The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Was at the game. Great win, fun atmosphere. The loud and obnoxious Pens superfan sitting in front of us was looking pretty glum in the 3rd. ::D Martin was excellent. And so nice to celebrate Canucks goals. I thought, and they did this with their backup goalie and without Hughes, Boeser and Lazar, (Bear), etc? I was impressed and they might have turned a corner. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, you just have to look at the numbers and there’s no denying Hughes is a #1.

27+ minutes per game, all situations usage, most PP minutes/game (by a lot), top-4 in PK minutes/game, matchups against top lines (Hughes’s highest 5v5TOI centre matchup this season, like last season, was head-to-head against Connor McDavid), QualComp stats near the highest on the D (Hughes plays above average minutes versus first line players, even while the team also looks to exploit weaker matchups when possible).

His overall profile screams #1D.

Of course, Hughes (like many of our players) hasn’t quite had the start he’d have liked, and hasn’t played to his own standards, but there’s no question he’s being deployed as a #1D, just like he was last year.

And despite the team’s rough start, he’s still on pace for around 80 points, and there’s a good chance he’ll reach that this season. I expect to see his underlying numbers also stabilize as the team settles into performance levels more in-keeping with the strength of the roster, and the individual players.

I dont think ppl here can grasp the simple idea that Just because you have a dman logging 25 plus mins doesnt make then a #1 dman.  It just means hes our best option at this point.   Weve seen his play falter while hes logged minutes, and defensively he has looked atrocious.  If you need to be reminded, go take a look at game day threads- theres a ton of posters who have pointed out his deficiencies on a game by game basis. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I dont think ppl here can grasp the simple idea that Just because you have a dman logging 25 plus mins doesnt make then a #1 dman.  It just means hes our best option at this point.   Weve seen his play falter while hes logged minutes, and defensively he has looked atrocious.  If you need to be reminded, go take a look at game day threads- theres a ton of posters who have pointed out his deficiencies on a game by game basis. 

GDT are the worst place to gather people's opinion. Emotional, kneejerk and sometimes a troll fest. 

If those threads were the barometer then Bo, Demko, JT and EP( a lot last year) are just a few that have been crucified. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My head go boom, too. I repeated this in the wrong section.

My head would go boom if I spoke Russian two months in a row too, Kuz. It's all good.

59 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My head go boom, too. I repeated this in the wrong section.

My head would go boom if I spoke Russian two months in a row too, Kuz. It's all good.

They hockey good

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

But what about that JT guy?

Playing with one foot and still smashing guys around out there. In't he something???  :towel:

Is gotten so upside down, when JT scored the empty netter I thought ...'oh ,some people will be angry he got that' 

Hope folks start getting what he brings more this season since it looks like he will be here for a while. 

But man, I really like the Bo and JT line. Two tough point producing dudes that can win face offs and Garland buzzing around like a maniac. That line has the potential to give many teams absolute fits. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

This argument youre making is only going to lose you credibility 

you will never win it because you are wrong

best to cut bait pal and keep whatever cred you still have

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, billabong said:

Bruce finally found the right combo in the top 6 

miller-horvat-garland

kuzmenko-pettersson-mikheyev 

those 6 guys are leading the charge and that’s the way this team is designed to win 

horvat is playing with the best line mates of his career in a year BOOSTING his trade value …coincidence? Perhaps 

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

I think it may lead to Bo being resigned, JR & Allvin need to see they have something that will work, I think that's the current process. If they get on a roll with those pairings then Brock might be the odd man out and Kuzmenko would essentially take his spot. 

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

But what about that JT guy?

Playing with one foot and still smashing guys around out there. In't he something???  :towel:

I thought Rathbone had the best game of his Canuck tenure. He was holding to ozone line well and moving the puck very well. There are new bodies coming into the lineup and returning injury players. I am hoping that Rathbone stays in for 20 games so that we can get a better idea of his potential. Some fans want to trade him but that is a tad quick as we haven't seen enough of him. Everytime I look at Florida I groan over how well Forsling is playing. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

GDT are the worst place to gather people's opinion. Emotional, kneejerk and sometimes a troll fest. 

If those threads were the barometer then Bo, Demko, JT and EP( a lot last year) are just a few that have been crucified. 

Look. you can either get your Canucks news here or from; Image result for national enquirer magazine crazy headlineImage result for national enquirer magazine crazy headlineImage result for national enquirer magazine crazy headlineNational Enquirer Magazine Headlines Pick your poison

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Pits is too good not to get a few of those. Sid was doing his full routine last night, which are the nights I can't stand him. Still like him better than McBaby but man he knows how to play the game management thing.

Is it just me, or do we seem to have more active sticks this year breaking up plays?

I think that Pittsburgh is a team that Rutherford and Allvin want to use as a model for the future Canucks.  The Canucks don't have players who are the stature of Crosby and Malkin but along with Letang, those three can really control the play particularly on the PP

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

yeah its funny, a lot of us tend to cling to one particular prospect or another but we all do it. He was an interesting prospect, but yeah, not quite enough at the end of the day. 

Ohhhh you bet JM. Been guilty of that many times over the years. I’ve seen lots of guys on our farm that I thought for sure would make, only to flop once they get to the NHL. Darren Archibald was a big one for me. He was everything to Utica, but every time he played on the NHL he looked like a shell of what he was in the AHL.

Some guys just can’t break through that barrier. I think part of it is mental as in confidence and drive, but a lot of times it’s just the talent level isn’t there and that’s hard to train into a guy…by the time some of these long term prospects are ready they have aged out, coaches or management or both have changed, and the opinions on the player himself has changed and then boom they’re 25 and done, stuck as a tweener in the AHL or off to Europe they go.

Still great hockey players, just got lost in the mix of things and took too long to develop. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that Pittsburgh is a team that Rutherford and Allvin want to use as a model for the future Canucks.  The Canucks don't have players who are the stature of Crosby and Malkin but along with Letang, those three can really control the play particularly on the PP

yep they can. Last night was a good win, in part because its a game we should win at home with it being the last game of a western trip for Pits. But they also didn't want to lose 3 straight so the effort was there. They were clearly tired but still dangerous.