The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets | Oct. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Would it leave a hole though?

Im sure we can find a 3c who is good at face offs for less than 7.5mill.  
Also, Bo sucks defensively. Sure he gets deployed there a lot, but we lose a lot of games….

Bo is a great player, but with Petey emerging as a number 1 this season, Bo can be replaced with a defensive minded 3c for fairly cheap.  

how many 3c out there in the league capable of matching up against top lines consistently for 18-20 mins a night can be had? not many? and how many are available? even less? with Miller being a liability out there defensively we can't afford to have him line up against the mcdavids of the world. we tried a cheap defenisve minded 3c didn't we? the name is jason dickinson.. how did that go? oh right we traded a 2nd and 3rd round pick for it and ended up with a 7/8th defenceman. bo is less of an issue than Miller is right now.. even if bo doesn't show up to the game offensively he doesn't hurt the team like miller does.. Miller is literally single handedly tanking the season for the canucks so far.. he's what? -5 -6? been on like 10-12 goals against now just 4 games into the season? Miller said all the right thing after being on the ice for all 8 goals against.. he hasn't shown any improvement since.. if this is the trend.. his contract is already worse than LE and it haven't even kicked in yet.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I disagree on OEL. He's far and away our best D man behind Hughes (despite being overpaid by about a million). 

And Myers. A little overpaid but a decent Dman. Then we have like nothing. Schenn but he plays too much. 

• Cheers 3

It's obviously still early but I really wish our team would learn not to hand 6+ year contracts to 30 year olds. When do retirement contracts work out for the team? Myers' is probably our best one. There are few players that I think should be inked a year prior to their contract expiration. Do we think JT would have had a better year if he was still playing for his next contract or will have a better year this year having already secured the 56million? He doesn't look overly motivated at this juncture. But it is a long season so hopefully things turn around.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

So disappointed in Miller. Even supported moving Bo to keep him. That effort in OT…going to take a lot to earn my respect again. Not just putting up points but being responsible defensively and putting in 100% effort.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Gotta move Miller to the wing, he is a liability at center

Miller's extension is looking bad. He is more deserving of being a healthy scratch than Garland. His line was bad again tonight. Whoever he plays with looks bad. I thought all along that the Canucks should have taken the deal the Rangers offered at the deadline. They would be a better team now if they had and would have another first round pick in the system as well. I thought JR was smart enough to realize that big (and long term) contracts for players at or just past "peak age" are almost always losers. Although I got the sense that it was Allvin who really wanted to re-sign Miller.

If Kuz plays with Petey he looks good. If he plays with Miller he looks bad.

And what about Miller's talk about about being ready to go from Day 1 and playing better defence.

On the bright side, Miller has to improve as the season goes on. He was actually a bit better tonight.

Maybe putting him on the wing is ok. But then who plays center?

• Cheers 2

Im fucking done with this team. Until they win win a game, im not wasting a single minute watching them. Piece of shits not worth the mental headache.

How could you. Lose 4 games while up 2+ goals? You fucking kidding me. This is fucking insane. 4 games up 2 goals or more. It’s outrageous, pathetic. No support from me until they win. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

53 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yeah perhaps the offseason (lead up to and having a baby) messed with his training regime? Who knows, he doesn’t look good right now though and he’s only bringing it upon himself. Hope he turns it around quick because his play is not leadership material atm.

Right on. Bo needs to lose some baby fat!

25 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Alvin the idiot just dished out a free contract to Boeser in the off season.

Now is the time to trade him in my opinion.  This may not be a popular opinion here, but despite understanding the stuff he's gone through lately, I've been wanting him traded for a couple of years now.  He's valuable to a team, can hit solid scoring numbers and should still be very tradable for good return.  With that said, I just don't see him as being the versatile player we need, nor do I think his cool as a cucumber style is helpful when you're not in a playoff group of teams.  

Honestly at this point it's probably a good move to explore trading Boeser, Hogz and possibly Horvat.  Not because they're bad, but because it's probably what we have to do.  It pains me to write this but if that's what it would take to fix the D for the future, that's absolutely what this team should do.  Miller and OEL's contracts aren't going anywhere. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Im fucking done with this team. Until they win win a game, im not wasting a single minute watching them. Piece of shits not worth the mental headache.

How could you. Lose 4 games while up 2+ goals? You fucking kidding me. This is fucking insane. 4 games up 2 goals or more. It’s outrageous, pathetic. No support from me until they win. 

Will Ferrell Locker Room GIF by Ben L

im gonna say it now. Anyone losing their mind, getting angry angry, or letting this losing impact their own mental health / team support have to take a look in the mirror when judging our players mental strength / fortitude. 

this is a high pressure game; in a pressure cooker environment.

imagine in your job if you made a mistake or didn’t give it 110% for every single minute on the clock you’d get ripped apart by 10s of thousands of people. 

I want more from them, I expect more but this is sports and ur A fan. Just be a fan. They going through some shit rn they gonna pull through and our energy can help them.

FEEEEEL THE ENERGY

if you can’t watch / support or endure the pain of losing then take a break for sure but this is hockey baby 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

By the numbers and by the eye-test OEL was our best D tonight and the OEL/Myers pair was by far the best pair. 

Hughes has more potential than OEL as he is young enough to still be improving and OEL is on the wrong side of the aging curve, but OEL has been the better player so far this year. Hughes does not look 100%. He was ill to start the season and has been overworked since then. I think he is being asked to do too much (which is understandable given the weakness on the blueline.)

"Burying" players in the minors is useless. Their entire cap hit counts except for about 1.1 million. But, as I said,. OEL continues to be very valuable. Past his prime and a bit overpaid, yes, but still very good.

Agree o

100% the flu and broken nose or whatever has had him off to a slower start. He doesn’t look himself especially with how he’s passing the puck and making decisions 

• Upvote 1