHL. Period! Ownership let some Rookie GM destroy a billion dollar franchise for 8 years. Now they’ve hired another Rookie GM hoping for better results under a retired POHO way past his prime GM. You literally can’t make this stuff up! 

Ownership allowed Linden to hire Benning because they played briefly together with Canucks. Way to go Trev :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I think he's done a poor job of coaching this year but he isn't nearly as bad as this thread.

Jesus man. 

How is it Bruce's fault when the Canucks have blown multi leads in all 3 games, so far? The Canucks have the worst D in the entire league.

Edited by fivethej

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

"This is on the players not Bruce".

"This is on Green not the players".

Don't we have the same players now that Green had when he was fired?  I'm confused, whose fault is it, the players or the coach?

Wait until Bruce gets a full training camp and preseason with this group.  Sure, we are still waiting, the season has already started, and we lost the first 3 games.

The core is the same and two of BB Bo Miller has to go to make the core step up and be held accountable.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

But it was last year when they played the exact same way?

I don't think I've ever seen or met anyone as confrontational as you are lmao.

You must be a pleasure at every work function in your school.

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

But it was last year when they played the exact same way?

Well, to humour you, I'll bite as I always do...

Can you tell me what the defence group looked like last night, or the game before?  I'm sure there were a couple capable NHLers in the lineup.

23 minutes ago, gurn said:

I take this opportunity to ask the mods to leave this thread open.

It is after all a 'talk' forum.

Those that don't like this thread, can choose not to read it.

Free will is a great thing. Use it.

I appreciate this.

I will be the first to admit that this thread was made a bit light-heartedly, but I think the gist of my message is clear:  The Canucks are such an incomplete team at this moment and for somebody like Bruce with not a lot of time left in the game, the team is wasting his time.  He likely took this job thinking the core could be akin to what he had with Ovechkin/Backstrom/Semin/Carlson/Green, or Getzlaf/Perry/Fowler/Lindholm, or even Staal/Parise/Koivu/Suter/Dumba, but it hasn't been anywhere close to that.

FWIW, I obviously don't think we'd ask him to leave, but I'm encouraged by the responses in here that are criticizing the team instead of Bruce.  It shows we're moving beyond this thinking that Green/Baumgartner were entirely culpable for last season's performance, and that Bruce himself, as good as he is, isn't some saviour that can patch all of the holes.

• Cheers 3

Don't think BB is the problem, management not finding us a defenceman and our special teams coaches are the problem.

5 on 5 we've been the best team in all 3 games and that's really where Bruce helps but something's got to stop these momentum changes. BB tried to call a timeout in Washington but to no avail.

Problem is this leadership group haven't come ready to play this season.

13 hours ago, AV. said:

It's no secret we've not got off to the greatest of starts.  We've broken some records, but the wrong kinds.  Yikes!  This has me thinking:  Should we consider the long-term implications of what such a season might mean for our coach?

First thing is first, I am by no means asking to part ways with him for performance-related reasons.  He's been a beacon of positivity in an organization that's been rife with a fair amount of toxicity, negativity, and failure stemming from the top all the way down for many years now.  But the thing is, with each performance we have this season, it has to be hurting and deteriorating Bruce.  We're talking about one of the happiest and fiercest competitors out there, who's been successful everywhere he's gone.  He took over a young Caps team, shredded with them.  Went to a middling Ducks team, made them a powerhouse.  Hell, he even worked wonders with boring-ass Minnesota.  It looked like history was going to repeat itself here based off last season, but it hasn't quite gone to plan this season.

Bruce is turning 68 and he's no longer the energetic coach he once was.  He's talked numerous times about this being his last job, and about the importance of family and life after hockey.  Why ruin his swansong years with our team that clearly doesn't grasp the basics and even care to play a 200 foot, 60 minute game?  Poor guy looks disheveled out there giving press conferences.  He looks lost of answers, confused about what's going wrong.  Hell, his stubble isn't even maintained.  We should be worried for his mental health and well-being at his age.  It's awful and he deserves better.

So, how about it?  Saturday night, Canucks return home for their season opener.  Why not give him the send-off he deserves?  60 minutes of "Bruce, There It Is" and hopefully a win for the occasion.  Hand the reigns to Mike Yeo and let him work his "magic" (Being mediocre and missing the playoffs).

Cave Troll GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

21 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Don't think BB is the problem, management not finding us a defenceman and our special teams coaches are the problem.

5 on 5 we've been the best team in all 3 games and that's really where Bruce helps but something's got to stop these momentum changes. BB tried to call a timeout in Washington but to no avail.

Problem is this leadership group haven't come ready to play this season.

So why was Green the problem then?  I'd say he had an even worse lineup to work with.

For the record,. I don't think either coach is/was the issue, but BB seems to be getting a pass that tg didnt